Forums Latest Members
  1. Fattony Sep 30, 2017

I have to confess that when I was able to buy my completely original one owner 105 003 .63 recently I thought that was the best "drawer" find watch I would ever get offered .

Well this weeks events have blown that out of the water ,On Wednesday morning I received an email from a gent in Ireland who was sorting through his recently deceased uncles belongings and found an old Omega and asked could I help him with it .Curiosity engaged I called him and after we had chatted for a while asked for some images.
    when you see the images you will begin to imagine how I felt ,This lovely bloke had stumbled onto what many of us will never get close to .

We chatted several times over the following days and I am both pleased and saddened to report that in the end my advice to him was to pursue the auction avenue with the piece ,he didn't need a quick sale and as we discussed he really needs to maximize the return from this opportunity for all his family.

The watch will be the highlight at one of the major auction houses New York sale coming up soon .
    The point of the post is two share the wonderful find and pose the question what else is sat in a drawer waiting to be found?

Enjoy the pics

Thanks Tony 2915.2.jpg 2915.2 case back.jpg 2915.2 case back ext.jpg 2915.jpg

Syrte, Vulffi, davidswiss and 43 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 30, 2017

20? 25? or >?

3. Dgercp Sep 30, 2017

Interesting that O in Omega looks more like a -1 dial.

4. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 30, 2017

Wow this really just one upped your drawer find record. what did he say when you told him what it’s worth?

nonuffinkbloke and Nathan1967 like this.
  5. Fattony Sep 30, 2017

general train of thought is this will make well north of £70 k and he is a very happy man lol

Jwit, Baz9614 and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 30, 2017

Will be interesting to see where this one ends up

Looks like a great piece and you certainly seem to have done the right thing by the owner by giving him appropriate advice Tony.

Will be interesting to see how speedy sales go over the next few months, especially at auction, IMHO the market has slowed quite a bit, hopefully just temporarily.

When well respected dealers like you and Darren have nice speedies like the 105.003's in the dealer sales section hanging around and even being dramatically reduced in some cases then without doubt the market has slowed.

Speedies are clearly great investments and prices continue to sky rocket but I've noticed some amazing watches of the right quality both here on the forum and on the bay not selling for prices which I would consider reasonable.

Cheers tom

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 30, 2017

I would hope a stop at STS is in its future. Good on you for steering him in the right direction.

8. Timmert Sep 30, 2017

I should check my drawers more often.. What an amazing find!

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  9. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Sep 30, 2017

Truly unbelievable!! And kudos to you for giving him proper advice. I firmly believe in karma in the watch world and this will no doubt come back around in the future. Please keep us updated on where it ends up!

10. robocaspar Sep 30, 2017

Very nice find. Very nice gesture from OP!

11. dbane007 Sep 30, 2017

Wow. Very honorable of you to steer him to the auction. I imagine at worst it will fetch $70-80k on the low end and upwards of $150k on the upper end. I’m sure it was a privilege just getting the call to provide advice. Good for you.

nonuffinkbloke, Mark020 and bazamu like this.
  12. Dash1 Oct 1, 2017

Lovely original example! Well done all round Tony.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  13. MAJ75 Oct 1, 2017

I always love to read stories like this one.

Good on you Tony for having the integrity to administer such sound advice, you are an asset to the community here.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with the board.

nonuffinkbloke, noelekal and trackpad like this.
  14. Fattony Oct 1, 2017

Christie's in New York will be its destination so it be great to see what it does end up at .
    Just wish I had an Uncle !

15. BAJJ Oct 1, 2017

Hi Guys,
    Fascinated by this, I am intrigued by the whole speed master story. Would you be able to tell me what is so special about this watch, is it a 321 calibre? What gives it the 70k+ value.
    Genuine questions, thanks
    BAJJ

16. tyrantlizardrex Oct 1, 2017

Hey Bajj,

Fair questions.... but there's a lot to the answers.... and a ton of it has been covered before in a lot of depth

If you head on over to www.speedmaster101.com and have a read first, you should get answers to your questions. :thumbsup:

nonuffinkbloke and JohnLy like this.
  17. Tom Dick and Harry Oct 1, 2017

Quite simply it's the first of the first, the 2915 was the first speedmaster produced and in relatively small numbers. The 321 movement is not what add the value so to speak it is the reference, condition and completeness.

Finding an original one is very difficult to do because so many were serviced over the years and things like dials, bezels and hands replaced.

The value is determined by its rarity and its condition, this one is in exemplary original condition and other than the later 70's rally band looks very complete

There are a lot of speedmaster fanatics right here on the forum with very deep pockets who will no doubt take a keen interest in this one

Hope this helps

Tom

18. BAJJ Oct 1, 2017

Thanks guys,
    i'll check out the speedmaster101

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  19. panaitchrono Oct 1, 2017

Yes very nice gesture from OP..I'm sorry that I'll never find one of this in my drawer..but maybe my grand grand.. children will do..I'll work for that..:)

nonuffinkbloke and red crowned like this.
  20. stefman Oct 1, 2017

What a drawer find! Sadly, I don’t know anyone with nice watches in drawers. Kudos to @Fattony for steering the owner towards maximizing the sale proceeds. Well done.