Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. redking Mar 2, 2020

Hi members,

My name is Lewis, live in Manchester UK retired Heating Ventilation engineer after 50 years in the trade, recently sold my collection of model steam engines, built over few years. Must state not as many fakes and much easier to identify collectables than the watch market, but never to old to learn new lesson's just hope i don't make too many serious error's with my new hobby.

I'm just into the vintage Omega's to start with but have been very tempted with some later models. Todate I have 5 which I've purchased off Ebay this year, one on my avatar was the 1st and this was 2nd.. 6.jpg
    Wish I'd found this forum before i started my collection and appreciate any help/guidance from fellow members.

Best regards Lewis

Franzlad, daf90 and JoLo like this.
  2. adibou Mar 4, 2020

Hello there dear forum members,

I'm Ado from Sydney.
    Now a happy owner of a Speedmaster racing since my 30th birthday, but it wasn't my first choice... A bit of backstory:
    I got the 329.30.44.51.01.001 model first reluctantly since the 44mm Moonwatch 311.30.44.51.01.002 retired and I really wanted an automatic caliber with date.
    I learned to love the mate dial, the "racing" (or is it B&W Tintin"?? ;) scoring, the white gold inserts and hands... And now I wouldn't trade back.
    I tried to put a NATO on but couldn't get the springbars out... Sticking with the steel bracelet (very comfortable with those micro-adjustements!), I'll consider a leather strap with deployant buckle in the near future, but will have to go to a horologist to have it swapped.

Joining the forum to check out what's out there in terms of community and watches.
    Cheers

daf90 and JoLo like this.
  3. JoLo Mar 7, 2020

Greetings to All:
    I am Joe from Houston, TX and am new to the forum. I am amazed at how much I have learned just reading the posts here and also love the great photos. I especially like vintage Omegas from the 50's. 60's and 70's and have collected a few. A big part of the fun for me is the hunt, whether on-line or at used watch shops, antique stores etc. I have managed to find a few nice items but hope to own what I consider my grail watch, a Speedmaster, one day soon.

Thank you all for letting me be a part of this wonderful group!

Cheers!

Constellation Chron -7.jpeg Geneve Purple 4.jpeg Seamaster cal 600 - 7.jpeg
  4. ScubaRawb Mar 8, 2020

Hello all. Just stumbled on this thread and seeing that I've been an Omega watch owner for about 3 weeks now I should probably say something!

Bought my first ever high-end luxury watch mid Feb. I've wanted an Omega Seamaster since my days of playing Goldeneye on N64 and growing up with Brosnan as the Bond of my youth. I've always had an appreciation for watches and clocks and always viewed a nice timepiece as a sort of "signature" item that any man should have....something that is apart of him and that he is remembered for. (if that makes sense)

Well I'm in my 30's and have been oogling over the new 2018 model of the SMP 300m and finally decided the time was right. In a sense I am happy I waited, I am thoroughly enthralled by the new movements Omega is producing that are METAS certified and the new generation of SMP 300m's are my favorite yet. I am sure had I bought an earlier model I would definitely still love it, but would have wanted to pick up the new model as well! Haha.

As a Scuba Diver, I naturally trend towards dive watches. The speak out to me the most and I find they have the features I find most pleasing on a watch. Infact, I am one of few who absolutely LOVES the Helium Escape Valve on the SMP and boo's the haters who think it shouldn't be there.

Anyways, here is my timepiece. As much as I want more Omega Watches, I know I would feel like I am cheating on my true love if I were to buy another...

IMG_20200303_103705_708.jpg
  5. ZIELSZIEK Mar 10, 2020

Hello Omega Forums. Longtime lurker here, my name is Paul and I'm almost 20. I've been passionate about watches since I was a child, my father had a very nice Zenith which sparked my interest in timepieces. I'm also into cars, especially old Audis and anything mechanical that has craftsmanship behind it. I only recently joined this forum and so far I've met great people here, this forum greatly matured the watch collector in me, both by the documentation provided and the help I have received from forum colleagues. I'd like to thank everybody here for taking their time with noobs like me. As far as Omega timepieces go, I almost pulled the trigger on one, but right now I have some college related issues that I have to solve before spending more on watches. Here's one of the more interesting pieces I own.
    IMG_20200310_122847.jpg

Edited Mar 10, 2020
    daf90 and mr_yossarian like this.
  6. KynaSD Mar 13, 2020

Hello, I'm Shruto. I am new to this forum, and learning how to navigate it well. Looking forward to having some good conversations, and appreciating masterpiece watches!

7. CJB2020 Mar 16, 2020

Hello All

Just joined, been a lover of watches since my Grandad got me interested when I was about 5!

Have a varied collection ranging from Casio, to my first proper watch given for my 18th (a Seiko Pepsi!) to Omega's and Bremonts with one vintage in my collection.

