Forums Latest Members

The Ed White watch and the dial that's on the bay..

1. Cristeo Apr 18, 2016

Hi Guys,

Fairly new to all these. Have learnt a great deal from all the posts and members here, but haven't contribute much though. :thumbsdown:
    So first thing first, let me say a big thank you to this community :)

Ok here's the thing.
    Looking to liquid my Autavia 2446c GMT for an edwhite. Might be fair to say it's tough to get a decent looking edwhite below 10k in the current market. And 'decent' has slightly different meanings to different people isn't it. Lume plots colors and condition simply conveys a different message n feel, at least that's how I see it. Abit like gals..:p

So was thinking putting some parts together, of course might or might not be worth it in the end. In this case, putting the 'tropic' dial on the watch with the service dial.
    Apart from the apparent 'scratch' circumference on the dial, what else you guys think? And of course surely the price gona be closer to 2k I think.
    The watch seems to have a decent case and movement. Bezel n caseback looks not bad. Bracelet not too shabby. End links not sure if they are correct. Hands are off. Not sure about the pushers and crown.

Appreciate all comments and thoughts. :thumbsup:

Warmest.

image.jpeg image.png image.png
    image.png
    image.png
    image.png

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 18, 2016

At those prices, you end up with a dealer priced franken. It would probably look ok for wearing (though that dial is pretty worn and probably by hand). It might be hard to move on down the road if you ever sell.

For the kind of money you're considering, you could find a better one I think.

Dash1, Davidt, bazamu and 1 other person like this.
  3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 18, 2016

Agree with oddboy's take. Patience is key. With patience, you'll find a better example.

4. Just Livin Apr 18, 2016

Agree with the comments above. Well stated. And would not even regret paying above the market rate today for a piece that becomes available that exhibits the best quality. Over and above looking to piece one together for below the market rate today.
    Am sure that approach will serve you well in the future. I believe. Plus give you much more enjoyment whether on the wrist or next to your bedside table:)

5. Cristeo Apr 19, 2016

Thanks for all the valuable input guys, more than appreciated.
    I think for people who are somewhat new to all this, we must accept that to 'piece together' a good one, the required knowledge, experience and time committed to learning/scouring all these is not something that can happen over night. I'm sure the folks here too have wasted some good money on bad purchases and learnt the hard way.

So to conclude, Patience, Patience and Patience!

Someday I will find it..someday...:)

6. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 19, 2016

I think the even more important lesson to learn from the very beginning is that it's better to exercise patience and diligence in order to find an example that hasn't been pieced together by anyone. You will never regret waiting for the right piece and paying (maybe) a little more than you wanted - assuming that it's actually the piece that you want. The same cannot be said for many people who have tried to piece together a period-correct example without access to pristine vintage components. The results are typically frustrating, regardless of your level of knowledge/expertise, and it will never command the same market as an original example should you need/want to move on from it one day.

oddboy, Davidt, GregH and 1 other person like this.