Forums Latest Members
  1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 30, 2014

This eBay seller (18 feedback and no activity for nearly 5 years) has got to be either the most unlucky person with buyers, or ..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121302236430?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This is the reason I always check completed listings before considering watches on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Watches-/...mega+105.012&LH_PrefLoc=3&LH_Complete=1&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. ChrisN Mar 30, 2014

The second link defaults to ebay.com but changing to ebay.co.uk, I see that this watch has been sold in Jan, Feb and March with values from €3100 down to €2600. They are all the same seller but, what does this mean? It seems that the previous bidders never paid, as he says in his advert but, what would be the alternative? Are different people bidding this up on behalf of the seller or is there another explanation? It's a genuine question as I thought this looked like an honest watch - I see the hours totaliser is not resetting properly but that is probably because it needs a service.

Am quite tempted by one of these or an SM300 and any knowledge of ebay might be useful. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Chris.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 30, 2014

Anyone can get one nonpaying bidder. Rarely another. Three pushes beyond the bounds of credibility.

4. ChrisN Mar 30, 2014

Thanks Lou. I see what you mean but, I can't understand what the seller has to gain if there is something fishy going on, assuming he has the watch and does want to sell it. Ebay makes me nervous anyway and I've never bid more than I could afford to lose, a far smaller amount than this!

Chris

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 30, 2014

Chris,

it's shill bidding. He has one or more dummy ebay ids that he uses to pump up the price on his item against legitimate bidders. Unfortunately, greed has driven him to outbid the legits on several occasions, so he claims nonpaying winner and relists.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 30, 2014

Exactly Lou. Notice the prevalence of bidders p***j and e***l but also three different "winners" b***l, e***l and 2***0.

It would be interesting to see that a snipe has failed on all three occasions

It is just a shame that you can't report this sort of activity, in detail, to eBay

ETA both of the above "bidders", p***j and e***l have 100% activity records with this seller. I'm not sure what the 0% records with this seller of b***l and 2***0 mean.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 30, 2014

Let's stir the pot ::stirthepot::

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 30, 2014

What a surprise. Any guesses how long before it is re-listed?

9. ChrisN Mar 30, 2014

Thanks Guys. Clear for me now and yet another useful tip from this site, "look at completed auction results". I think I might stick with the FS section here for watches - all have been very easy. :thumbsup:

Chris.

citizenrich likes this.