Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2018

I appreciate the nuance in what you have written. Often, all one has to go on is the preponderance of examples. However, I am not quite as persuaded that it is authentic. It is extremely easy to swap the dial and movements in these models between cases, and that slab case is hard to love, so I think it is possible that people might have moved the turquoise dials into the "Miura" octagonal cases - just like the brown with red accent dials. Different weighting of the evidence, as you say.

As for the reference numbers, I am a little more rigid. The manufacture assigned reference numbers to original models, and I don't think we should create one in the absence of evidence. For one, it legitimizes a watch which may or may not be original, and for two, that same reference number may belong to a heretofore unknown watch, which will create confusion when it does surface. In my own records, I much prefer A369x until such time as factory literature is found.

martinzx and Syrte like this.
  2. slique12 Jun 5, 2018

While I have seen many more turquoise dial examples than brown with red accents, it could be that someone had many spare turquoise dials lying around and decided to initiate such a project. Or a dozen other reasons to be honest. Regardless, I find it interesting that Zenith would release two other Defy models with both the burgundy and turquoise dials and yet choose only the burgundy dial for the third model in the line up. It wouldn't be the first time that it's happened but it is a bit odd. I guess one could say I'm a bit of an optimist.

You make a good point on the reference number. It doesn't take long for something like this to circulate online and before you know it you have dozens of forum threads and instagram posts with potentially wrong information. I'll edit my first post accordingly.

3. bimbim1207 Jun 5, 2018

The turquoise dial in the first post is actually belong to me. There's a few points regarding this turquoise dial I'd like to contribute:

1. A little fact, I acquired this a few years ago from an old lady in the US, whose late husband owned this watch. According to her, he bought this new in the 70s, wearing it most of the time he did gardening as a hobbyist (as an explaination for the huge amount of dirt straped onto the watch and bracelet that I asked earlier). She also noted that the husband is not really into the watch and therefore, she hardly think he has ever sent it out for service or repair, hence I believe for its originality.

2. Upon receiving this, the amount of dirt & soil was over my imagination and my first feeling was disappointed thinking this couldn't be any good. The bracelet joints can't even be moved! My watchmaker couldn't open this, so he threw the whole thing in the cleaning solution waiting for the soil to be soften down. Once it was opened, the similar amount of dirt was found inside, and taking off the movement & dial from the case was another difficult job that made my watchmaker sweat. That's said, without any solid statement, I thought the watch should be original, because that mount of dirt and soil must be accumulated for decades (unless a scenario of having the dial replaced shortly after he bought it in the 70s)! However, everything shines as the watch was cleaned, in a condition I couldn't believe. To add, the aged lume on dial & hands matches!

3. There was a guy contacted me through Instagram, asking to buy my piece, and said he has been looking for this in many years, after seeing his friend got one many years back.

4. I've seen another piece on ebay in 2016. Not buying because of the condition.

Thanks & regards,
    Kevin

4. bimbim1207 Jun 5, 2018

Another shot of this, anyway I love having this in my collection, whether or not it’s a franken piece.

8F3609EB-252D-4449-9B04-007D1255FF4A.jpeg
    rbob99, GregH, mxmorato and 3 others like this.
  5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 5, 2018

There is a turquoise counterpart of the red dial for the early El Primero and for the tonneau-cased Defy. In the name of symmetry and all that's holy, let the turquoise octagonal Defy be real.

bimbim1207 likes this.
  6. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jun 5, 2018

Next time i see my customer that has one exactly the same as the above that I know he already told me he bought new, I will check with him if he could have ever had the dial replaced. He's a straight up kind of bloke and very pleasant(he isn't really a watch collector so I can't imagine him having the dial replaced unless it was somehow damaged in the past) so will be nice confirmation, only trouble is I don't see him too often but will certainly check back in on this thread with an answer when I do see him next.

mxmorato and bimbim1207 like this.
  7. slique12 Jun 5, 2018

I figured another turquoise dial Defy wouldn't hurt. This one happens to be mine.

IMG_9301.jpg

RawArcher, GregH, Rifish and 6 others like this.
  8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 5, 2018

Good looker, the turquoise....

9. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jun 6, 2018

Well how is this, low and behold he's just been in! I asked if he could have ever had the dial changed, he said no and it was definitely turquoise when he bought it new.

Gratuitous photo, I live in hope I might be able to buy it from him some day if he ever decides to part with it. Love it!

IMG_20180606_1425135.jpg

wristpirate, Rifish, mxmorato and 5 others like this.
  10. bimbim1207 Jun 6, 2018

Uber cool!

11. slique12 Jun 12, 2018

Uncovered another reference - a blue dialed women's Defy. Has been added to the original post.

1.jpg

Syrte and bimbim1207 like this.
  12. bimbim1207 Jun 12, 2018

@slique12 I've seen a few variations of the women's Defy in the past, including the red dial, fume orange and fume grey (not sure if these 2 are 1 variation). Let me find if I still keep any photos of them.

slique12 likes this.
  13. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jun 13, 2018

These turn up quite cheap at times , have come close to buying one for Mrs Tet, only trouble is she hates the gents version I always lust after so I don't think it would go down well :whistling: She clearly has no taste, probably why she chose me I guess haha.

14. slique12 Jun 18, 2018

I was fortunate to acquire the elusive A 3691 with the burgundy fume dial. Without knowing the production numbers it is hard to know how many were made. This is the first one I have seen for sale since I first learned about the Defy watches two years ago. The crown isn't original and the case could be sharper but I was willing to overlook those flaws due to the rarity of the reference. A plus is the mineral crystal and the GF bracelet with correct ZC endlinks.

From Rössler:
    A3691.jpg

Mine:
    IMG_9677 (1).jpg

Edited Jun 20, 2018
  15. slique12 Sep 13, 2018

The A 3642 landed today. All original, sharp case, and a gorgeous khaki fume dial.

Before this watch, I was under the assumption that the initial release of octagonal Defy's included only three colors - white, brown, and charcoal, all with the elongated hour markers. But, it is now clear to me that there was also a fourth variant - khaki dial with chunky hour markers. I've edited the original post accordingly.

IMG_0687 (1).jpg

16. donashby Sep 13, 2018

17. slique12 Sep 13, 2018

I saw this one as well. As nice as it is, something smells fishy. In 1972, Zenith moved away from unique case numbers engraved on the case back to using general reference numbers instead. The reference number on this example is actually the new reference number for the khaki dial variant. So, either Zenith was super lazy when assembling these or someone put this together with NOS parts :confused:

18. Jkuback Sep 14, 2018

my favorite thread here - always happy when a new enty pops up :D

to contribute as well - the octagonal defy caught me :)

3651 with cal 2552 - dial pretty used but I like the "wabi sabi" style - got a service from a good friend and runs now for the next 40 years:

MVIMG_20180914_151653.jpg
    bimbim1207 and slique12 like this.
  19. bimbim1207 Sep 17, 2018

A lovely example @Jkuback, the paint loss on your dial is quite minimum, now you need a ladder bracelet!

Sweli and Jkuback like this.
  20. Jkuback Sep 18, 2018

::psy:: thanks @bimbim1207 :) and already hunting for a bracelet