Forums Latest Members

The Curious Case of the Corroborated Constellation Crown

1. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Feb 13, 2022

I just bought a french cased Constellation with cal. 354 innards. Although it has no four-digit case reference, the dial looks exactly like a 2648 dial.
    connie  2.jpg connie  3.jpg connie  4.jpg

My first thought was that the crown was clearly not original.
    However, when I googled french-cased Constellations, a remarkable pattern emerged:

First, @cristos71 has owned an identical french-cased Constellation and was very helpful in providing photos and information. Our watches are only 300 serial no's apart. Both case numbers have the format 1121XXXX.
    Here is his former watch:
    028.JPG
    040.JPG

Now, that's two.
    Let us turn to @mondodec / Desmond Guilfoyle's invaluable reference. Although we cannot se if the crown is signed, it still looks conspicuously similar: https://omega-constellation-collect...8/a-french-omega-constellation-2648-seen.html
    photo 1.JPG
    Same case number 1121XXXX.

And - as the fourth in the lot, from @kedrico from our own forum:
    x1022918-23aa1f08d127f33fd8c929a9ed13b2b6.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FoSnFjliMs.jpg
    This watch, with its aberrant case and missing Fab. Suisse, is still a french cased watch. The thread has many interesting points and I urge you to read it. One of the highlights is @kedrico 's contact with Jean-Louis Strack, a french Omega certified watchmaker, who states that the first french constellations were delivered with unsigned crowns. And the crown is solid gold! 21101209475625540617613435.jpg
    So now, thanks to my fellow ΩF members, I can confidently say that the crown on my watch is original, and that the first title of this post ("counterfeit") fortunately turned out to be wrong!

Edited Feb 13, 2022
  2. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2022

Hi @felsby

When we stray from Omega Swiss cased watches... anything can happen.... I have a French cased Moonphase w cal 381... Can I suggest you change the title of your post. The crown in question would never be considered "Counterfeit" ... "Unsigned" would be more accurate...

Good Hunting
    Bill

watchyouwant and felsby like this.
  3. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Feb 13, 2022

I thought a little of using a more correct word - only my love of letter rhymes drove me to it! :whipped:
    I will gladly change it, I will look for an adjective commencing with C. But I am not a native english speaker :(

4. sleepyastronaut Feb 13, 2022

Continental

ConElPueblo and felsby like this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 13, 2022

The curious case of the corroborated constellation crown

felsby likes this.
  6. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Feb 13, 2022

Win! :thumbsup:

Peemacgee likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Feb 13, 2022

It's called "alliteration". Yes, I use my English degree daily! (Technical writer by trade.)

felsby likes this.
  8. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Feb 13, 2022

Thanks - I just made up a literal translation of the danish word for it :D

SkunkPrince likes this.