Forums Latest Members

The mother of all step cases (intensely art deco)

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 25, 2017

It's a pity this dial is so horrendous because this case is just amazing….. the epitome of art deco (think Chrystler building)… If the movement weren't in such poor condition it would almost seem worth negotiating the price down to get it properly redialed.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATTENTION-V...BRINOS-Habana-Chronograph-Watch-/222512451449Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Kmart, noelekal, kkt and 11 others like this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 25, 2017

I think it is desirable as a piece of metal artwork more than a horological piece. It would be a great example of the styles of the time period!
    I'm thinking more of a display piece than a wearable piece, perhaps part of a shadow box ensemble..

Syrte and Jwit like this.
  3. bubba48 May 25, 2017

MOU on the movement is for Delbana.
    In my opinion the dial has been badly refinished and even the engraving on the case back looks really rough and inadequate to the fame of the jeweler

4. Vitezi May 25, 2017

I wonder who made the case?
    No markings that I can see.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 25, 2017

Cuervo y Sobrinos refinished dials on most of the watches they sold. Many of these redials were very crude. As a result, it is almost impossible to determine whether a a particular watch has an original CyS refinished dial or a later imitation refinished dial.

You can see many examples of original CyS refinished dials on this Spanish language forum:

https://www.relojes-especiales.com/foros/vintages/cuervo-y-sobrinos-cuba-coleccion-97827/

The quality on these are all over the place. Some have the CyS name added to a factory dial and others were wiped clean and totally redone.

With respect to the OP's example, I think that one is a total fantasy case with what could be a movement that started life inside a Landeron-based CyS/Delbana dual-branded chronograph.

To me the only CyS watches worth collecting are the few brands that made dual-branded in Switzerland. These brands include (but are not limited to) Longines, Roskopf and Rolex. There are examples of these inside the thread above.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Vitezi and noelekal like this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 25, 2017

The case is unusual and dramatic. Your wrist would look good wearing a proper watch like that. With that dismal dial and grungy movement, that one can't be considered proper or any sort of bargain at that price.

Though I have no way of knowing this for certain, the crown just has to be all wrong. The original must have been different.

If you could acquire it after some fortunate negotiation then you could do something with that watch.

7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 25, 2017

gatorcpa, I use to peruse the Cuervo y Sorbrinos watches on Ebay, also the Chronographe Suisse 18kt rose gold chronograph models, until joining this forum and being shown the error of my ways. Some of those watches look appealing at first glance but seem to be bottomless pits according to my watchmaker, being mostly either franken or flimsy.

8. bubba48 May 25, 2017

In this case all the graphics are refinished not only the CyS logo IMHO

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 25, 2017

That's probably true, even with many of the watches shown in the thread I posted above.

You have to remember that at some point after 1959, the company was nationalized by the Cuban government and no longer had the resources to keep spare parts in stock. Therefore, a lot of these watches were fixed using whatever parts that could be scrounged. If the parts didn't exactly fit, then they were made to fit by any means necessary.
    gatorcpa

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 25, 2017

Same as the cars there apparently.

redpcar and gatorcpa like this.
  11. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. May 25, 2017

That looks like a pretty easy job to be fair LOTS of truly excellent Dial restorers.. Landeron 48? so LOADS of parts available (sort those mix & match hands out) and cheaply so the whole thing can be stripped for basically new just port over all the "Scribed" bits but 1,499.00 for a case & a cock seems rich..
    Nice case tho

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 25, 2017

Bryan you can rest assured I had zero intent of buying it. I was just posting it for everyone to enjoy the marvel as I did.

I was in Cuba last November and I did see ONE Cuervo y Sobrinos with an original double signed dial, Roskopf. Here it is. I found it expensive for what it was in the end.

IMG_9828.JPG
    Edited May 25, 2017
    noelekal likes this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 25, 2017

Not even if the seller came down to ... "a dollar two ninety eight?"

Syrte likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 25, 2017

He won't so I won't ask. I have a couple project watches as is.

15. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. May 26, 2017

It is, the more you look at it, kinda funny!

A bit like when your 5 year old daughter plays "dress up" and puts on 15 different mismatched items of clothing and half of mummys makeup. That kinda funny!

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 26, 2017

I'd like to have seen it on the day it left the factory. I think it would have been an exceptional watch, but too late now.

:(

noelekal and Syrte like this.