Forums Latest Members

The Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited series

1. ICUDr Apr 9, 2017

G'day from Australia to everyone =D

I'm new to this forum but have been an Omega fan for many years.

I been doing a research about the Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited series. Specially about the ref. 311.30.42.30.01.001

I haven't seen much information here or in google.

I would like to know your thoughts, reviews and any information you guys may have.

Cheers
    Ken

2. Ru4scuba Apr 9, 2017

I've had one since 2008 and I love it. Even modded the case back to a displayback.

One of my favorite watches. Some purists dislike it for the patch on the dial.

Ironically this is one of the reasons I like it so much.

IMG_0348.JPG IMG_1190.JPG
  3. ICUDr Apr 9, 2017

Wait you can change the case back to a display one?!

Where did you get it from?

4. Ru4scuba Apr 9, 2017

Only if you do it with a watchmaker and source the parts yourself...Omega won't do that for you. Further, if you make these changes you can't have the watch serviced by Omega either (when it eventually needs service 5-10 years down the road). I bought the case back from Ofrei back when they still had them. Now you'd have to source that yourself as well.

Also this mods the watch beyond the standard stock model. Some tend to scoff at such a move

Regardless...you can easily find these 50th patch models at a number of grey market dealers...standard first watch worn on the moon caseback, box and all.

Great watch in whatever form you have it!

Edited Apr 9, 2017
  5. Bushido Apr 9, 2017

While not having tried one myself, I have heard very good things about Thomas Preik. He appears to make custom sapphire display backs for a whole host of nice watches, including Omega. If you internet search his name + case back, his website should pop right up.

6. ICUDr Apr 9, 2017

I am expecting it to arrive on the mail next week. Bought it from Japan on its original condition.

Wanted one since 2007 but end up buying a Seamaster, due to budget constraints. I have watched the prices climbing, slowly compared with other Moonwatches, then finally found an original one with all the boxes etc and pulled the plug.

This will put a small delay on my plans to get an 116600 sea dweller and the tudor 79220N but I think it's totally worth

I really like the gold logo on this watch and I think it's a great entry model into the Moonwatch family.

I understand and agree at why purist will disagree with modified watches too. On the plus side it gives me an excuse to buy one that came originally with the a display case back

I'll post some photos when it arrives!

Ru4scuba and oddboy like this.
  7. Ru4scuba Apr 10, 2017

Congrats! You won't be disappointed!

8. ICUDr Apr 19, 2017

My 50th Anniversary arrived a couple of days ago. Here is with part of my humble collection.

I set them all to 12 o'clock - and 00 seconds- yesterday (including the Navitimer) this is the comparison of all 4 watches.

The Navitimer was within +3 seconds compared with the atomic watch. Surprisingly the mechanical Seamaster is behind a minute

The 50th Anniversary and the Seamaster automatic are pretty much on time -even to the seconds- compared to the Navitimer

I only compared those 4 because inly could press 4 crowns at the time! Haha 2017-04-20%2010.11.52.jpg

Foo2rama and Ru4scuba like this.
  9. Ru4scuba Apr 19, 2017

Great pic! Congrats on your recent acquisition!

ICUDr likes this.
  10. repoman Apr 19, 2017

I agree there hasn't been much discussion of this piece on OF. I think its one of those unloved limited editions. I think two things hold this piece back a little: the number of pieces is a bit too many for my taste, and like @Ru4scuba said, the seamonster on the dial is a polarizing element, you either love it or hate it. At the end of the day, its a Speedy and so, its cool by definition. :thumbsup:

sensui and Ru4scuba like this.
  11. ICUDr Apr 19, 2017

Yes the seahorse is a polarising element for this watch. I personally like it and that was the reason I bought it. I wanted a steel Moonwatch that was slightly different from the rest, that was a limited edition and that was affordable.

The prices have been increasing over the last couple of years -admittedly not as much as other models- but on average from around $3000 in 2014-5 to around $6000.

This particular watch is in really good condition for its age and it was bellow the average price.

My next goal is the also the 50th Anniversary limited edition of 1957 units

12. Ru4scuba Apr 19, 2017

As a fellow patch wearer...I agree with you! It's the reason I own this baby...the seahorse and red Omega sing to me for some reason...

13. ICUDr Apr 19, 2017

Photos don't do it justice!
    It's hard to get a nice shot of the gold coloured Seahorse and of the red Omega

Ru4scuba likes this.
  14. ICUDr Aug 23, 2017

A quick wrist shot [​IMG]

15. hanky6 Aug 24, 2017

Hi from Sweden and my first Speedmaster.

IMG_3268.JPG

watcholone, LemansBoiler and Foo2rama like this.
  16. ICUDr Aug 24, 2017

I have been considering one of those brown Hondikee straps!

It looks very nice!

17. hanky6 Aug 24, 2017

Thank you. I think it matches the Seamonster on the dial very well.