The most elaborate / expensive version of a cheap vintage Omega you’ll find

I really often recommend these watches to people and especially new collectors as they have a lot going for them, later series Calibre 565 movements that are very solid, a decent size and wrist presence, a tendency to be in good condition due to the decent water resistance and front loading case… but most of all they’re cheap and not as cool or special as a piepan or even a Seamaster so you get a lot for your money in a Cosmic whether steel or gold plated…

but then they’re not all steel or gold plate and they weren’t always the cheap and cheerful model. Omega did in fact make an 18K solid gold variant with a full gold bracelet similar to the BA145.022 bracelet.

I really have no idea what one of these will go for as I haven’t seen one on bracelet in a very long time and I really don’t even know the buyer for a pimped out grand luxe style Cosmic but I’ll saving the photos here for the future and curious to see what the auction ends at. The reference I believe should be BA 166.036

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403107177461?epid=23046023598&hash=item5ddb0f63f5:g:rXYAAOSwczRhJ2fu&LH_Auction=1

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Cool, I agree they are underappreciated. I think the monocoque case makes it difficult to access the movement, so sellers often cannot show the movement. I know a watchmaker I used did complain about the case access.

I do not think the auction will end the real value because i seen that the seller has a zero score feedback so possible many possible buyers will not bid..

Unless there are two serious collectors out there with a strong interest in Cosmics, I can't see this ending up costing more than gold value. What an oddball!

Yes, it's got melting pot written all over it
The thing I wonder is, is it similar to the BA145.022 bracelet or is it in fact the same as the BA145.022 just with different endlinks? If it’s the later then it could save a very special Speedy but it’s not easy to really tell

The thing I wonder is, is it similar to the BA145.022 bracelet or is it in fact the same as the BA145.022 just with different endlinks? If it’s the later then it could save a very special Speedy but it’s not easy to really tell
Roll the dice and let us know!

If that's the case then really well worth saving!

The end links are clearly different and I think this Cosmic bracelet is also short a few links as it appears to have a bracelet extension fitted. But it does look like it could be correct and if you have the gold Speedy.....

If that's the case then really well worth saving!

The end links are clearly different and I think this Cosmic bracelet is also short a few links as it appears to have a bracelet extension fitted. But it does look like it could be correct and if you have the gold Speedy.....

If the end pieces are 19mm, maybe it's also for one of those solid gold Sparkle Seamasters with the 75X or 56X movements.

Agree if it was head only you’re talking scrap value.

The bracelet makes it interesting but the end links are going to be a massive problem. I can’t imagine anyone’s buying it to put on another Cosmic so if the buyer wants it for a round cased seamaster or similar, where the hell do you find gold end links to match?!

I think any talented goldsmith will design them if you give him steel endlinks that are fitting a BA Speedy. Same for missing links.

kind regards Max

I think any talented goldsmith will design them if you give him steel endlinks that are fitting a BA Speedy. Same for missing links.

kind regards Max
I was just typing that, yea the handy thing about gold is the relatively simple endlink design would be easy work for a goldsmith if they had an example to go off

Was a member the winning bidder? Winning bid was just over $3600 USD, likely not too much above the scrap gold value (not including duties/customs)

Was a member the winning bidder? Winning bid was just over $3600 USD, likely not too much above the scrap gold value (not including duties/customs)

With gold at $1800 an ounce, my guess is that this is WAY under scrap value. 18kt gold has a value today of $41.81 a gram. With a monocoque case and the full bracelet, no way that there is less than 100grams of gold there. Probably 120g+
Edited:

With gold at $1800 an ounce, my guess is that this is WAY under scrap value. 18kt gold has a value today of $41.81 a gram. With a monocoque case and the full bracelet, no way that there is less than 100grams of gold there. Probably 120g+

120+ grams is a stretch. A constellation grand luxe I sold with full length bracelet weighed 125g, including the movement.

This cosmic case is probably ~ 15 grams of gold, bracelet is likely 70-80 grams.

A good working jeweller could certainly make some end links but thick gold sheet isn’t cheap, certainly more than scrap, and combined with their time means it won’t be cheap to make. Ultimately they’ll still be aftermarket as well.

nevertheless a lovely bracelet, even if a solid gold Cosmic is a massive oxymoron