The Speedmaster Plan ~ All Help/Input Desired...

After amassing a modest collection of watches that I always desired, and mainly to see what I truly loved, liked & didn't - after all, experience (and experiencing) are the best teachers, I am about to embark on The Great Purge.

And after that is done set about purchasing a final watch (hopefully) or two (most likely).

As much as I, like others, occasionally love to shit on the Speedmaster (and I'm guessing if it's not the manhole cover size ~ at least for those of us with hyper masculine wrists that are smaller, it's the sheer abundance of them along with Omega's penchant for limited edition this or special edition that) I have to admit I wear my two Speedmasters more than any other watches in my watch box ~ a 3861 Hesalite and a Reduced V2 ~ because frankly I love them for their dials, legibility, usefulness (I am a diehard Chrono Man at heart I have come to realize) and heritage in both the world of racing and that other thing they are occasionally mentioned being a part of.

So with all that long winded verbose bullshit out of the way here's where I'm at - and would appreciate some input...

The new 321 Ed White.
A 1967 105.012
A birth year 1963
Possibly a 3861 Blanco (white lacquer dial - sorry, I call it the Blanco)
Also but less possibly a 3861 Sandwich

The quandaries (besides money expenditure)...
If it's vintage (choices #2 and #3) I would want it as full kit as possible -- why couldn't this https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...-complete-set-with-archive-box-papers.173733/ have appeared in about 3-4 months??
If it's the new 321 (same for the birth year) concerns over the L2L "slab lugs" which aesthetically have never been my favorite (whereas I adore lyre lugs) but also tend to not suit my wrist ~ currently owning both the '57 Seamaster & Railmaster Trilogy currently and finding this out firsthand.

Am I missing anything, not seeing something accurately about my concerns listed above and besides the currently produced models I referenced any idea on what kind of financial range I'll be looking at to get into the 67 (assuming the link above is an accurate target) and 63?

Personally, I don't see the attraction of a lot of the vintage Speedmasters, especially with some of the difficulties of getting efficient service and the often 'monkeyed' around status of most of them over the years. But I respect those that search out and collect them, just not for me. I like the lyre lugs for looks, but winding them can be a pain in the ass because the crown just doesn't extend enough for easy winding. I have eight lyre lugs and if I decide to wind them all at once my fingers are sore, I did that once for three days and I won't do that again. I have an EW321 and a 1957 Trilogy which have straight lugs, winding them is just a pleasure because you can easily manipulate the crown, that's a plus for me. Plus I find the smaller sizes of these watches just a better fit on my 7.5" wrist. I still think the EW321 is the best Speedmaster of the last 50 years for how it looks on the wrist, a couple of cuts above the rest of the contemporary Speedmasters. There are plenty of versions available of all types so maybe something else will come into your view, don't shortchange all of the LEs Omega did over the years, some are very attractive.

Personally, I don't see the attraction of a lot of the vintage Speedmasters, especially with some of the difficulties of getting efficient service and the often 'monkeyed' around status of most of them over the years. But I respect those that search out and collect them, just not for me. I like the lyre lugs for looks, but winding them can be a pain in the ass because the crown just doesn't extend enough for easy winding. I have eight lyre lugs and if I decide to wind them all at once my fingers are sore, I did that once for three days and I won't do that again. I have an EW321 and a 1957 Trilogy which have straight lugs, winding them is just a pleasure because you can easily manipulate the crown, that's a plus for me. Plus I find the smaller sizes of these watches just a better fit on my 7.5" wrist. I still think the EW321 is the best Speedmaster of the last 50 years for how it looks on the wrist, a couple of cuts above the rest of the contemporary Speedmasters. There are plenty of versions available of all types so maybe something else will come into your view, don't shortchange all of the LEs Omega did over the years, some are very attractive.

When you say "EW321" are you referring to the new "remaster" or vintage?

When you say "EW321" are you referring to the new "remaster" or vintage?
New one.

Wait to see what Omega reveals maybe this Saturday or next Tuesday.

How about a titanium Apollo 11 45th anniversary?

