Forums Latest Members

The dodgyness of eBay....sometimes

1. Lukeeesteve Feb 2, 2017

I'm sure that some of you have have encountered eBay buyers / sellers that have left you scratching your heads on what's going on ...

A couple of months ago, I was chasing this watch... I asked the seller about the watch and didn't get a warm fuzzy from the seller ... so I eventually decided not to pursue it after putting in a low bid. The description was somewhat interesting.... the minute hand repaired... and the watch was won by an eBay member for $18xx with 2 feedback entries. Hmmmmmm -

IMG_5725.PNG IMG_5727.PNG

Fast forward to today.....this pops is .... at first glance I think it's a different watch...different strap...different patina (or so I thought) ....then the minute hand jumps out at me. And I realize it's the same watch. The interesting thing is that the first seller was based in NY. This one out of the mid west..... listed as an estate find.

IMG_5726.PNG IMG_5723.PNG IMG_5724.PNG

So here I am trying to join the dots.....

Did the previous buyer buy the watch... then die!!?? (hence the 'estate' description)

Did the previous seller shill bid and then try to make a 2nd chance sales pitch to the 2nd highest bidder ......Which fell through. Then using a 3rd account to relist it as we see it now?

Oh the latest seller is 'jewellery and watch emporium' so I'm assuming it's not a private collector reselling it.

This one is a puzzler to me.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 2, 2017

It's only a puzzler if you you are trying to work out the journey this watch took with the constraint that all the people involved are not charlatans or snake oil salesmen.

3. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Feb 2, 2017

My guess would be winner is relisting it with a markup and now calling it an "estate" find. Explaining the new locations.

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  4. Lukeeesteve Feb 2, 2017

I initially thought that too but the previous buyer and current seller aren't the same eBay members and the last transaction was a month ago.

The original listing indicated freshly serviced and a ownership history too...
    all that isn't listed in the new listing too.

Yes I agree I'm suspicious... mainly because of a couple of attempted scams on eBay. Not saying this is a scam... just interesting

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 2, 2017

In this case I'd apply Occam's Razor.

The buyer managed to grab it at $1881 and maybe avoided the eye watering postage, they then put it up for a modest profit of about $500.

The 'estate' word is used as often as 'mint', NOS, rare etc. It just makes the next buyer think they are catching something new onto the market.

wsfarrell likes this.
  6. Lukeeesteve Feb 3, 2017

So curiosity got the better of me and I had to ask the original seller. He indicated that the buyer filed a claim that the watch was broken and was asking for compensation. Here is partial quote.

"This person bought it and then claimed it was broke trying to get me to refund some $ - a typical scumbag scheme. But all of a sudden it is still in perfect working condition according to the new statement! Thank you for the heads up - maybe now I can get that bs return case closed."

"that new name is known to me as well - he’s been lowballing with with funny offers before the other screen name bought it. same town and state though - obviously connected. No honor there at all….. Its the same watch 100%, I already contacted the bay to have the case closed and my $ released today hopefully "

Edited Feb 3, 2017
  7. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 3, 2017

If the story is accurate (need to hear from the both sides though) it shows some people have no class.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 3, 2017

Had dealers buy watches here off members and nearly double the price on their website within days. To some it's a quick buck and that's all.

Welcome to business 101

Used car salesmen have been doing it since Jesus played fullback for the Jerusalem's ;)

Deafboy likes this.
  9. WatchWarlock Feb 3, 2017

Casually selling on eBay rough. I essentially had to cave to feedback extortion in my early listings, since a negative feedback would make a significant dent in my rating. There are definitely predators out there. That's why I try set minimum feedback/rating % in my disclaimer to avoid something like this from happening.