Forums Latest Members

The Time 4A Pint Podcast #17: The Eccentricities of Watch Collecting, from Presley to Apollo...

1. tyrantlizardrex Aug 4, 2017

#17: The Eccentricities of Watch Collecting, from Presley to Apollo, with Patrick.

It's Friday, it's podcast day!

For Episode 17 of the Time 4A Pint podcast, we grabbed the opportunity to spend a morning with Patrick, who was visiting London from Luxembourg, and talked through some of the interesting pieces from his eccentrically, eclectic collection of horological goodies.

BradleyEONE.jpg

On the show today: a Hamilton Ventura XXL (in homage to Elvis Presley), a 1989 Rolex Datejust Two Tone, a Schroeder Skeleton Watch, an Eone Bradley, a Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43, and an Omega Speedmaster Apollo 15 40th Anniversary Limited Edition.

Listen Now

Edited Aug 4, 2017
    Ken G and khmt2 like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Aug 6, 2017

Hope everyone who's listened has enjoyed hearing about Patrick's eclectic collection.

I found it quite interesting to see the addition of a two-tone datejust, given this was once upon a time, such a standard "bankers watch".

Quite taken by the shininess.

IMG_7877.JPG

LiquidSolid likes this.
  3. lillatroll Aug 6, 2017

@tyrantlizardrex. Out of all the watches you have seen during the making of your series, which watch or watches have you liked/loved that you didn't think you would like before seeing them in the flesh?

4. tyrantlizardrex Aug 6, 2017

Good question.

I start from a baseline of liking everything - so it's been more the other way around, getting to see/hold things in person a discovering that they're either better than I imagined, or really not for me.

I suppose the thing that I thought I liked, and have come away feeling otherwise about the most are the straight lugged Speedmasters.

I've also found that despite having a fondness for a lot of Rolex designs, I've not yet met one that I'd like to own myself.

lillatroll and Larry S like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 6, 2017

You mean we have not succeeeded in infecting you with the UG virus?

6. tyrantlizardrex Aug 7, 2017

Sadly no Larry.

I like the later stuff from the Clapton/Nina era - but those are in a, to me, unjustifiable price bracket.

The earlier ones like yours, and Jonas, are beautiful things, but not things I'd pay for or wear myself.

Just not my style. :thumbsup: