Forums Latest Members

The under-loved, unappreciated, often overlooked Rolex dress watch...

1. Walrus Apr 1, 2021

I really like that very straightforward. I had a cellini for many years. I really did like it for a while but it was a quartz model and solid gold. Sold it to one of those online dealers, didn’t lose any money but a month later they had it up for like 14,000 dollars. I didn’t get anywhere near that of course and I hope no one payed that much for it. I’m not anti quartz, I prefer mechanical or automatic but if it looks nice I’m ok with quartz. I like that one you are showing as you gotta double check most of the time rolexes are very distinguishable this one I wouldn’t think Rolex off the rip. @Duracuir1 that is an interesting one you picked up but I’m a sucker for odd color dials

Duracuir1 and Spruce like this.
  2. Walrus Apr 1, 2021

JW I saw that same type of letter. I stopped by just to say hello to my watchmaker last year, he had a nice vintage Rolex on his table. I just gave it a quick look asked him if he had been doing many Rolex lately a customer had brought him the watch and the letter from Rolex that stated something like “you have enjoyed this watch for sixty years we feel it’s in your best interest to purchase a new Rolex as we will no longer be serving your watch.” It was written better than I am quoting but it was quite shocking, I couldn’t help but laugh but it’s not funny. The owner was in his 30’s and it was his fathers watch so it meant a lot to him. I don’t know how common it is for Rolex to do that but yup, they do it. So they are telling you to buy a watch you can’t buy anyway unless you are hooked up with an AD. ..... sad

JwRosenthal and DaveK like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Apr 1, 2021

...and this is why I consider Rolex a dead brand like Bulova or Longines (as they used to be, not as they are now). All of the ones I own or want are unsupported by the company- so they are literally, dead to me. The secondary market and independent watchmakers who are not Rolex affiliated are my mean of keeping my watches alive. It really doesn’t bother me, I am a proud Zodiac owner so I am used to hunting for months to find a part.

Duracuir1 likes this.