Forums Latest Members

The "Untouchable" eBay Watch - really Silver?

1. NT931 Nov 20, 2015

Came across this and couldn't help chuckling
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gen...438998?hash=item25b18a93d6:g:kqIAAOSwl9BWGUTfPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Case, dial, crown, even crystal are untouchable! How am I supposed to wear it?? Perhaps the seller means the watch is unmolested... :whistling:

The seller says the case & caseback are solid silver, which got me thinking:
    1. how often were these watches of that era made of silver?
    2. how do you tell if the case / caseback is silver, based on a bunch of ebay photos? (the caseback says Acier Inoxydable ... hmm :cautious:) I don't see any marks indicating silver, although some googling told me that these marks weren't consistently done.

Any experience with silver cases / caseback, guys? Thanks!

2. khmt2 Nov 20, 2015

Looks like a twin of my chrome plated case EP. Probably chrome plated as well - silver being the colour rather than material. :confused:

20151117_082322_HDR~01.jpg

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Nov 20, 2015

Got a couple of watches that I believe to be composed of silver (Ag), among other things. The first has hallmarks that I deciphered with the invaluable help of David Boettcher and his website: http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/casemarks.php

IMG_4849 - Copy (591x640).jpg

The second also has hallmarks (albeit less conventional ones) that I have yet to decode. However, an extract from Longines' archives seems to confirm my observations.

kk.PNG

khmt2 likes this.
  4. NT931 Nov 21, 2015

Cool, learned something new, thanks guys! Much more for me to understand about the arcana of vintage cases.

5. PHPHD Nov 24, 2015

Also, the seller of the EP says '... Silver steel' about the case back... Not sure what to make about that.