Forums Latest Members
  1. flyingout Dec 23, 2015

No disagreement. I scratched my head seeing the pictures and came to my own conclusion seeing the watch in person. The quote is just another data point in working to understand how the auction world works.

Toxisi likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 23, 2015

I still say that the -2 would have gone higher if the -1 hadn't been in the running.

And I'm still curious to hear why Lot 3 was removed.

3. M'Bob Dec 23, 2015

I agree regarding the people, but not the watches. A tool is a tool: yes, it has a life, and that life can be indicated by the condition. But the fact remains, since we don't collect people, that the tool in the best, original condition always seems to be more desirable than the one that is more worn. I mean more desirable economically. If you like them more worn, then you get off more cheaply than many of us.

Cortezthekiller and wsfarrell like this.
  4. georgetownhoya Dec 25, 2015

Hi Gentlemen! Just a quick note that there was an invoicing error with Lot 3 and unfortunately when that happens the lot is automatically taken down from the Christie's LotFinder. The invoice was re-issued and will be paid, but we need to wait until after Christie's re-opens on January 4 to I hope get Lot 3 to show up again. No conspiracy is at play, fortunately, but it is of strong annoyance to my colleagues and me that this happened. I wish you all a blessed 2016! Best regards, Eric

Edited Dec 25, 2015
    Waynepjr likes this.
  5. georgetownhoya Dec 25, 2015

I have heard of it and like your site! Not sure who you may have asked, but you did not ask me, unfortunately.

Gentlemen, you are welcome to dump on auction houses generally, Christie's specifically, me, whatever, but we did not put together the OMEGA SPEEDMASTER 50 auction in the vacuum. We had plenty of help and review beyond our Christie's staff, and were happy to have had our watches examined by other Speedmaster experts. I consider myself knowledgeable about Speedmasters, but you are welcome to disagree.

In the meantime, you can rest your bones as I don't think we will be doing another Speedmaster-specific auction anytime soon. Maybe OMEGA SPEEDMASTER 75 in 2040 or OMEGA SPEEDMASTER 100 in 2065? Better start hoarding more Speedmasters! ;)

Best regards,
    Eric Wind
    [email protected]

_Dracha_, Dunebug, WatchFred and 9 others like this.
  6. gminnj Dec 25, 2015

Eric, nice of you to come here and update.

The fact that there are no plans for another Speedmaster specific auction must mean that from Christie's point of view, the results were disappointing.

If not, another would surely be under consideration... After all, the auction houses exist to make money, no?

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 26, 2015

I think, from Christies point of view in relation to profits, that speedmaster auction was rather a milestone tribute to a milestone watch. all the pre auction efforts might have eaten most of the profit anyway. a few Rolex Paul Newman chronos would have brought easier money into the kitty.... I really appreciate the efforts ; this time it was not all about profits and money ! keep it up, Eric and a very good 2016 to everyone ! kind regards. achim

8. Toxisi Dec 26, 2015

In relation to profits, auctioneers fill their kittys any possible way. Works wonders for sellers, too

9. whippetman01 Dec 26, 2015

Invoice error .......?