Forums Latest Members
  1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 5, 2013

I know Kommis has one of these because he posted pictures of it in another thread but I recently bought one off eBay. It was described as "not working". What really attracted me to this watch was the fact that it has the NSA bracelet - rare to see one of these.

When it arrived, I gave it a gentle shake and was rewarded by a horrible tinny rattling sound - no wonder it was described as not working. The good surprise was that it started ticking and ran for a good 45 minutes before stopping so there's not too much wrong with it. I guess the seller had tried to take off the back to photograph it and had failed because there are scars in the case back from a Jaxa tool. Fortunately, they gave up before damaging the cut-outs. Having failed with the rubber ball, I took the back off with my Horotec Mini Press. I would implore you all to invest in a decent tool to avoid causing damage to your watches - you'd be surprised how grateful you will be.

Anyway, here are the pictures:
    DSC00561.jpg

First the NSA bracelet.
    DSC00563.jpg
    A good tight clasp and no discernible free play in the links.

Original crown

DSC00568.jpg

The case back. Note some of the apparent damage is actually reflection.

DSC00567.jpg

The worst of the three Jaxa scars
    DSC00573.jpg

A bit of a poke around and the cause of the tinny rattle was obvious - a broken staff for the oscillating weight. A quick trawl around the internet and I sourced a new one for €20 rather than the £36 from my usual parts supplier. When it turns up, I'll update this post with a quick fix for a not uncommon problem.

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

MMMD likes this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

No pictures/

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 5, 2013

For some reason, the site wouldn't let me upload images from my hard drive - only upload files or URLs

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

No problem for me. What procedure are you using? BTW images are files.

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 5, 2013

Only seeing the first photo so far, but I like it. Looks like you have elevated your photographic game. :) Nice watch too.

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Nice watch, I can see all the pics now. :thumbsup:

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 5, 2013

The photography is a cheat. I didn't want to waste valuable watch money on a macro lens so I dug out the old 50mm F2.8 lens from the SLR box, stuck a Hoya close up (+3) filter on it then bunged that on the DSLR - zero cost upgrade but no depth of field.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Yet another in the string of late 60s-early 70s Zenith odd to look at, but which work remarkably well on the wrist, the turtle-cased Captain was an initial turn off for me until I got to handle one. Instant 180 degree change of opinion!

Glad this one is going to be an easy fix - I love it when a watch-buy gamble pays off!

9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 12, 2013

Hi
    Is this the official turtle thread?
    regards
    JE
    [​IMG]

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Welcome mate, that's a lot of turtles you have there!

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

That's right - welcome to the forum - glad you found your way here, JE! I know you have a particularly bad infestation of turtles at your house.:D

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 12, 2013

Thanks!
    Yes, but I actually let one of the gold ones go just yesterday. The one with the anglo-word order. It gets a happy home with a fellow collector here in Sweden. How is the the "french connection"-watch doing?
    regards
    JE

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Spectacular. Sacrilegious to say it, but I like it better than the Cairelli.

14. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 12, 2013

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Those are brilliant. You have a particularly good collector's eye for gold, and a fair bit of photographic skill to make those watches look extremely rich.

UG is the most ignored watch manufacture on the WWW. There are lots of connoisseur collectors, but not a forum to be found.

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 19, 2013

Confession time.

I had nothing small enough to unlock the oscillating weight (the jewel and locking ring is only just over 2mm in diameter) and I couldn't find anywhere to buy a special tool. As the weight has "Chronometer" engraved on it, I didn't want to try brute force and leave myself in the position of having to replace the weight with a service part, so I took it to a local watchmaker with the new pivot. £150 for a service and to remove the scratches seemed like a good price. Hopefully, I'll have it back this week.

MMMD likes this.
  17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 19, 2013

Way to recognize the fine line between watchmaker and watchbreaker. You're already one step ahead of many professionals.

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 11, 2013

..... and here it is, collected at lunchtime. They have done a fantastic job on the case - the Jaxa scars are completely gone, as are the minor ones on the side of the case.

DSC00590.jpg

LouS likes this.
  19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

That really turned out rather well. Amazing how well the appropriate bracelet works on these pieces.

When you have a moment, do you suppose you could post a pic of the endpiece? I believe that these NSA endpieces have no code on the reverse, so I'll have to find one by pattern recognition.

20. ulackfocus Feb 11, 2013

Now it definitely meets the "ooooo, shiny!" mandate. :thumbsup: