The Omega Speedmaster Alaska Project Story

Speedmaster-Alaska-Project-311.32.42.30.04.001-10.jpg

One of the most coveted Omega Speedmaster watches is the Alaska Project model from 2008. Surrounding it is a myth about the original white-dial Speedmasters that Omega designed for NASA, but it also stands out because of its stark white dial with rocket hands and a red chronograph seconds hand. Codename Alaska Project When Omega […]

Visit The Omega Speedmaster Alaska Project Story to read the full article.

Like 8
Well done RJ to look back at a purely white dial Speedy one week before the announcement
of the white dial 3861 (maybe linked to the Artemis 2 Mission aka done for the needs of NASA) :thumbsup:

Like 1
Maybe new white speedy "Flight-qualified by NASA in 2023" ? hehe

Great read though, thanks.

Like 1
Thanks for this article @Robert-Jan
A pic of the Alaska IV would have been great, IMHO, instead of the "classic" LCD one... ::confused2::

Like 1
Maybe new white speedy "Flight-qualified by NASA in 2023" ? hehe

Great read though, thanks.
current year is 2024

Well done RJ to look back at a purely white dial Speedy one week before the announcement
of the white dial 3861 (maybe linked to the Artemis 2 Mission aka done for the needs of NASA) :thumbsup:

Next week won't be an announcement of the new white dial Speedmaster.. Just saying.

Like 4
Thanks for this article @Robert-Jan
A pic of the Alaska IV would have been great, IMHO, instead of the "classic" LCD one... ::confused2::

Problem is that I couldn't find one I could use, but will keep looking and replacing it.

Like 1
Next week won't be an announcement of the new white dial Speedmaster.. Just saying.

Well - that's a sad info and a clear statement :)

BR
Hans

Like 1
Of course, there's lots more to the Alaska Project story and it always amazed me why Omega never took up the valuable feedback given by NASA astronauts given in 1968. NASA engineer James Ragan was the best informed person and I spoke to 2 Apollo era astronauts about the Alaska Project Speedmaster chronographs and specifically what they thought about the NASA-issued Speedmaster chronographs in general.
Upcoming article in a few months as the 60th anniversary of the September 1964 procurement by Donald Slayton, who expressed the need for an "off the shelf" durable accurate wrist chronograph for use in the hostile space environment and on the lunar surface. #MoonwatchUniverse

Like 3
It will come for sure. Just not next week.

Is the announcement still expected in January? Or you cant say?

Oh man. I was all pumped up for this

Like 1
Whilst I am eagerly looking forward to the news about the reveal and details - Am I the only one that feels slightly underwhelmed? I would love to see a great white dial speedy, but perhaps aside from the dial, there doesn't seem to be too much new details that are really exciting? For e.g. the alaska project is one of my fav white dial speedys (unfortunately too late to the game and no opportunity to buy) and that dial is definitely special. Maybe I am partial to the straight lug cases and flat link bracelets... perhaps if there's some minute detail variations it will be more fascinating.

Quoted member G'c
Whilst I am eagerly looking forward to the news about the reveal and details - Am I the only one that feels slightly underwhelmed? I would love to see a great white dial speedy, but perhaps aside from the dial, there doesn't seem to be too much new details that are really exciting? For e.g. the alaska project is one of my fav white dial speedys (unfortunately too late to the game and no opportunity to buy) and that dial is definitely special. Maybe I am partial to the straight lug cases and flat link bracelets... perhaps if there's some minute detail variations it will be more fascinating.

Well there are no actual details out yet so I'll reserve my judgment.

Like 1
Well there are no actual details out yet so I'll reserve my judgment.
Agreed - I should have pre-empt my above comments as "thus far". Definitely looking forward to the release of more details on this one!

Like 1
Oh man. I was all pumped up for this

so was I....if not January....maybe Watches & Wonder in April?

Like 1
I guess I’ll have a little more time to sell a few pieces to make room

Like 1

My OB still thinks its being announced this month, when I asked yesterday. But then again OBs dont always have the newest info.

Like 1