Fascinated by horology and looking forward to reading your posts and learning!

C

8. tomkenmag Mar 17, 2020

Hi, I've been reading threads here for few weeks and finally created an account. I'm pretty much just trying to understand the topology of premium and vintage watches. I have this obsessive behaviour; I find some new thing (like watches) and spend all my time reading up on them and start thinking about spending money, but this time I'm taking it slowly, understand the history and the background before I jump on something. Hopefully I'll be confident enough to start expanding my non-existent watch collection!

Duracuir1 likes this.
  9. Butik Mar 18, 2020

Hello there! Greetings from Poland from happy owner of a few Omegas (other brands too, but mainly Omega).

daf90 and Duracuir1 like this.
  10. rootbeer7 Mar 18, 2020

I probably should have used this thread before posting elsewhere. Recent Omega convert since getting Seamaster 300mc pictures here. Next week I should receive a Tritium Speedmaster. Also own Panerai, modified Seiko SKX 013 and rare Gshock collaboration. Really enjoying the forum.

2BB2D184-4F93-42B7-8582-C6C9D1B26A6C.jpeg
    daf90 and Duracuir1 like this.
  11. nicky77 Mar 18, 2020

Hello,

I would like to introduce myself.

My name is Nick, I am from the flyover states (maybe not as flyover as Clive).

I joined this forum a few weeks ago, I have mostly been lurking. I have been into watch collecting for the last 16 years, but I have always liked watches, I have tried to understand why, I just do (I suppose there is no accounting for taste).

I am a member of a couple of other forums. However I am glad to have joined this one.
    The people contributing seem genuine.

Omega has become one of my favorite brands, actual the second expemsive watch I purchased was a Seamaster.

Looking forward to my time in this forum.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. AZVintage Mar 29, 2020

Hello Everyone,
    I joined recently and am excited to get to know fellow watch lovers. Prior to the watch forums I was on two bicycle forums for over a decade, one was BMX and the for classics and antiques!! Ive phased out of bicycles to pursue flying and more recently transition from vintage pocket watches to wrist watches!!

My first luxury watch was a new Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Commanders Watch (big thanks to James Bond - but also it's just how the stars aligned for me, happily). I also have the Seamaster Spectre - though I have offered it up for sale. Until it's sold its cherished by me!

Thanks All :)

-Amanda

20191107_073946.jpg 20191109_103534.jpg
    Edited Mar 29, 2020
    daf90, Duracuir1 and Sparklepony like this.
  13. WesolyPiecyk Apr 10, 2020

Hi everyone!

My name is Michał and I'm vintage watch enthusiast. I started collecting and repairing vintage soviet made watches (mostly from 50s and 60s) in 2010. After 10 years I decided to move to Omega watches.

I always adored vintage Seamasters from 50s/60s, that's why I want to focus mainly on them. I especially love stainless steel Seamasters subsecond from early 50s. My grandfather had one, but sadly i couldn't inherit it. Someone stole it shortly before his death during his stay in hospital.

I joined forum to learn as much as possible about history and specifics of vintage Omega watches, to know what to look for when buying. I'll probably start with something affordable, and then gradually go for more well-kept and collectible pieces. I already found so many helpful and interesting threads that taught me a lot.

Thank you all for your help in understanding history of Omega and specifics of these watches. I'm looking forward to be part of this forum.

daf90, Duracuir1 and Sparklepony like this.
  14. Sparklepony Apr 20, 2020

Hi, all!

I'm John and I'm relatively new to the watch collecting world. I used to just think of a watch as a means to tell the time. If it was under $100, even better! But somehow I ended up with a collection that's caused some marital...strife ;)

I own one Omega, the Speedy Mark II 327.10.43.50.01.001. I know most "connoisseurs" roll their eyes at this watch, and I understand the reasoning. But it's made me a serious Omega fanboy. I'm blown away by the quality vs. cost and I wear it more than just about any other. I'm really looking forward to learning and engaging with everyone on this forum.

I have a quirky side: I love HAQ watches. I know what you're thinking, "John, that's not a quirk, that's just dumb." To which I say: :taunt:
    Omega.jpg I've got my sights set on an f300 of some flavor or another in the near future.

Great to meet you all!

daf90, Duracuir1 and pete91m like this.
  15. OceanJr Apr 25, 2020

Might be just me, but do you know that feeling when you wish something existed that had actually already been invented?

A couple month ago I was frustrated with the internet connection to my desktop computer (bare with me) with the router at the other end of the apartment and the WIFI repeater only working occasionally. A cable through the apartment wasn’t an option and I complained to a friend. Why couldn’t there be a way to get internet access, let’s say, through the electric socket? And then I learned that this exact thing actually existed.

