Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 3, 2013

Whoa.....serious calibers you have there :thumbsup:, Love the Breguets and ALS Datograph ::love::.

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

Welcome Tony, that's an impressive collection. There's been quite an influx of UK members recently :)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

Love the Lange, my first entry into good watches was a TAG Heuer too, my brother gave it to me as a gift when I was 13, look what that started lol!

4. GETS Nov 3, 2013

Thanks guys. I already feel at home.

Trev likes this.
  5. kalachakra Nov 3, 2013

Hello!

My name is Ben. I'm a designer (product & graphic), and lecturer at a university here in Melbourne, Australia.

I began collecting about 5 years ago, buying and flipping different styles and brands of watches as my knowledge grew and my tastes evolved. Divers make up the bulk of my small collection of Swiss and Japanese marques. However, I've just purchased a Speedy Pro (30th Anniversary Limited Edition) and it hasn't left my wrist. My other Omega is a Seamaster 2254.50, and had an orange PO, which I regret selling.

I would have never considered a vintage watch a few years ago. It makes me wonder if part of the WIS evolution is to begin dabbling in vintage pieces as their appreciation for timepieces grows. But I digress.

Over the last few years, I've been thinking more about my father. He died when I was twenty. I'm in my forties now and have come to realise how similar I am to him as the years roll by. A few weeks ago I found my father's JLC Memovox Travel Alarm tucked away in a box of keepsakes. It was in reasonably good condition considering it's age, but much to my dismay discovered it was missing a crown for the alarm, presumably lost from various moves over the last 20 years. The search for a replacement crown led me here and a growing interest in vintage watches.

Since then I've been devouring the information contained on this wonderful site, and so far have been impressed with not only the generosity of spirit of the members, but also the good natured but respectful consideration members' appear to communicate with one another in this forum. Also good to see a strong contingent of Aussies here!

I want to eventually get either a vintage Longines (Conquest/Flagship), Omega (Constellation/De-ville/Seamaster), or a gold UG Polerouter like my father had when I was growing up.

Sadly I was not into watches back then, nor did Dad educate me on an appreciation of the intricacies of watches. The first "good" watch he gave me was his Rolex Datejust, which I never wore because I thought it was broken. Being used to quartz watches, I couldn't understand why it kept stopping after two days of non use! I treasured his watches not because I understood their intrinsic value, but because they were my Dad's. Since then all of his watches have either been stolen, given away, or lost over the years. :-(

I look forward to learning more and getting to know all of you.

Aussies: What are you're tip/s for the Melbourne Cup tomorrow?

Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 4, 2013

Gday Ben

Good to have you on board

Sea Moon no4 for the Cup. Plus a extra tip No9 in race 8

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 7, 2013

Hello all! New to the Omega forum. I've been a watch enthusiast for a while, but primarily focused on other brands. The Omega (vintage) are starting to catch my eye, and this looks like a great place to learn and get advice. Look forward to being here with you! :)

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 7, 2013

I would say welcome Darlinboy but it doesn't sound quite correct :unsure:

So please just accept a welcome.

Darlinboy likes this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 7, 2013

Welcome Ben. It will be interestung to see your designer views/ideas on some of the eatches you like/dont like. Apart from the horology, a key factor in people's collections is the asthetics/design of the dial and case. Classic dial/casedesigns like the Royal Oak, the Polerouterand the constellation pie pan are loved mainly for design reasons.

10. kalachakra Nov 8, 2013

Thanks for the warm welome, guys!

11. DPG Nov 9, 2013

Hi Guys, new here to the forum. I have a wonderful 2005 Omega Seamaster 42mm Co-axial movement. Also an Oris TT1 titanium diver with the rubber strap. Glad to be here to learn more and maybe even grow my collection!

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 9, 2013

Welcome DPG,
    Handsome pair of diver watches........ I have strong respect to Oris. Nice red rotor. Good choice for diving.
    Would be great if you can share the pictures.........:thumbsup:

13. ThLam Nov 11, 2013

Hello All,
    I came across this forum when doing research for Omega watch. I would like to join to learn more about Omega watch. I have not owned a Omega watch but through reading and searching on the internet, I am pretty sure about my love for Omega watches. The closest encounter that I had was enjoying my time in a Omega store close to home. It was very interesting and exciting to see beautiful watches.
    I started saving for my future Omega watch and hope to learn more from the forum.

14. Hijak Nov 11, 2013

Welcome to the forum ThLam but beware...

1. Joined Omega Forum
    2. Reading and searching on the internet
    3. Omega Authorized Dealer close to your residence
    4. Saving for your FIRST Omega

All the makings of a fine watchaholic! Be very careful...you're close to the edge of a very slippery slope.;)

15. ThLam Nov 11, 2013

Thanks for the warning. I hope it will not be very slippery since I have to save for a long time to get one :D

16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

Ah, then Vintage you will go :p

17. Hijak Nov 16, 2013

Very Yoda of you Spiki!

18. Reintitan Nov 17, 2013

Greetings! I'm relatively new to the Omega Forums, but I've been collecting wristwatches since 2000 and I've been around the various watch forums with my handle for several years.

My watch collection seems to be in churn constantly :D but I seem to always have some Rolex (about half modern and half vintage), Omega (skewed vintage with some modern), Panerai, Seiko, and a few odd bits here and there (military-issued watches, Tudor, and some "boutique" brands like MkII).

My Omega watch collection consists entirely of Speedmasters. All Pro, Pre-Moon, and Pre-Pro/Pre-Moons.

I used to be into sport or tool watches exclusively, but as I get older I'm expanding into "Old Men's" watches :cool: and maybe considering even gold watches :eek:

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 17, 2013

Welcome Reintitan,
    From your avatar I knew you had strong fond with Speedmaster. You will find many fellow Speedy freaks here which you probably had met in other forum,too.

::facepalm1:: oh...suddenly you make me feel old. However we could show you many young members here (as young as high school student last year) who has string of gold vintage collection as a proof that age has nothing to do with what type of watch you collect ;).

20. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 17, 2013

Lots of interesting people finding there way here (more Australians too!), welcome to ΩF everyone. :thumbsup: