The final frontier - Omega women's?

I've been into men's watches and particularly Omegas for several years, and feel I have an OK idea about the options out there. But I admit I have almost never even looked into women's watches. Now my ignorance chickens are coming home to roost as I'd like to buy an Omega for a lady in my life - and I have no idea where to start! So I thought I'd throw the question out to our learned experts at OF.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has expertise in this side of the Omega portfolio, or happy experiences of watch shopping for a partner, and might recommend a model for me to look into further. To help narrow things down, I have the following in mind:

- Omega
- Yellow gold (plate or otherwise)
- Not gem-set or with an ornate jewellery-style bracelet
- Not overly small - around 30mm would be good?
- Mechanical or quartz is OK, but either way I'd feel better if the movement has a good reputation
- Vintage or neo-vintage (up to 90s) old school charm, I haven't seen much from recent catalogues that appeals

I understand this isn't a highly popular or well documented field of watches, which is why I'd really welcome your thoughts and advice. It would be great to hear about your stories and the watches you have a passion for!

Just thrown this out. In my news feed I think it was Bloomberg that had an article where the new thing is “men wearing women’s watches”. They had pics of celebrities doing so. I went to save the the article to post it but somehow lost it. I’m sure with a search it would be easy to find although I have not had luck yet.

Is gold a requirement? Because that is going to increase the price at used watch dealers? And do you want all gold, or bi-metal?

So this isn’t exhaustive by any means but I’ve covered about 9 ladies or unisex Omega models and will be continuing to expand on that over time, especially for vintage pieces here on the Stories section:

https://stories.omegaforums.net/tag/ladies-watches/

Expanding on the number of women active in the community is one of our goals as there are a lot of great value vintage Omega ladies models out there.

Expanding on the number of women active in the community is one of our goals as there are a lot of great value vintage Omega ladies models out there.

Sold these that were owned by Mrs STANDY over the last few years here to collectors for their significant others.

One on the left sounds like what you would be after 👍

M’lady’s assemblage of Omega watches. These are all from the 1960s, small, yellow and white 14-karat gold.

Thanks for your feedback, a number of good options and references here!

Sold these that were owned by Mrs STANDY over the last few years here to collectors for their significant others.

One on the left sounds like what you would be after 👍

Thanks for that Standy, do you have any idea what model of Seamaster the one on the left is?

Is gold a requirement? Because that is going to increase the price at used watch dealers? And do you want all gold, or bi-metal?

I really only specified gold as my wife recently saw a colour consultant and has since changed all her jewellery to gold colour! it's not really about precious metal content, things like plated or bi-metal would be viable options.

I'd be aiming for something less than 100 AUD, or about 600-650 USD.

You must mean 1000 AUD, no 100.

Over double your budget, but this watch is super cool:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/one...ellation-with-green-dial.159934/#post-2255288

img_4809-jpeg.1611686

Got a gold filled Omega 1953 Sub Seconds right here in the forums private listings for my wife, and she loves it.

At 32.8mm it wears proportionally on more feminine wrists, has a 344 in-house Omega bumper movement and (to me) sub-seconds placement, proportions that modern movements can't seem to get right.

Because of the smaller size, you should be able to keep in your $600-$650 USD budget with some hunting.

You can see pictures on-wrist on her Instagram and here's the watch,

Edited:

Before discussing the watch, we need to know more about the lady and her style. Does she usually wear casual clothing, bohemian, dressy or formal? Does she like flowers or pinstripes?
What’s her jewelery like? Costume jewelery? clean modern lines or dainty and frilly?

A 28mm watch is very different from a 32mm watch, but Omega’s ladies watches are smaller than that.

@dsio reviewed some great Omega ladies watches, and indeed there’s a beautiful gold Constellation available in the sales section.

The first step would be to go with her to a department store to try on many watches and see what size and style she prefers. Then it will be easier to narrow down.

My sister who is of small build and, I think, 5'2", owns a late 60's pie-pan Constellation 168.025 which is 34mm in diameter.
Not all women want tiny watches.

Got a gold filled Omega 1953 Sub Seconds right here in the forums private listings for my wife, and she loves it.

At 32.8mm it wears proportionally on more feminine wrists, has a 344 in-house Omega bumper movement and (to me) sub-seconds placement, proportions that modern movements can't seem to get right.

Because of the smaller size, you should be able to keep in your $600-$650 USD budget with some hunting.

You can see pictures on-wrist on her Instagram and here's the watch,

That is a glorious watch @thelinendial, great choice and I can understand why your wife loves it. I don't know much about bumpers but this is definitely on the shortlist.

Before discussing the watch, we need to know more about the lady and her style. Does she usually wear casual clothing, bohemian, dressy or formal? Does she like flowers or pinstripes?
What’s her jewelery like? Costume jewelery? clean modern lines or dainty and frilly?

A 28mm watch is very different from a 32mm watch, but Omega’s ladies watches are smaller than that.

@dsio reviewed some great Omega ladies watches, and indeed there’s a beautiful gold Constellation available in the sales section.

The first step would be to go with her to a department store to try on many watches and see what size and style she prefers. Then it will be easier to narrow down.

These are good questions to consider @Syrte. She's a professional but not a really dressy or formal type, probably a bit closer to bohemian than that gucci / LV archetype, if you'll excuse the overgeneralisation. Clean lines, not overly ornate or dainty. Given her profile I think she'd well suit, and also appreciate, something with a bit of vintage style and a bit of history.

These are good questions to consider @Syrte. She's a professional but not a really dressy or formal type, probably a bit closer to bohemian than that gucci / LV archetype, if you'll excuse the overgeneralisation. Clean lines, not overly ornate or dainty. Given her profile I think she'd well suit, and also appreciate, something with a bit of vintage style and a bit of history.

Then a watch like @thelinendial showed seems perfectly suited with regards to style, but you should really go to a store to try on different sizes.
As a woman buying my first pre-owned watch on Ebay, I had no idea how a millimeter measurement would feel and translate.

Also importantly, she should beware (and accept) that vintage is less resistant to shock than a modern quartz watch, cannot be worn in rainy weather, and that hand cream and perfume should not be applied when the watch is on the wrist. She should be aware of the technicalities of the crown area being a sensitive place for water and humidity ingress which could destroy the dial and the movement.