Forums Latest Members
  1. racingsnake Feb 17, 2014

Newbie forum member here, and I thought you might like to hear how I came to own this watch.

As a small boy in the 70's, my Dad had the most amazing thing I had ever seen. An Omega Seamaster. I lusted after it and as the years passed my Dad and I often laughed at how I wanted to inherit the watch so badly that I might arrange an early demise for him. ;o) He even went to the trouble of wearing it in preference to his other watches when we saw each other....

Anyhow, he passed away suddenly in April the year before last and I have had the watch since then. My dream watch, but not for the value in it, but for the emotion of owning it. When I look at it I see the holidays we had in Wales, St Davids. The times my Dad would take me out into the sea and throw me off his shoulders into the sea for the laughs. Swimming up to him the first thing I'd notice as the sea water cleared was a big wrist with a gleaming Seamaster around it. I remember his hand on the wheel of our family car, a Rover 2000 P6, and the watch poking out from his motorcycle gloves when he rode.

I am incredibly proud to own it, and love the watch. I'll post pictures of it as soon as I can. It is ion need of some TLC cosmetically as the thing was worn almost daily, and I swap between it and my Brietling.

I'll be wanting to try a few straps on it, so what do you guys recommend, and where to buy?

Regards,

Jim

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 17, 2014

That's a very touching story, look forward to seeing the pics when it is back from the watchmakers

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2014

My tip would be buying a vintage Omega OEM mesh bracelet (they're still in production). Its incredibly comfortable, far more so than it looks, and it looks brilliant, has this real 1970s diver look about it:

[​IMG]

Here are some more pics of the mesh bracelet on my old Seamaster 300 diver: http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-300-review.221/

Unfamiliar_Moon and citizenrich like this.
  4. rolexfantastic Feb 17, 2014

Jim

Great story, with lots of emotions involved. It reminds me of my grandfather.
    Do you have pictures with your 176.001 ? I'm interested to see how the face and hands are assorted in your specimen.
    One other thing though, the SM 176.001 is not a divers watch and salt water can affect watches irremediably... Hopefully yours will last to bring back the good stuff.

/F

5. racingsnake Feb 17, 2014

Don't worry, the swimming took place around 1982-90, and the watch was serviced by Omega just over a year ago. All healthy!

Thank you to everyone for your comments. It really is a big part of me and who I am, and a great tribute to my Dad that reminds me of him every time I snap it on.

I like the mesh strap, but wanted to try a natural material like leather if they are available?

Northernman likes this.
  6. rolexfantastic Feb 17, 2014

If you don't want a bracelet then you could find a variety of straps on ebay. I like the racing style straps but the options are unlimited.

Maybe you have a picture with the face of your watch to share. The 176.001 is a very rare appearance...

7. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 17, 2014

The 176.001 is a seriously cool chronograph! I understand from your writing that you are planning to keep and cherish this heirloom. I salute you for that!
    As for bracelet / strap options the mesh has been pointed out already. I live in Norway, and due to our climate with sometimes really cold winters (not this year so far :) ) I like to swap between bracelets for summer since they are well "vented", and leather straps for winter (since they are not so damn cold).
    I am not consequent on this, but it is how I have seen it works for me. I do not own a 176.001, but a later 176.007.
    Tropic/racing/vented good quality leather straps work well on a 70's chrono IMO. I suggest you do a google image search on "Omega" and case ref 176.001 (or for more selection, since they are not so rare, the 176.007) and see if you spot some configuration you like.
    Here is my 176.007 on a black "racing style" strap with blue contrast. The strap is from Cousins UK (OK quality, good price), the buckle is a modern Omega alternative I had in the box. IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0968.JPG

racingsnake and citizenrich like this.
  8. racingsnake Feb 18, 2014

My watch looks identical to yours, I have some paperwork with the watch so must check it out. I am not home until tomorrow now but will take some pictures and post them up ASAP. Love the strap BTW, it looks great!

9. racingsnake Feb 18, 2014

I found a picture taken just before it went off to Omega after a dealer tried and failed to fix it....

[​IMG]

10. racingsnake Feb 18, 2014

Can someone let me know the strap size please?

11. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 18, 2014

22mm I think (from memory).

12. Georgieboy58 Feb 18, 2014

22 is correct, I got one as well ;-)
    SAM_0575.JPG

13. rolexfantastic Feb 18, 2014

Nice specimen, unfortunately yours is not a 176.001 but a 176.007.
    Great condition. They will replace crystal with tachy bezel but that's not a problem as your dial looks excellent.

racingsnake likes this.
  14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 18, 2014

Looks like a 176.007, not a 176.001.

15. racingsnake Feb 18, 2014

At least I now know, and to be frank it does not really matter to me that it is a 7 and not the 1. It is my Dads watch, that is what counts.

What are the differences?

Thanks for the information, appreciated.

16. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 18, 2014

There are different dial variations, etc. However, the most critical differences are illustrated in the picture below (the 176.007 was taken from a picture posted by member ALPENSCHNEEROT). The 176.001 has a flat "phase" around the dial. Thus it also has a smaller crystal without the tachy. Omega essentially used all the parts from the 176.001 in the 176.007 except for the case body and crystal. In many cases they even used the existing 176.001 case back striking out the 176.001 and stamping 176.007 instead.

[​IMG]

racingsnake likes this.
  17. racingsnake Feb 18, 2014

That is a brilliant illustration, thank you for that. Loving this forum so far!

18. Mothra Feb 18, 2014

I can't believe a dealer just left hands rattling around on top of the dial like that. That can't be good for any of it, I wouldn't go back... Glad you've got a cool watch in top flight condition...

19. racingsnake Feb 19, 2014

To say I was a bit upset was an understatement! I could name and shame them, but won't. The next time the watch goes away it will be a guy in Yate near Bristol UK that does the work as he comes highly recommended and is quite local to me.

20. Mothra Feb 19, 2014

Always interested in new watchmakers - have you got a link?