Forums Latest Members
  1. mydeafcat Jan 20, 2018

Hello fellow OF members!

I’m unsure if an OF thread exists - or existed - for the musically inclined among us, but I thought I’d get one rolling. I’ve seen many fine guitars and drum kits here on OF and thought we could create yet another sub-tribe featuring our gear and in some cases, OF musicians in action. I believe learning about your stories and musical travels would add yet another intriguing dimension to the diverse and interesting personalities here on OF.

Long before I became a fan of watches, I was keeping time on pots and pans, and to the consternation of my teachers, classroom desks. Around the time I received my first Timex (8th birthday), I was also presented with a real drum set. I’ve played drums ever since, still performing live and in studio situations. Drums don’t pay the mortgage, yet like watches, feed my soul.

All instruments welcome! Please post photos of your gear, gigs or next purchase!
    Michael

My 'office': Sonor Select Force, Dunnett Classic 2N snare, Sabian brass

IMG_4556.jpg IMG_E4541.jpg

Edited Jan 20, 2018
  2. Tik-Tok of Oz Jan 20, 2018

I have to ask...is the above photo why your cat is deaf :D?

Ours run and hide when my daughter plays her drums. But they like the piano...go figure.

3. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

I’m not surprised your kitty runs and hides from drumming! Tommy was deaf since birth, and while most cats would run from vacuum cleaners & other loud noises, he loved anything that made vibrations! He’d sit on the vacuum and would put his paws on my practice pad as he liked the feel of drumsticks tapping out rhythms. I miss that.

haqq777, Kmart, Looneytoons and 5 others like this.
  4. Linzer Jan 21, 2018

Oh that Dunnett Snare ::love:: You have a lovely kit.
    Here is my collection of some canadian brass :)
    DSC08198.JPG IMG_0911.JPG

5. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

Your set up is awesome. Wow! That tobacco sunburst finish is gorgeous. I did a double take with your overhead shot: your drum and ride configuration is identical to mine as I recently added a second rack tom! In fact, it was my setup for years then went with 1 rack tom in the early 2000s. That’s a spectacular cymbal set up you have there, too. You sure love your China’s! Tama drums are a favourite of mine, and I have only bought their hardware for over 35 years (absent kick pedals - always Pearl). Those HHX’s are killer, too. Funny, I’ve had my 10” splash since 2002 and it’s still pristine! And yes: Ronn Dunnett makes incredible snares (here in Vancouver!). His George Way drums are pretty sweet, too. Check out Carter McLean’s videos. He plays George Way kits - beautifully.

nonuffinkbloke, noelekal and Linzer like this.
  6. gdupree Jan 21, 2018

Cool kit!

I’m a musican (bassist), and am lucky enough to do it for a living. Here’s my ‘72 fender p-bass.

Edited Mar 21, 2018
    Felice79, TMas, Kmart and 9 others like this.
  7. Linzer Jan 21, 2018

Thanks! After reading your first post I went straight to Dunnett's website :) I was always amazed by Ronn's work. I used to play Sonor too. I had a Force 1000, and a Force 3000 kit way back before I bought a Tama kit. Your cymbals are superb! I love the HHX line from Sabian. I can hear yours by looking at your picture:) Especially that crispy hi-hat.

mydeafcat likes this.
  8. Linzer Jan 21, 2018

I'm sure all drummers like the p-bass sound. :thumbsup:

Florin, shaun hk and mydeafcat like this.
  9. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

Playing music for a living! Well done, indeed! Any chance we can enjoy some of your playing here? Or perhaps we already own or have seen some of your work??!! From my position (usually beside or to the right of the bassist!), P-basses are far and away my favourite. A1972? I know more than a few lads who’d be green with envy. A band mate recently picked up a Geddy Lee bass. Fender Jazz, I believe (I’m a drummer, right?:cool:). It’s awesome.

10. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

Yup!!!

11. djmusicman Jan 21, 2018

940629626180292516_42633026.jpg
    cv391, haqq777, amiriqbal and 10 others like this.
  12. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

I’m curious about that second snare of yours.... and I reckon the DW pedal next to your kick pedal controls the other hats? I’ve always been a fan of Sonor. I played a custom Ayotte kit from 1992-2016. Broke my heart to sell, but it was time (luckily, I sold them to a pal in my rehearsal space so I see them all the time). I bought the Sonor Select Force since they had 2 racks and 2 floors, were maple, sounded great for a fairly small investment, and I couldn’t afford the SQ2s, the A.Lange and Sohne of drums, IMO. I also play a small Sonor bop kit. It’s my usual gig kit - sound killer for mystery wood yet very transportable!

Linzer likes this.
  13. gdupree Jan 21, 2018

Sure, but no promises you’ll like it! I play in two bands, one named Eisley and another called Say Anything. Youtube or your favorite music outlet will yield results.

14. gdupree Jan 21, 2018

mydeafcat likes this.
  15. Linzer Jan 21, 2018

Couldn't agree more. My second snare is 12" X 5" hammered steel Tama Mike Portnoy Melody Master signature snare. The cool thing about is that it has a unique three position throw-off system. Off, loose, tight.
    340552.jpg
    Pic is quickly borrowed from the web.
    Yes, The cable operated DW pedal controls the second hi-hat.

nonuffinkbloke and mydeafcat like this.
  16. Canuck Jan 21, 2018

Last summer, we were with a number of others on a camp out at a provincial park in the Rockies, west of town. This is also ranching country, and we are always near livestock, (and wild life), although we are not always aware they are there. On this occasion, I had my fiddle outside our trailer, ripping off some good ol’ fiddle tunes, and what should appear but eight cows! But for a fence, they might have come right up to the trailer. After I put the fiddle away, they left. I was surprised that fiddle music attracted them, as I had always heard that cows preferred moo’ed music. ;)

Duracuir1, noelekal, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  17. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

What a great story. Clearly, you were, um, milking some sweet tones from the fiddle!:p 8 cows plus your camping group? Nice! I’ve played to much smaller rooms!

(Bragg Creek? Kananaskis? I sure miss the front ranges of the Rockies)

18. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2018

I’ve been playing piano since I was a tyke, classical and ragtime mostly.

3A4A925D-BED9-4086-B34F-FDDF525B7B54.jpeg
  19. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

Holy....!! A Bosendorfer upright!

20. Canuck Jan 21, 2018

West of Bragg Creek on hwy 66. About 15 to 20 kms or so, on the Elbow River. Our group camps happen mid-week, away from the off-road crowd and noise. We’re usually no more than 1/4 tank of gas away from home. When I say “noise”, I must say that a lot of people consider fiddle music to be just that! We often camp in the Kananaskis as well, and Bow Valley Provincial Park, and Dinosaur Provincial Park.

ahartfie and mydeafcat like this.