Forums Latest Members

The Commercial - and now general space travel - Thread (No Politics Allowed)

1. gbesq Oct 15, 2021

With approximately 400 billion stars estimated to exist in our neighborhood (the Milky Way Galaxy), the probability that we are alone is virtually nil. What is certain, however, is that our closest neighbors aren’t exactly living next door since the nearest star to our Sun, Proxima Centauri, is more than 4 light years distant.

vbrad26 likes this.
  2. vbrad26 Oct 15, 2021

Or, is it all just a simulation?
    ::stirthepot::

cvalue13 and Omegafanman like this.
  3. Omegafanman Oct 15, 2021

I used to be in your camp but increasingly I sit on the fence and think we could well be alone in any meaningfull sense given the evolutionary time and steps it has taken to reach this tenuous point. As you say if there is other intelligent life the spatial challenges are vast - not forgetting the temporal / timing issues in terms of a discovery. If we could discover any hint of life elsewhere, if we were able to synthesise life, if we were able to generate artifical consciousness etc there would be a firmer base to reach a judgement. Until we have mastered some of the real fundementals I think there are strong arguments that ours could be a unique situation (and even with infinite time monkeys and typewriters you would not get shakesphere). I do think that is why space exploration is a critical pillar of our development.

vbrad26 likes this.
  4. gbesq Oct 15, 2021

Certainly anything is possible, but I tend to think that we cannot possibly be alone given the vastness of the universe. Our galaxy to the universe is the equivalent of a grain of sand on a beach. Yes, the distances between individual stars, let alone galaxies, is staggering, but I think it’s likely that there are other civilizations out there that have developed to a point where interstellar travel is achievable in a compressed timeframe. I suspect that eventually we will be contacted. Whether that occurs in our lifetime is another question. It certainly is conceivable that we have already been examined by far more advanced civilizations and a decision was made that the human race is still a bunch of tribal barbarians that is not ready for prime time.

5. pdxleaf ... Oct 15, 2021

Not sure where I heard this, but given the history of exploration on Earth, pity the poor Alien Indians.

I think there's a good chance there is other life in the universe but they are hiding.

6. time flies Oct 15, 2021

Me? I just have a hard time with the notion "we" are at the top of the universal food chain, or the top of the brain trust or whatever.

have fun
    kfw

vbrad26 likes this.
  7. gbesq Oct 15, 2021

If we are, the universe is in real trouble. :eek:

8. pdxleaf ... Oct 15, 2021

So, you have been reading my posts...

cvalue13 likes this.
  9. Omegafanman Oct 15, 2021

Maybe we are an aberration and most life is inside the stars being nuclear based ultrahigh temperature energy lifeforms / or perhaps when a civilisation solves the puzzle of life the Universe and everything hanging around in our dimension becomes less relevant.

ghce likes this.
  10. Omegafanman Oct 15, 2021

Whatever the merits of Virgin Galactic, being Chief pilot is some achievement and it must be one hell of a ride. David Mackay (ex RAF Test Pilot, Commanding Officer at the RAF fast jet flight and holder of the Air Force Cross) is the Chief pilot and now qualified as an FAA commercial astronaut – so the first Scotsman in space.

Some who always dreamed of flying and was inspired by the Apollo missions … so which watch to choose…. :0)

Dave Mackay: how I became a Spaceship Pilot - Virgin Galactic

Virgin .jpg Watch 01.jpg Virgin 2.jpg Flight.jpg 05.jpg
    Edited Oct 15, 2021
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 15, 2021

Since I really know jack about watches. What is Bill wearing in this pic?

upload_2021-10-15_15-44-1.jpeg

12. Pianotuna Oct 15, 2021

I can’t recall which eminent scientist posed the question “are we alone?”

It doesn’t seem possible we’re the only living beings in the entire universe. And if we are, well we’re not doing a very good job of it.

13. Pianotuna Oct 15, 2021

Are you thinking Person of Interest?
    or Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

14. Pianotuna Oct 15, 2021

I know possibly slightly less than you but if pushed I’d guess it was a Heuer Monaco.

On the related theme, I for one was really pleased for Bill Shatner to make the trip, and it was somehow appropriate, in this unique meeting of Art meeting Life, that James T. Kirk is the oldest man in Space.

ghce likes this.
  15. Walrus Oct 15, 2021

It’s odd it seems like we could do so much better but it’s just so easy not to get along. Even on forums such as this where people interact in such an indirect impersonal manner look how quickly the personal insults can fly between people who at heart know nothing about each other. Kind of strange how we get. Your an idiot if you like this guy or your stupid if you like this currency. There seems to be very little that humans can’t argue about. And judging each other we good at that. Seems to be in our nature. Maybe someday we will get it right I’ll start working on it tomorrow. Maybe Sunday.

Pianotuna and Omegafanman like this.
  16. stonestone Oct 15, 2021

I don't know, they seem to be doing less good a job of hiding these days.

pdxleaf likes this.
  17. Omegafanman Oct 16, 2021

I think you know a lot more than you let on ;0)...
    based on the size it could be a wrist mounted tricorder but Bell and Ross seems a good fit with an aeronautical nod.
    Probably could mount that on a dashboard.

5697915C-C873-407A-A3D1-AA48BA0B2234.png
    The Father and Pianotuna like this.
  18. pdxleaf ... Oct 16, 2021

The future of spaceflight seems to be led by China. With their building of a new space station that is intended to last at least a decade and the ISS that is expected to last until 2024, there soon may only be Chinese and Russians in space. [This is not political, just reality.]

There is talk of a moon base also, with cooperation between China and Russia.

This means the next moon watch will likely be a variation of this: Fiyta-Spacemaster-gear-patrol-ambiance-1.jpg

vbrad26 and Omega wu like this.
  19. 140dave Oct 16, 2021

And think the extra thrill for the others in the capsule. Not only can they say they have been to space, they can say the went with James Tiberious Kirk! That’s extra bragging rights for sure.

20. pdxleaf ... Oct 16, 2021

Great article. Thanks. Amazing to me that at a young age he knew what he wanted to do and did whatever it took to accomplish it. FAA commercial astronaut. Mind blowing.

Just to interject myself into the story ::facepalm2::, he mentioned growing up in nw Scotland and watching the planes fly below him. That prompted a memory. There is a place in Glencoe Scotland where you can walk up a mountain and walk along a ridge trail that allows you to look down into a valley. I did it once years ago and had that experience of seeing a fighter plane (i think a Tornado) flying below through the clouds. It's a spectacular hike and takes less than a day. A little scrambling but nothing technical. I don't remember the name of the trail so googled Glencoe and the trail sounds like it might be this one: Aonach Eagach. A recommended trip and cheaper than a Virgin Galactic ticket.

As much as I get annoyed by rich folks flying into space, Mr. Mackay made it sound like an amazing and worthwhile experience. At least building a system to fly passengers in space has the potential to benefit more people than buying an Island or building another 24,000 square foot home for yourself.

Wishing all the pilots and crew safe journeys.

Omegafanman likes this.