1000016656.jpg

I absolutely love straight lugs, and have found that I strongly prefer them to lyre lugs. If you don't like straight lugs, it's probably always going to bother you about the EW321. No real way to get around that. I've considered the EW solely for the lack of guard and straight lugs.

I've come to the conclusion recently that I love speedmasters, just... not on my wrist, and I've been thinking of trading towards a SM300 trilogy (and to be clear this is not a solicitation towards a trade).

I guess my point/question is- why just one speedmaster? Especially if you picked up a white dial or decided to pick up an extra to dial mod, you can easily build a small and fairly Dynamic collection of watches around just the Speedmaster--- and not go overboard.

I absolutely love straight lugs, and have found that I strongly prefer them to lyre lugs. If you don't like straight lugs, it's probably always going to bother you about the EW321. No real way to get around that. I've considered the EW solely for the lack of guard and straight lugs.

I've come to the conclusion recently that I love speedmasters, just... not on my wrist, and I've been thinking of trading towards a SM300 trilogy (and to be clear this is not a solicitation towards a trade).

I guess my point/question is- why just one speedmaster? Especially if you picked up a white dial or decided to pick up an extra to dial mod, you can easily build a small and fairly Dynamic collection of watches around just the Speedmaster--- and not go overboard.

Totally agree, and hence my post ~ I want to hear things I'm either considering, not considering or should reconsider (even straight lugs for example).

To be clear, I would be keeping my Reduced and 3861 Hesalite ~ in addition to whatever Speedmaster enters the fray. Or possibly two ~ most likely (at this point) being a Blanco 3861 and EW321.

**To match your clarity, I would be open to discussing such a thing** 😗

Scott, in all seriousness, perhaps the best one and only vintage speedy is the 145.022-68. You get the early Ed White dial but with the 861 movement. It's like getting multiple watches in one.

Scott, in all seriousness, perhaps the best one and only vintage speedy is the 145.022-68. You get the early Ed White dial but with the 861 movement. It's like getting multiple watches in one.

Solid, thank you... off to begin researching that one as well.

It is alway nice reading about how people think and plan about their next watch!
You have a nice list of watches that you are looking for,
A bit curious - the 105.012, it is the 66 reference?

Why not go for the 65, that is (for me) the ultimate lyre lug Speedy (still searching…🙄)!

Here is a very interesting article (done by our Forum member @ndgal ):
https://www.chronoholic.com/post/a-...dmaster-professional-105-012-65-the-moonwatch

I dont know your current collection, but vintage watches are a bit different from modern ones.
The vintage 321 movement could be harder to service, and you have to be careful with them…
And the modern ones, these are perfect for day to day use, and you could go swimming with them.
😀

The 1963, that could be a long (but nice) journey before you find one,
and the one that would cost the most from your list.

But I am a sucker for birthyear watches - so go for the 1963!

The new Blanco is fire and would make a very nice addition to the collection. If you do want an Ed white I’d go for the new one. Although, with a couple of modern Speedmasters already in the collection maybe something vintage would round out the collection better. I dunno. This is as deep as my thoughts get.

My Speedy collection has taken a different route. Although I am now venturing into neo-vintage options.

SpeeedyFam1250.jpg

My Speedy collection has taken a different route. Although I am now venturing into neo-vintage options.

SpeeedyFam1250.jpg
So I assume you dig the Speedmasters.

SpeeedyFam1250.jpg

You're missing this..

1000016746.jpg

I am about to embark on The Great Purge.

I'll be watching the Private Sales thread. 🍿

The new Blanco is fire and would make a very nice addition to the collection. If you do want an Ed white I’d go for the new one. Although, with a couple of modern Speedmasters already in the collection maybe something vintage would round out the collection better. I dunno. This is as deep as my thoughts get.

I like your deep thinking brother.

I'm pretty much at-
1. Blanco
2. EW321

...and done.

You're missing this..

1000016746.jpg

I keep thinking I want to make one of these. ... after I finish making watch straps from used pipe organ parts ...