Forums Latest Members

The Thrill is in the Hunt...UG Compax Story

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 8, 2016

Passion drives us in this hobby, and we will move mountains to get to a watch we want. I wanted to share a story of how a chance meeting led to me tracking down a hidden gem in the middle of Eastern NC. Damn I love this hobby!

Yesterday afternoon after getting my wife's car inspected, I ran over to a pawn shop to check things out. At the jewelry counter was a fellow discussing a GMT II for sale at another pawn shop for $3800.

I chimed in, and struck up a conversation. Turns out he is an amateur watchmaker and dabbles in trading watches. We talked shop, and played the name game, and knew quite a few folks in common. He uncovers a lot of great pieces, and should be a great resource for future pieces.

During our convo he mentioned that someone in a small town about an away had a 1963 Speedmaster for sale...for $3600. Needless to say I asked was wrong with it, and he said that the dial didn't look right. He mentioned that the owner was a watchmaker.

After trading business cards, I returned to my car, and went straight to the Google machine. I knew the town, but didn't know the business name, so I started by searching watchmakers...no results. Then went to jewelry and pawn...10 results...I started dialing.

On call number 9, after asking if anyone dealt in vtg watches, specifically Speedmaster, the girl told to try ABC Company.

I called ABC, and spoke to the owner who said that he didn't have any Speedmasters, but he had a customer that may had some. I had come this far, so figured what the hell and asked, "I heard that someone in town was selling a 1963 Speedmaster...you know anything about it?"

"Yes, it's mine, but I am not selling."

"I heard that you entertained $3.6k...I would be a buyer in the $5-6k range depending on the watch."

That got his attention.

As I asked questions about the watch, it was clear that it had a DN90 bezel, 861 handset, and a long indices, Swiss Made, Professional step dial with a painted logo...clearly a service. I let him know what he had at my best estimate, and felt a little dejected, when he piped in, "Since you so knowledgeable about Omega, do you know anything about Universal Geneve?"

"Yes, a little, what do you have?"

"Well, I am not sure. It is the same size as the Speedy, but no outer bezel. Silver dial."

"How long will you be at your shop?"

"Until 5."

"Great, heading your way."

It was 3:30, and I had an 1hr+ trip to Eastern NC.

En route I let the wife know what I was doing...she was not happy...but screw it, I was on the hunt.

Arrived at 4:35, and after having looked at the watch for a few minutes, I made an offer, and he accepted. I beat out a local dealer who sources many of his watches from this seller. So now I just had to find a BOA...before 5.

My GPS routed me in a massive circle and I ended up at the gates of a military installation...no BOA in sight...and it was 4:58.

I drove back to the shop, quasi defeated, and asked if I could come back with cash in the morning, and he said it was fine.

After a horrible night of sleep imagining him reneging on the deal, I got up this morning, put in the time with the family, and headed out.

I have conveniently left out the part of the wife flipping her shit and threatening to remove me from a bank account, but that is another story for another time.

I made it to the shop, and bought the watch (thanks to those who helped me on the thread last night, as I was clueless to this UG reference, and all UG for that matter).

While it needs a new set of pushers, a crystal, a service, and has a replacement crown, it runs like a top, and I love the look. So without further adieu, here is my 1963 Universal Geneve 22407-1 with a V72 UG cal130 movement.

20160708_141623.jpg 20160708_141443.jpg 20160708_145407.jpg 20160708_141753.jpg 20160708_144855.jpg 20160708_151720.jpg 20160708_151741.jpg 20160708_151921.jpg

Edited Jul 8, 2016
  2. Bushido Jul 8, 2016

Awesome story to read and well told. Congratulations!

3. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jul 8, 2016

Cool story. Your post title reminded me of Motorhead's "Chase Is Better Than The Catch"; just youtubed it and it's still awesome

Linzer and Archer like this.
  4. leetse2 Jul 8, 2016

Great story and find. These types of stories keep me motivated to continue searching.

Vitezi likes this.
  5. ELV web Jul 8, 2016

I got a very similar one, probably made out of the factory just a year or two ahead of yours with a cal 281 inside. Great win you made out of the hunt :).

Mine says hi (although the it has been sitting at the watchmaker for ages)

image.jpeg
    Northernman and watchknut like this.
  6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 8, 2016

Your wife just called me and sold me the watch...im in route.

cristos71, aap, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 8, 2016

Pretty sure she would be happy for me to sell this one...luckily there is a queue of nice forum members who have so kindly reached out to me offering, out of the goodness of their hearts, to take this poor little guy off my hands :)

8. littlesheep81 Jul 9, 2016

Congrats! Great find.

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 9, 2016

Wonderful story! :)

10. ossfm Jul 9, 2016

Well done. You're like the American Pickers of watches. Somehow I had the impression you lived in Europe. I guess I was wrong unless this was a vacation for you. That would be a heck of a vacation!

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 9, 2016

The beauty of OF and IG is that they give you an international perspective on watches. Over the last year my tastes and collection have been heavily influenced by European and Asian collectors, so thinking I am from Europe shows that I am heading in the right direction of emulating those whom I admire most.

I am glad people enjoy my story, as it shows that with some good luck, sleuthing, and persistence, you can uncover great pieces.

While ebay is awesome, finding watches the old fashion way, face to face, is still the best.

Northernman likes this.
  12. wristpirate Jul 9, 2016

Great story, especially loved "what I was doing...she was not happy...but screw it, I was on the hunt."
    Brings back happy memories with the missus!

13. wristpirate Jul 9, 2016

Btw by IG do you mean Instagram?

14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 9, 2016

Yessir

15. wristpirate Jul 9, 2016

:thumbsup:Good job I had my Sherlock hat on

16. aap Jul 9, 2016

Great story, congratulations on the watch :)

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 9, 2016

A shot of the blued steel hands...
    IMG_20160709_105513.jpg

18. Perseus Jul 14, 2016

What an awesome story!