Forums Latest Members

The cost of a new Hesalite Crystal

1. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

Would anyone have a idea what the cost is for a replacement hesalite crystal for a Speedy Moon Watch? I just purchased it recently and got a very small abrasion on it between the 6 and 7:00 markers. My OCD is kicking in big time and since I just bought it I’m depressed too! I’ve recently heard you can polish some scratches and abrasions out but doesn’t that mess with the hesalite crystal at all visually? Since it’s new I’d rather have a replacement and a Omega one do as to still have original and that Omega logo etched into the crystal.

fskywalker likes this.
  2. uwsearch Jan 2, 2018

Prices did go up from chf15 to chf50 recently in Switzerland.

Speedy Gonzales and kov like this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 2, 2018

Pictures would make it easier to assist.

Polywatch, search here using that term.

$35-50 is cost for hesalite. I have only bought when having a watch serviced. So there would also be an install fee.

Highly likely you can polish it out.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2018

Not anymore...at least not for genuine crystals.

I agree that what are described above can likely be polished out easily...

5. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

So what would a Omega replacement run with install at a AD or Omega themselves. I don’t trust myself to polish it out and the closeset watch repair facilities are 2.5 hrs away from me. Not sure if I could take a pic it’s so faint.

ejj likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2018

Omega won't just replace the crystal...

If it's so faint you can't take a photo, then you can polish it out with Polywatch. No power tools needed, and it's very low risk. Unless you can't tie your own shoes, I'm sure you could do it...no offence to anyone who can't tie their own shoes by the way...just a figure of speech. ;)

noelekal, GrapeFruit, Dash1 and 13 others like this.
  7. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

I took this photo and the abrasion is between the 6:00 and 7:00 markers. It’s more of a abrasion than a deep scratch. Excuse the quality of pic.

4BE4403C-B9B8-4324-81BB-C918A547A8C6.jpeg
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 2, 2018

YouTube Polywatch. It's so very simple. If it's so faint you can't pick it, then you can just buff it out with Polywatch.

Random watch pic. We like threads with pics.

IMG_20170529_183957.jpg

9. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

Archer, why won’t Omega replace the crystal?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2018

I didn't say they would not replace it, but that they would not "just" replace the crystal. They will require other work to be done at the same time...

11. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

Well that sucks.. I just got it a couple days ago. The Omega store I bought it from is going to call corporate and see what they can do.

12. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

I did call a watch repair store in St. Louis and they said if it’s polishable than they’d do it for 20.00

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2018

You can do it yourself in about 3 minutes mate...

14. Thegreatroberto Jan 2, 2018

And given you have the hesalite crystal get used to these type of scratches. But the benefit of this crystal is that you can polosh them out easily as well. For any regular speedy owner polywatch is a regular event.
    I dropped my speedy on the bathroom floor after 6 months of ownership. Dented the bezel at 10 O'clock. Drove me nuts. But not that much, as I only had that changed out at its first service after nearly 10 years!
    As an aside the Omega Service centre only had to polish my crystal rather than replace.

SybariticStu likes this.
  15. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

I just ordered a tube however I have no patience and guess it’s worth the 20.00 to get it polished today. I will have a tube for possible future f..kups and I’ll do it myself then Archer! Haha

16. dan7800 Jan 2, 2018

That's why I wear velcros

Dash1, Mtek and Archer like this.
  17. MG-Speedy Jan 2, 2018

You have no risk if you try by yourself with polywatch since you want to change it anyway - but you will be positively surprised ... ;)

18. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

Well, I’ve got a tube coming but will have it done today by a watch repair store. If it comes out good then won’t have a need to replace it unless it comes out not 100%

19. gdupree Jan 2, 2018

We promise you, this is not a big deal. Get it polished out for $20 bucks if it makes you feel good, and then when you scratch it 5 min after you get it back, use the polywatch.

Literally any size scratch will polish out provided that a) the crystal isn’t cracked/broken, and b) the crystal has not been polished so thin that there is no crystal left to polish. Then you replace the crystal.

20. SybariticStu Jan 2, 2018

Yeah, it will make me feel all giddy inside to have it done today.. I guess I can afford the 20.00 to have it done. And will have a tube of dat stuff ready the next time it gets scratched. However, I’m betting it’s longer than 5 minutes after I leave the establishment but heck you never know...
    I’m not a collector and a first time watch wearing kinda guy since my phone has been my timepiece for years. Never had to polish anything like this but I do a good job on the chrome on my Harley

Edited Jan 2, 2018