Forums Latest Members

The search -v- possession. Which gives the most satisfaction?

1. Bezel_Faulty May 18, 2015

Over the years there have been many things in which I have become interested. These range from humdrum everyday appliances like washing machines through to the luxury items such as cars and watches.
    I have come to recognise that I probably get just a big a kick out of researching something, negotiating with the vendor and asking them copious questions, as I do from actually owning the article. Waiting for the delivery and then opening the packaging is fun, too.
    This is where Forums such as this come into play. I have joined many over my time on the internet and have gained invaluable knowledge from the experiences. I still find it quite mystical when I can take a digital image and post it within seconds for people from all around the world to view.
    Then there is the joy of ownership. I know that we all enjoy viewing our watches and deciding on which one is best for the coming day. Or morning, afternoon then evening.
    Posting pictures and receiving comments is all part of it,too.
    All of which leaves me with my question: Is it more fun to search for something than it is to own it?
    Obviously no rights or wrongs, I just think it could be interesting finding out your thoughts.
    B. good
    B honest.
    B. Faulty.

2. ulackfocus May 18, 2015

I'd call it equal. It's the whole process that's enjoyable, and you can't leave out one step. The culmination is arrival day. The hunt, the auction jitters, the anticipation, and the opening - it's all part of the experience.

bazamu, Tony C. and Barking mad like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 18, 2015

Have bought some beaut watches and once delivered have waited a few days to the right time to open. As above its the whole experience that counts. Hey I even enjoy the PM chats before and after the deal with all here.

CanberraOmega likes this.
  4. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 18, 2015

I like both equally, though owning is more of a slow burn than the rush of acquiring, which in turn is slow burn relative to those rare moments where you see a watch for the first time and realise you must own it

5. Spike May 18, 2015

I think for a small collector it’s a fairly even split between the thrill of the chase and actually owning and wearing what you’ve acquired.

It’s nice to look and wear in rotation and to admire what you’ve bought which I suspect the larger avid collector doesn’t experience so much as the watch just becomes one of many acquired on a regular basis some of which I suspect hardly get worn before others take their place as being newly acquired……………..I expect the guys with the large collections will probably say I'm wrong there!

You’ve had an interest in washing machines??…….I must look in to that;)

6. lillatroll May 18, 2015

Agree with what the others have said, the looking and learning are as much as an enjoyable experience as having the watches. I only have a small annual watch fund so I have to do more looking than buying, although it sometimes requires a lot of discipline not to buy another watch.

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 18, 2015

Searching is enjoyable, owning is enjoyable.
    The uncertainty that the postal service will deliver your purchase is definitely not.

bazamu and oddboy like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 18, 2015

Yea makes me glad I don't live in Italy... Those guys really deserve a lot better

9. Bezel_Faulty May 18, 2015

I had little choice! The cradle holding the drum on our old machine broke, making a really horrible noise. There were so many models to choose from that it became tedious! (There is only so much about white goods to hold my attention for any length of time)

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 18, 2015

Given that I have, over the years, let go of several "grail" watches, I'd say that the hunt holds a slight edge.

Paedipod likes this.
  11. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 18, 2015

....to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.

12. WatchVaultNYC May 18, 2015

It used to be "the hunt", but over time when you have enough contacts that you can basically source anything you want, it boils down to money (which is less exciting)