The Canada Appreciation Thread

Locked
Posts
7,775
Likes
14,368
Boom back at ya. This one is a classic for sure.

I was agnostic, but a heartbreaker for the Blue Jays. But tremendous entertainment for the fans.
Edited:
 
Posts
6,467
Likes
21,985
Epic. What a heartbreak. Unbelievable. Battle to the end.
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
Certainly not the outcome I wanted, but in hindsight this was an epic World Series.

Just a reminder where the “experts” thought the Jays would end up in the AL East…


So many records set by the Jays. Another last night…

Just needed him to hit 31…
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,106
Great series … was pulling for the Jays … Great Lakes solidarity. Sorry Jays fans.
 
Posts
337
Likes
932
I stayed up to the end. Probably the best baseball game I have ever watched! I was pulling for the Jays!
 
Posts
917
Likes
4,955
If you see someone wearing a L.A. Dodgers jersey while riding a bicycle through the streets of Toronto don't be alarmed it's Mayor Chow. 😂
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
In other sports news, we had our premiere league final today in Ottawa, and despite the snow this was an amazing goal…

 
Posts
4,855
Likes
12,277
In other sports news, we had our premiere league final today in Ottawa, and despite the snow this was an amazing goal…

Amazing goal! Those are some hardy footballers playing in snow like that. No under turf heaters like in the Bundesliga.
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
Watches at Costco? Sure, but how about a bit of maple syrup?



We take our syrup seriously up here! 😀
 
Posts
35,647
Likes
39,895
Watches at Costco? Sure, but how about a bit of maple syrup?



We take our syrup seriously up here! 😀
After that documentary, I'd want to see all the paperwork and certificate of authenticity on any discount barrels. I've rewatched it a few times now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Canadian_Maple_Syrup_Heist and it is just so out there and borderline unbelievable that it's almost hilarious.

The Quebecois don't mess around when it comes to Le Acéricoles
 
Posts
2,411
Likes
3,216
Watches at Costco? Sure, but how about a bit of maple syrup?



We take our syrup seriously up here! 😀
I kind of want one.
 
Posts
35,647
Likes
39,895
The only thing stopping me:
Is that just a legal disclaimer though? I thought real maple syrup was like honey in that it couldn't expire... I've never put it in the fridge ever, though in Canada I guess everywhere is kind of a fridge.
 
Posts
6,467
Likes
21,985
Is that just a legal disclaimer though? I thought real maple syrup was like honey in that it couldn't expire... I've never put it in the fridge ever, though in Canada I guess everywhere is kind of a fridge.
We get our much smaller containers from Costco.

We didn't use to refrigerate them until we found mold in one. We probably used to go through them quickly before they had a chance to grow mold. You could scoop out the floating mold to get to the syrup, but that's a little unappetising. It's not so much that the syrup goes bad but that the debris it gathers grows moldy.

After the mold incident, I read the label. There in big letters it said to refrigerate.



That big-o-barrell would be a toxic mess left on the counter.
 
Posts
30,180
Likes
77,927
Canadian money (bills) are not only colourful, but they are made of plastic, so are very long lasting.

It also has some interesting features - here's a $20 and $5:



To the left is a laser pointer - if you shine that through the maple leaf that is on the left side of the bills, between "Canada" and the denomination, you will see this on the wall with the $5:



And the $20:



It is a cool anticounterfeit feature.
 
Posts
5,306
Likes
53,927
Canadian money (bills) are not only colourful, but they are made of plastic, so are very long lasting.

It also has some interesting features - here's a $20 and $5:



To the left is a laser pointer - if you shine that through the maple leaf that is on the left side of the bills, between "Canada" and the denomination, you will see this on the wall with the $5:



And the $20:



It is a cool anticounterfeit feature.
Yes, but the important takeaway is that you don't need to refrigerate the dollar bills unlike the Maple Syrup😀
Unless of course you like cool hard cash!