Forums Latest Members

The "new" Zodiac - owned by Fossil

1. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2018

Okay guys and gals, what do you think of the Zodiac brand now that Fossil owns it? The new line of Seawolf 3 hand dive watches are nice looking, available in blue dial / blue bezel, green dial / green bezel, black dial /stainless bezel, and black dial / red bezel among other combinations. They're powered by an ETA 2824 clone named the ST 1-11, and offer a few strap / bracelet options. I'm kinda digging the blue on blue.

Check out Ariel Adams' review, and the comments below it:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/zodiac-super-sea-wolf-53-compression-zo9257-zo9258-watches-bracelet/

Here's my conundrum: why spend the $700-ish when I have my Seiko Pepsi? A quick service / timing and it's good to go. Seeing as my wife and I are in "Pay Off Debt" mode, do I really like the Zodiac so much more than my Seiko that I'd spend the cash? Or, for that kind of money, should I seek out a vintage SeaWolf since they can still be found in nice shape for around that money?

Pick an option, and explain in a post:

1) Buy the damn Zodiac already - you know you want to scratch the new watch itch!
    2) Don't be an idiot - service the Seiko Pepsi since it's just as good of a watch, you know you still dig it, and save the $$$.
    3) Dude, aren't you supposed to be a vintage guy? What the hell are you looking at a Fossil for?
    4) Hey, dummy.... didn't you say a couple weeks ago you wanted a Fortis? Did you forget that already?
    5) Wait, this troll is back on ΩF? Go away ulackfocus! We liked it better when welackedu.

Traveler, dougiedude, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  2. Nathan1967 Mar 23, 2018

Can I choose more than 1 option?

3. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2018

Of course. You can even make up a 6th or 7th option if you like. Hell, you can tell me to ::censored:: off if it makes you happy!

Mad Dog likes this.
  4. Nathan1967 Mar 23, 2018

Well if it was me....
    The Zodiac is cool, but does it really scratch the itch? Not properly, it would work temporarily but within a wee while I’d want something else. More of a marquee signing to be on the team

Then Option 3 would also come into play.

Zodiac is a great Vintage buy, under rated, good value, fantastic designs. I’d go down that route.

Just realised though, I’m not you. The above counts for nothing, it’s your call.

5. abrod520 Mar 23, 2018

Why the hell not? There's some kickass stuff going on in the sub-1k space right now. In fact, I impulse-bought that new manual-wind Hamilton (it's 38mm!).

sdre, Mad Dog, Rumar89 and 2 others like this.
  6. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 23, 2018

I like Zodiac watches. A lot of bang for the buck. They look good and are quality in their price range. I’ve thought of pulling that trigger more than once. These new models make it more tempting.

Buy one and report back!

I am not the appropriate person to argue against anybody acting on ‘divine impulse’ and buying another watch they don’t actually need.

ulackfocus likes this.
  7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 23, 2018

Nice looking divers. I particularly like the look of the unique handset. I have no problem with the idea of an STP movement (early adopter anxiety aside). However only you can make the decision as to whether owning one is right for you. I really don't think you are the kind of squirrel who will be swayed by the opinions of a bunch of anonymous internet forum posters :p

Therefore I'll add another option:-

6) Take the question to WUS. This sort of post is very common over there.

Hold on a sec - you're not banned from there are you?

8. redpcar Mar 23, 2018

I like their Sea Wolf remakes. New, the price varies some but used, it drops like a rock so I'm waiting.
    Fossil bought the Zodiac name 8 years ago (maybe more).
    Shocking the other names are branded by Fossil: Michelle, Burberry, Marc, Kate Spade, Skagen, etc (basically, every department store watch).

upload_2018-3-23_15-40-21.png

argonbeam, mikechi22 and airansun like this.
  9. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2018

Many times over under several aliases! :D

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 23, 2018

I had no idea Fossil bought the brand and re-launched it. I took a look at the web site, but nothing really stood out, but I was also considering price point and at $1000+ a watch I would rather save a bit more and buy an Omega watch.

I am a huge Seiko fan (gave the only one I owned to my son last year) and I think you get your best bang for your buck. I also thought you were suppose to just buy a new Seiko, as it is cheaper than servicing. :) But seriously, #2 would be my option. But props to Zodiac for making these a reasonable size.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 23, 2018

Which? This one?

Hamilton-Khaki-Field-Mechanical-38-mm-value-proposition-2.jpg

Larry S, Mad Dog and ReturnOfUltraman like this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2018

Couple threads on these. You can source them for less then 1/2 MSRP.

13. abrod520 Mar 23, 2018

Tet, mikechi22, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 23, 2018

That would be true of any watch.
    Hence reason #8: don’t you know you’ll find somehing else appealing pretty soon?
    (Combined with reason #4: wait a minute, didn’t you say you wanted a Fortis?)

Other than that, I like those Zodiac watches.

Jwit, Nathan1967 and ulackfocus like this.
  15. SeanO Mar 23, 2018

Everybody at work thinks you’re a fossil already don’t they?

I think everybody looks at “reissues at some time or another. The zodiacs appear as well executed as any of the photocopies Longines is putting out at the moment.

Are you considering one of those?

I know they’re not in the same price bracket but still...

ulackfocus likes this.
  16. aap Mar 23, 2018

“Or, for that kind of money, should I seek out a vintage SeaWolf since they can still be found in nice shape for around that money?”

Question that might help you - how’s buying a new one better / different from owning a vintage one?

17. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2018

A new one would be a better beater. I could do more with it (fish, snorkel, beach, etc.) than a vintage piece.

In short, I could do with the Fossil exactly what I've done with the Seiko Pepsi.

Larry S and aap like this.
  18. Rumar89 Mar 23, 2018

I’ve been tempted... I love a manual wind vintage watch, this ticks a bunch of boxes for me. What are your impressions so far?

19. aap Mar 23, 2018

Hehe...better beater

20. aap Mar 23, 2018

So now the questions to my mind would be whether I’d want to add another watch in the collection and how many beaters I’d need (or want)