The first Longines Conquest

Posts
2,814
Likes
6,941
New arrival came in this week - a reference 6626 Conquest that I didn’t even know existed until now. Case was a nice bonus..

According to Longines, it’s the very first Conquest reference and mine is the only one they’ve seen. Longines was able to dig up a photo of the reference in their internal archive, which they sent to me but asked me not to distribute. It included a photo that looked just like my watch - same case style, dial variant/text, and crown. It was hard to tell if the hands were dauphine or more alpha style like mine.

It houses a 12.68zs manual wind movement. The case back obviously features the same “fish in kelp” medallion as the 9000 references, but the case back is a different (flatter) style given no need to house the automatic movement. Same 35mm size as the automatic references.

Longines won’t share info on production numbers, but they did tell me that they believe 9218551 to be the first serial number for a Conquest. Mine is 9218694, so assuming all of those movements went into a Conquest, presumably they made at least 150 of these. They also said that they believe all were sold between September and November 1954 to Singapore, Australia, South Africa, Yemen, and UK (mine was November 1, 1954 to Singapore). Also, oddly enough, the number on the back of the lug on mine is exactly 1 digit different from the one inside the caseback.. so maybe the caseback got swapped in it’s early days?

Has anyone seen others? If so, please share!

 
Posts
4,012
Likes
45,058
Beautiful watch!! Great dial, and really like the waterproof 😀

Congrats, mate!
 
Posts
7,689
Likes
22,049
Cool watch, and very cool info.
Wear it in good health!
 
Posts
8,246
Likes
29,135
Great find! And a bizarre anomaly.

As we all know, the Conquest was, apparently aside from this reference, an automatic movement line, so why would Longines have produced a tiny, manual-wind run?

Never seen another like it, but would love to see more.
 
Posts
267
Likes
586
Thanks for sharing, this is a great find 👍

As usual, the Longines archive department should be an inspiration for some others in the industry... 😗

Wear it in good health !
 
Posts
327
Likes
441
A very intriguing watch. Thanks for sharing these photos and the information from Longines.

I wonder when the earliest 9000-series Conquests were sold. This 9000-1 appears to have a serial number of 9'4xx'xxx: https://omegaforums.net/threads/newly-bought-1954-longines-conquest-9000.90783/

@Benbradstock Do you have an extract for the watch linked above? Maybe @yako54 has a 9000-1?

Sorry this is not my watch, so I don’t have an extract for it. I have a circa 1954 stainless Conquest for which I got the email extract soon after purchase. Not sure if it will be useful to you though…
 
Posts
2,829
Likes
4,945
I have a circa 1954 stainless Conquest for which I got the email extract soon after purchase. Not sure if it will be useful to you though…
I would be interested to know the serial number and the date of original invoice.
 
Posts
477
Likes
1,651
intersting info - thanks for sharing. I just looked in my archive extracts, I have a 9.7 million Conquest which was sold 1956 - need to find it... dont know where it is at the moment....
Edited:
 
Posts
133
Likes
500
Great find! And a bizarre anomaly.

As we all know, the Conquest was, apparently aside from this reference, an automatic movement line, so why would Longines have produced a tiny, manual-wind run?

Never seen another like it, but would love to see more.

Yes, that’s weird actually. The shape of the case back is made for allowing an automatic movement. And at that time Longines had automatic movements in production.
 
Posts
2,814
Likes
6,941
Yes, that’s weird actually. The shape of the case back is made for allowing an automatic movement. And at that time Longines had automatic movements in production.
Why do you say the case back is made for an automatic movement? It’s quite flat, particularly compared to the 9000 references such as the one @divetime showed.
 
Posts
374
Likes
344
That is just amazing. I love how the the writing for the word "waterproof" curves.
 
Posts
2,814
Likes
6,941
Quick update on this thread - it seems the alpha hand style on my conquest is most likely correct because some of the earliest 9000 ref Conquests also had the same faceted alpha hands. Here are a few examples. Interestingly all examples I’ve found had the same 3/6/9/12 markers, and the later versions of this dial variant seemed to have dauphine hands.


https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Origi...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-mrHRfHkz-/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-WdfqoKOSk/?utm_medium=copy_link
 
This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Posts
4,012
Likes
45,058
Those are stunning!

Funny enough, I was just seeing that first on eBay earlier today!