Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 7, 2012

yesterday. But I was not in so I had to wait till today to pick this one up. A painful wait. Just to share some quick pictures taken earlier of a piece that I picked up with help from some of the members.

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG IMG_0391.JPG

Only sad thing is it will have to head off to the watchmaker for a service.

alam, X350 XJR and MKelley like this.
  2. ulackfocus Aug 7, 2012

Ooooooo, gold dial with cross hairs! ::love::

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

Think that's just a little patina. Dial looks to be two-tone, off-white and silver.

Nothing a little lemon juice can't fix :eek: (only kidding).

Very nicely done,
    gatorcpa

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

Either way it looks great :) :thumbsup:

Time for a little hand done TLC to get the oil and barbeque sauce off 9(side view).,;)

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

Congrats! Patina looks great and it's nice to see that it went to someone on the forum!

6. MKelley Aug 7, 2012

Very nice. Congrats!

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 7, 2012

Love those big arrowhead figures.

8. alam Aug 7, 2012

I edited your quote to describe similar situation :D piCs will follow in the next couple of days..... but I anticipate to be home when the next one arrives :whistling:

BTW, nice catch! :thumbsup:

9. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 8, 2012

Yup it looks to be two-tone with some patina. You can still barely see a little of the white/off white in the centre of the dial as patina is not even there. And I did not realise silver can achieve a gold tone with age . No lemon juice :eek: but will send it off for a service and also some cleaning to get the oil and bbq sauce and ketchup off.;).
    But one question, the seller's pic of the movement looks fine. Should I still send it off for a service? I am unable to open the caseback and offer movement pics.

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Yep, patina comes in all kinds of colors and textures! Here's one that I regret selling, I loved the color.

[​IMG]

Usually I leave my watches alone if I see that the movement looks pretty good, and yours looks very clean. I would also just give it a hand polish, and not polish down the edges of the bezel too much!

alam likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Very nice Kyle

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

A lot has to do with how you plan to use the watch. If it's going to be an everyday wearer, you really do need to assume than nothing has been done for years and the service is part of the cost of ownership. That's the way it was back when the watch was new in the 1950's and it's no different today.

I always run a watch for a couple of days when I first get it, just to evaluate its timekeeping abilities. If it's running within 30 seconds a day, I'll move it down on the priority list for service below watches with a more pressing need. After that, no more than once a month until the service gets done.

It's easy to say, "always get a watch serviced", but when you factor in the cost and that not everyone has a trusted watchmaker on retainer, it becomes a bit more problematic.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

I have a similar problem, hard to find good watchmakers in Australia and the last full service (including extensive rust removal and parts replacement) on my Submariner was $1,500 USD and they still managed to fat-finger the lume on the dial while it was apart, so I'm servicing on a more as-need basis too.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

I have 2 trusted watchmakers - one local and one not and the majority of my watches have not been serviced since the majority of them I don't wear. The ones that don't work at all those I have serviced while the ones that run I usually don't.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Just out of interest, what are your main rotation wear pieces?

16. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 8, 2012

I believe it's called "barbee" sauce. Crikey!

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Crikey I'm a vegetarian :p

18. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

All these post about BBQ is making me hungry. :D I also have a local watchmaker, but if the watch is running within 30 seconds each day I won't have it serviced.

19. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 8, 2012

Thanks Gatorcpa. I will be putting this watch on rotation with my other pieces so it's not really going to be considered a daily wearer. So far the watch has been keeping good time for the past 1 day, within 3 seconds. Main reason why I am reluctant to send it off for a service right now is because my watchmaker is swamped and it will probably have to stay with him for 3 months. I should have attended watchmaking school.:p

20. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 8, 2012

Not many watchmakers from where I am either. Something I always keep in mind and try to follow, if it ain't broken, don't fixed it.;)

MKelley likes this.