Forums Latest Members
  1. watchtinker Apr 26, 2017

To the best of my knowlegde, service dials have been provided, over the years, by different manufacturers and, consequently, with different fonts. The one under scrutiny was made by Singer which, again to the best of my knowledge, has never produced a service dial with narrow TTs.
    Also, the black paint and the lume on the indexes point toward a service dial.

2. TNTwatch Apr 26, 2017

Can you elaborate on why the black paint would indicate a service dial? I can see repairing touch up splotches all over. The indices look indeed too new for an original dial, but I'm not sure what are your criteria of a service dial as opposed to an original one.

The fonts actually are quite representative of the period when it was made, and together represent an evolution. Dials made in the same period would usually have the same or very close font types, and decades apart would be quite different, regardless of who were the suppliers. In the Moonwatch line, I've only seen one rare case where the O and S of the 2915 came back a decade later on a couple of rare models. I've never seen a dial made several decades later that has the same font design as the original one.

3. watchtinker Apr 26, 2017

Said in advance that no dial can be really assessed other than examining it under a loupe, my sensation is that the paint does not belong to the sixties. Of course, I might be wrong but the fact that the step is very much similar to more recent service items (late eighties-mid nineties) and that from the early eighties the standard service dials were provided with largely spaced TTs and the Professional inscription points me to the conclusion that the dial under scrutiny is likely to be a partially redone one. Additionally, I do not remember any service dial with narrow TTs nor any original dial with a similar T Swiss Made T inscription.

With respect to the font types, they are not determinant, since they are still available from many clichets. My point is that when an item can be sold for money largely exceeding its production value, conterfeits start chiming in.

I any case, I would be happy to see an identical dial, either original to the model or service replacement.

4. M'Bob Apr 26, 2017

My guess is that side by side, the paint difference would be obvious. On the older dials, the paint is "grainier." The problem is, when fakes are good, unless you have an original on hand to compare side by side, you can get skunked.

5. nixf6 Apr 26, 2017

Please view Speedmaster101.
    Go to Service dials section and look at the second watch in the line of 4 watches.Close T's on that service dial with long indices .

6. watchtinker Apr 26, 2017

Thank you, but the dial you pointed out does not feature the applied logo. It was produced for a short time but it remained available from part providers well into the first half of the Nineties.

TTs_no_applied_logo.jpg

7. watchtinker Apr 26, 2017

Exactly. :cool:

8. Sculler22 Apr 26, 2017

This level of detail is way above my pay grade, luckily for me, and all of us, OF has such experts on hand willing to share their knowledge.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  9. watchtinker Apr 28, 2017

10. Drawarms Apr 28, 2017

I won but will be passing on it. Thanks @oddboy for the heads up.

oddboy likes this.
  11. Davidt May 3, 2017

12. Fost May 4, 2017

This time the T was more difficult to add :)