The Canada Appreciation Thread

Locked
Posts
35,645
Likes
39,895
An island only a mother could love. Mother Earth.
We call our unloved island Tasmania, I believe @STANDY is on a mission there at the moment teaching them how to read or something.
 
Posts
18,736
Likes
38,884
We call our unloved island Tasmania, I believe @STANDY is on a mission there at the moment teaching them how to read or something.
He's probably gone into hibernation as the temperatures down there are too low to suport a Territorian's daily activities while wearing traditional NT dress (thongs, Stubbies and a blue Chesty Bond).
 
Posts
2,781
Likes
4,706
He's probably gone into hibernation as the temperatures down there are too low to suport a Territorian's daily activities while wearing traditional NT dress (thongs, Stubbies and a blue Chesty Bond).
So he's dressing formal then!
 
Posts
3,296
Likes
9,919
Agreed. Here it is for anyone who wants to read it...
Great speech, I would be proud if we had leaders that made speeches like this.

On a side note; the problems he adresses is just a little taste of what the third world have endured for centuries. And each time they tried to "take down the sign" it was promptly put ou again by the powerfull nationes of the first world. Like PM Carney said "Collective investments in resilience are cheaper than everyone building their own fortresses" in the future this collective must be broader to include the whole world.
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
Good to see Standy mentioned on this thread.

In my shop I am surrounded by blades.

And I get more and more requests from people who want something made in Canada.

Standy taught me how to sharpen my blades. And they get a lot of use.

The round knife pictured came from a garage sale. It was so dull. A butter knife was more effective.



Now it’s as sharp as my new one and sits in my portable leather tool kit.

And in my shop I use the ones pictured below. The round one gets the most use. It will cut through three heavy layers like this sheath that I just finished.




Made in Canada. With some help from Standy.

Arkansas stone and yes, old tools made in the USA or England. Blades from Germany.
 
Posts
2,411
Likes
3,216
I had no idea.
Plastic money is an Australian invention, they started with Polymer notes in the late 80's. 😀
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
Plastic money is an Australian invention, they started with Polymer notes in the late 80's. 😀
I have a sealed bi-centennial plastic note from Australia - bought it on my first trip there in 1988.
 
Posts
442
Likes
2,082
Good to see Standy mentioned on this thread.

In my shop I am surrounded by blades.

And I get more and more requests from people who want something made in Canada.

Standy taught me how to sharpen my blades. And they get a lot of use.

The round knife pictured came from a garage sale. It was so dull. A butter knife was more effective.



Now it’s as sharp as my new one and sits in my portable leather tool kit.

And in my shop I use the ones pictured below. The round one gets the most use. It will cut through three heavy layers like this sheath that I just finished.




M in Canada. With some help from Standy.

Arkansas stone and yes, old tools made in the USA or England. Blades from Germany.
Standy lives near you normally?
 
Posts
5,306
Likes
53,926
Plastic money is an Australian invention, they started with Polymer notes in the late 80's. 😀
So money no longer grows on trees 😲😲😲
 
Posts
5,306
Likes
53,926
No these days it originates from oil wells!
Oh I see, that explains Venezuela and Greenland The OF is such a wealth of info😀
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
Big storm? Big decisions. Hockey? Or fishing?

Taken a few minutes ago on the little pond where I sometimes Kayak.
 
Posts
2,347
Likes
18,704
Big storm? Big decisions. Hockey? Or fishing?

Taken a few minutes ago on the little pond where I sometimes Kayak.
hmm must be intermission, even the goal judge left his seat.
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
@Duracuir1
Ditch the kayak and grab the snow shoes?
Stay safe & warm, mate.
My friend Liam paddles the Thames (the real Thames in London, Ontario, Canada) in minus 10 temperatures.



Dry suit and partner are essential.

But yesterday it was minus 22, so he decided to take his photo from shore.



Regarding the Thames in London England. My wife and I received a wonderful tour on a police boat courtesy of the Metropolitan Police. It was impressive.
 
Posts
2,781
Likes
4,706
Regarding the Thames in London England. My wife and I received a wonderful tour on a police boat courtesy of the Metropolitan Police. It was impressive.
Did they also drive you around in a blue light taxi and offer accommodation in HM's Stone & Bars Hotel?
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,836
My friend Liam paddles the Thames (the real Thames in London, Ontario, Canada) in minus 10 temperatures.



Dry suit and partner are essential.

But yesterday it was minus 22, so he decided to take his photo from shore.



Regarding the Thames in London England. My wife and I received a wonderful tour on a police boat courtesy of the Metropolitan Police. It was impressive.
The Thames. Too thin to walk on, too thick to drink!