Well, the same heureka-moment happened to me yesterday night when I scrolled through another, general watch forum, looking for information to a vintage Omega, wishing for a more brand-focused website when I stumbled upon this place here. I treasure it already. :) No idea how I managed to not know about it for so long.

Long story short: I‘m Matt, no native speaker but doing my best. I’ve been into 50s-70s Omegas, especially dress watches and sometimes Speedmasters for a couple of years now and I seem to have found a gem here. Thanks, everybody.

Duracuir1 and BrianPankow like this.
  16. august1410 Apr 26, 2020

Good afternoon, everyone! Glad to be here. I've recently dipped a toe back into the Omega pool after buying a Rolex, Longines, and about thirty assorted Seikos. I'm looking forward to participating, joining in, and meeting a few folks.

blacktiger and Duracuir1 like this.
  17. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak May 2, 2020

After a few months it’s time for me to post here. Started my 32nd year in policing. Possibly my last. It’s been a blast! Am currently a full time instructor. Teaching mostly the fun stuff!

Firearms instructor since 1993 and have flown with my handgun more often than not. (For work). Funny thing, when I used to travel with my gun, the airport security agents still wanted to see the nickels, dimes and quarters from my pockets!

Competitive shooter for years, but when I began working on the range full time I gave it up. Plus my wife does not want guns around. I was a patrol sergeant for 16 years. I figured it would reduce my exposure to dead bodies. I was dead wrong...had to go to all of them. I stopped counting at 300. Homicide, suicide, accidental, misadventure or natural but unexpected. Name a cause of death and I’ve seen it. It has given me a tremendous respect for medical professionals and soldiers.

Watches: my first nice one was a Square SS Constellation. I found it at a tennis court, nobody around. I gave it to my dad and he does not wear it. It is beautiful.

My only modern watch is a Bell & Ross BR03 that I bought new in 2009. Unloved here but a nice watch when I am wearing tactical gear on the range. I first saw a BR in the Men’s Journal “style and design” issue (mid 2000s). I figured if it made that list, it must be pretty nice.

I mostly wear smaller vintage watches however. The UGs are mesmerizing. My leather hobby is fun and I experiment by making different straps for my modest collection.

Ambition: Submariner and Speedmaster.

Problem: I never borrow $ to buy a watch. I save my cash until I can afford it. But seems like I get distracted by other watches along the way and it sets me back! I enjoy the forum! Thanks for making it fun!

Edited May 2, 2020
    blacktiger, STANDY and mr_yossarian like this.
  18. pdxleaf ... May 6, 2020

Learned alot from this forum so thought I'd join. Apollo fan first, then came watches. 63 years old so wore a watch every day as a kid but didn't think much about it. Dad came back from Vietnam with a Seiko, which was my first memory of a watch as more than a tool. Years later my great uncle left me his Omega so I developed a respect for Omegas. Fast forward to 50th moon landing anniversary. Watched the landing as a kid and kept a scrapbook like most other kids back then. This renewed my interest and increased my respect for astronauts and the space program. Many youtube videos later and i discovered space watches as a theme. This combination hits just the right cords of nostalgia, respect for vintage mechanical things and space. That's my watch focus, which helps narrow the field and keeps the budget from blowing up. Worked for NASA for 7 years after I got out of the Army, first as a high voltage electrician apprentice and then as an accountant. NASA is the only US government logo you see on t-shirts around the world. It inspires the world. I hope we continue to support space exploration for as long as we can.

Respect for what this forum has accomplished. Hopefully it won't devolve over time like many electronic forums seem to.

19. daf90 May 7, 2020

Gday from Adelaide, Australia.

Got into watches when I used to frequent a cigar shop that used to also be an Oris AD. Picked up my first mechanical watch there - an Oris Williams Racing Chronograph.

Turned to Omega when I found a few unloved vintage Seamasters buried in some drawers in the family home. Asked dad about it - one belonged to my late grandfather, the other was bought by my grandfather for my father as a birthday present when he was a teenager. Pop’s Seamaster is a 1950s model, not sure of the reference as I wasn’t able to find it in the archives. I’m pretty sure dad’s (a Cosmic 2000) is the 366.0825. It’s currently sitting unloved in a drawer but that will change soon. I also have a close friend with a Moonwatch which has strengthened the sentimental value of Omega for me.

Found this forum through searching AD experiences - I’m turning 30 this year and thinking of continuing the family tradition with a new piece of my own. I have some early preferences, but keeping an open mind to see what I like most on my wrist.

Here’s the Oris that started my journey and has been on my wrist daily ever since.

FF3F6FBE-D8B3-4DEA-BF10-C14A992A7228.jpeg
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  20. SkunkPrince May 7, 2020

I am older. I like mechanical watches. Some of them are Omega. I know a lot about a few things, and know a little about most things.

Readiness77, DaveK, Franzlad and 2 others like this.