Forums Latest Members

The latest moonwatch vs the previous one

1. RMJack Nov 15, 2015

Greetings,

I've owned a speedmaster automatic since 93, but it's been sitting in my wife's jewelry box for 99.9% of that time. I love the workmanship and functioning of the watch, but it's far too dressy for what I want to wear. It's a 175.0043 (white dial with gold bezel).

I'd love to use it to fuel an exchange or purchase of a "moonwatch" professional and I'm trying to understand the difference between the different model numbers. Can someone confirm or correct the following statements?

o 311.30.42.30.01.005 - the current "moonwatch" in the big black box with goodies, tool, straps, etc.
    o 3570.50 - the same watch as 311.30.42.30.01.005, but without the big box and goodies... comes in a smaller red box - discontinued.
    o 3576.50.00 - moonwatch with date/moonphase and sapphire crystal
    o 311.30.42.30.13.001 - the sapphire sandwitch

Thanks in advance! It's been a blast reading thru this forum the last few days, the enthusiasm is infectious!

Regards,
    Francis

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 16, 2015

Francis
    Welcome to the forum. It is great to have you and you will notice your question has had 36 views and so far no one responded.
    Please keep coming to this forum, but if you want many many responses to this question, I suggest:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/
    Where more modern speedies are discussed. And straps.
    Basically if a reference has more than six digits you are out of my expertise.
    But it is here if you want it:
    www.speedmaster101.com
    Best of luck in your hunt.

3. RMJack Nov 16, 2015

Thank you Spacefruit. Appreciate the links - I'm not sure I understand why watchuseek is more active, but I'll go get more familiar with that forum. I don't see a way to close my original post, otherwise I would.

Thanks again,
    Francis

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 16, 2015

No need to close - you never know.
    I just mean that that forum covers the more modern speedmaster.
    We are all firmly wedged in the past!
    (Mostly anyway)

RMJack and Bienne2998 like this.
  5. jaymyms Nov 16, 2015

The reference numbers are dizzying, I agree. I think your question may have been misunderstood. I can't really help with all the ref numbers, but I know you're correct on the first two.

What era Moonwatch do you have your eye on?

6. nurseford25 Nov 16, 2015

I would suggest a 3570.50. It's more bang for your buck compared to the latest model. That's what I went with anyway.

RMJack likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 16, 2015

Pictures and you get help quicker....

Ok so you have a automatic Speedmaster 174.0043
    image.jpeg

Andy you would like a 3750 or the new one with box,same thing just Omega changed the number and bracelet and added a box with a extra strap and a loupe

image.jpeg

Edited Nov 16, 2015
    davy26 and RMJack like this.
  8. abrod520 Nov 16, 2015

The new one is more or less the same as the 3570 - you'll pay a premium for the nice box and extra straps/accessories but if that's what you want, go for it! Otherwise, I'd agree that the 3570 is your best bet as they can be found for mid-2k prices, which is an unbeatable value in mechanical watches IMO.

Or, if you really want to start getting into the weeds, you could look for a 3590 which is effectively the same as the 3570, but has tritium lume which ages to a beautiful caramel color over time, giving the watch a ton of character.
    Welcome! And happy hunting :)

RMJack likes this.
  9. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 16, 2015

One other slight change from the 3570 to the newer model - the bracelet now uses screws rather than pin/collar. Even though I'm an outspoken critic of both the cheap red box and the pin/collar system, I'd still opt for a 3570 over the new package due to the price difference. I wouldn't wear the extra straps or use the loupe. The box and the medallion are nice but they'd be stuck in a plastic tub in my basement with my other watch boxes.

Edited Nov 16, 2015
  10. RMJack Nov 16, 2015

Thanks for the feedback! You've confirmed my suspicions that the 'new' SpeedPro is the same as the 3570 (except for the bracelet per Andy K's post).

I'll try to find a 3590 to check out. I had to chuckle at Andy's comment about the box being stored in a tub... I spent 45 minutes over the weekend digging thru my attic to find the paperwork/ extra links for my 174.0043.... Found 'em, but it's been 23 years since i've last seen them. Clearly not something I need...

Now I just need to sell the 174 and I'll be on the hunt...

11. PatrickJ Nov 16, 2015

I have this one:

o 311.30.42.30.01.005 - the current "moonwatch" in the big black box with goodies, tool, straps, etc.

Only because I purchased it new recently I would of been happy with the 3570 as well. I prefer the professional manual wind hesilite crystal. But remember any watch other that cal 321 is a tribute to the moonwatch, a very good one at that. The lugs on the one that landed on the moon are straighter 861/1861 movements foundations are the same as cal 321 but no coulomb wheel chronograph. Slight variations in fonts sub dials etc to the original moon landing watch. However, these are small differences and if you want a nasa qualified watch that is very similar to the original get the manual wind hesilite crystal first. This is just my opinion, the watch remains relatively unchanged since 1968 you cant beat that history. I am wearing mine now.

12. shoota70 Nov 16, 2015

Other then the bracelet "upgrade" that you have been informed of, your list is correct.

RMJack likes this.
  13. jaymyms Nov 16, 2015

Yeah, I'd highly argue that the new bracelet is an upgrade. I looked for a mid 90's (1997) model. The last of the tritium dials, and the 1499/1498 braclet. More comfort, more taper, good blend of vintage meets modern. And that patina on the dial...man oh man...

ChrisN and RMJack like this.
  14. yinzerniner Nov 17, 2015

Just to add a few things about the bracelet:
    Not only was there a switch over from bracelets to pins the bracelet itself is heavier than the earlier 1998 model and the individual removable links are larger. So the bracelet wears heavier and getting the size right is more difficult.
    The 1998 bracelet had a modification where you could purchase a half link that was used on the "Speedy Style" Seamaster 1610 bracelets but was fully compatible with the 1998. it made getting a perfect size more possible.

15. neilp Nov 18, 2015

I recently purchased the new 311.30.42.30.01.005 version. Great watch and I do like the bracelet but it does lack adjustment. It really needs to be supplied with a half link. I ordered a half link from the Boutique that will fit so they say although it lacks the polished sections. I think it is from a Planet Ocean? Anyway I am less that thrilled about a not quite matching link at over $60.... The half link should arrive today so I can update once I gets here.

I bought this watch BNIB through a known seller on another forum at a great discount - I see used ones selling for more. PM for info.

16. italy1861 Nov 18, 2015

So, are you having the half link refinished to match your bracelet or leaving it as is?

17. neilp Nov 18, 2015

I'm going to wait and see how it looks before I decide. I may just give it a go with masking tape and polishing compound. "How hard can it be?" ; -)

18. rbob99 Dec 19, 2015

If you buy a 3570.50 from one of the forum trusted sellers you will save a bundle over the new one and have essentially the same watch.