Forums Latest Members

The Commercial - and now general space travel - Thread (No Politics Allowed)

1. pdxleaf ... Aug 29, 2022

+1.

Artemis 1, go around moon with mannequins.

Artemis 2, go around the moon with humans ( as close as 8889km vs Apollo 8 at 184km, so not so ambitious here.)

Artemis 3, go to gateway station orbiting moon, transfer into landing craft, land on moon, spend 6.5 days there and return to orbiting Gateway to transfer back to Orion for return.

All with craft built by Boeing, ESA and SpaceX, not to mention the other systems.

To do all this with 3 launches, and only one human occupied test seems ambitious. So was Apollo (especially Apollo 8, that so close to the moon). But to a layman, it feels like they could have built in another test launch.

Very ambitious.

Omegafanman, TLIGuy and vbrad26 like this.
  2. pdxleaf ... Aug 29, 2022

Sorry to hear that.

Looks like a big crowd. Any logistical tips for good viewing and getting around? (Get up early sounds like one.)

3. TLIGuy Aug 29, 2022

@pdxleaf I wish I could provide you some valuable insight but I have non to offer.

I have been fortunate enough to travel with a friend that works for NASA at the executive level. She has special access that has afforded me the opportunity to bypass much of what the general public has to go through to view the launch. Unfortunately we will return to Virginia tomorrow so seeing the launch if it happens Friday is not going to be possible.

I've followed this thread at collectSPACE and it might be worth keeping an eye on for information regarding viewing the launch.

collectSPACE - Artemis 1 launch viewing: plans and reports

4. Walrus Aug 29, 2022

So SpaceX is building the lunar lander that will bring the astronauts to the moon. That must be some intense engineering. I did a little CNC work in the past, never any flight specific parts the tolerances were crazy for the group doing those. I remember the company bigwigs got called down because a plane was overweight by a significant amount and they could not figure out why. I forget if it was punch pins or whatever they use to assemble the exterior were not ground down which I think was supposed to be done after assembly. Very little metal had to be removed but with the amount of them it was enough to throw it off.
    The tolerance NASA and the private companies have to work with must be intense. PS I just did the easy stuff nothing very intricate.

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. Omegafanman Aug 29, 2022

It is a brave new world - Hopefully one day science will even find a way to cure sleep-typing.

upload_2022-8-29_19-14-28.gif

pdxleaf likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2022

Reading the forum, it hasn’t happened yet!

7. vbrad26 Aug 31, 2022

UPDATE:

Launch attempt #2 moved to Saturday 9/3 with a window of 2:17PM-4:17PM EST with a 60% forecast that weather could prevent the launch.
    Again that is assuming they can get to the bottom of their cooling "issue".
    They say it could just be sensor related. However replacing said sensor would likely require them to roll the rocket back off the pad, which could result in some serious delays.
    So instead, they are adjusting their procedure of loading propellant into the rocket, and will start trying to chill the engine to the optimal temperature earlier during the countdown.

pdxleaf and Omegafanman like this.
  8. sheepdoll Sep 2, 2022

Sort of space related I see the SETI institute has announce the passing of Frank Drake.
    https://www.seti.org/frank-d-drake-1930-2022

I was able to meet him a few time at talks and confrences. Sometimes he would just be an audience member, other times the Keynote speaker. Had a wonderful sense of Humor. We had a bit of email exchange as I could not remember the name of the children's book that is arguably about him. We both remembered Danny Brown. Turned out the Boos series was called Danny Dunn. and the book was Danny Dunn and the voice from space. Curious how the mind works as Dunn is also a name for the color brown. Communication is a complex topic, and space travel would not be possible without it.

Frank also quite involved with Arecibo, which played a part in one of the Bond flicks, which also had a cameo part played by a rather nice watch.

-j

kkt, vbrad26 and pdxleaf like this.
  9. TLIGuy Sep 3, 2022

Forgot to update a picture from my tour of the Artemis rocket and launch pad the day after last weeks scrubbed launch attempt.

Fingers crossed for today!!

IMG_1696.jpeg

Walrus, vbrad26, Omegafanman and 3 others like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2022

Sounds like there are more issues, something to do with an LH2 leak during the fuelling process. Unlike most British cars, it can’t launch while leaking so they will need to solve that during the launch window.

kkt, Omegafanman and TLIGuy like this.
  11. TLIGuy Sep 3, 2022

@dsio you are correct. Looks like my time to see the launch is going to pass me by again. Here is a view today from our viewing area. Beautiful day for a launch, but word is now sounds like a no go again.:(

IMG_1697.jpeg

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. pdxleaf ... Sep 3, 2022

A bit disturbing. Three scrubs (including the first wet, non-launch), all from leaks.

13. vbrad26 Sep 6, 2022

Yeah definitely a bit of a bummer weekend.
    Hopefully they can get it all sorted out before next attempt window starting Monday 9/19

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2022

Definitely better here than up there but this vehicle is starting to sound like my old BMW E46 at this point. If they need to borrow some drip trays I can hook them up gratis.

Darlinboy, Scarecrow Boat and vbrad26 like this.
  15. vbrad26 Sep 12, 2022

16. vbrad26 Sep 13, 2022

NASA Adjusts Dates for Artemis I Cryogenic Demonstration Test and Launch; Progress at Pad Continues

NASA has adjusted the targeted dates for a cryogenic demonstration test and to the next launch opportunities for Artemis I, the first integrated flight test of the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft beyond the Moon. The agency will conduct the demonstration test no earlier than Wednesday, Sept. 21, and has updated its request for a launch opportunity Sept. 27, with a potential backup opportunity of Oct. 2 under review.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022...on-test-and-launch-progress-at-pad-continues/

17. pdxleaf ... Sep 13, 2022

Between Blue Origin and Artemis, Crew5 might be feeling a liitle queasy. They'll be forgiven if they have slightly elevated heart rates during launch.

18. 140dave Sep 13, 2022

pdxleaf likes this.
  19. vbrad26 Sep 13, 2022

Oh yeah? I've missed that somehow...

20. 140dave Sep 13, 2022

vbrad26 likes this.