Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 1, 2022

2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Feb 1, 2022

In a similar fashion as above, I follow @tyrantlizardrex Time4aPint’s Instagram page and saw this wonderful photo of his from his tour of the empty Science Museum. Chris has plenty more wonderful photos to view :)
    D216C79D-4980-4DD2-90EA-4290507FCF75.jpeg

zhark, Alpha, Valisk_61 and 6 others like this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Feb 2, 2022

Was so weird to be in the Science Museum yesterday when it was empty.

A day of volunteer retraining as they slowly re-open tours (I help out in the Clockmakers Company Gallery).

We couldn't get up to the flight gallery (they were moving Aero engines around yesterday), but here's two other aviation associated items from the ground floor that you can't normally get a clear picture:

IMG_8609.jpg IMG_8610.jpg IMG_8616.jpg IMG_8617.jpg IMG_8618.jpg

Alpha, Valisk_61, Jones in LA and 5 others like this.
  4. Omegafanman Feb 2, 2022

@tyrantlizardrex
    They used to have a Marine Chronometer but I am not sure if it is on display?
    OBJECT NUMBER: 1975-13

Also some shots of the Lunar module replica would be nice

5. tyrantlizardrex Feb 2, 2022

We learned yesterday that only 3% of the Science museum groups objects are on display across all of the museums - so the probably have at least one marine chronometer, but I don’t think it is on display in London.

In the clockmakers gallery (which is owned by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers, and is the oldest collection of clocks and watches in the world) there are several, including one of the Kullberg’s that was recovered from the Terra Nova, and Harrison’s H5.

If I find myself there on another day when it’s closed, I’ll be sure to get pictures of as much as I can!

Jones in LA and Omegafanman like this.
  6. Omegafanman Feb 2, 2022

[
    That’s the trouble with Museums and they loose stuff which is not surprising given the vast number of artefacts they look after.... maybe someone will dig out a lost Moon walked Speedmaster one day ;0)

7. tyrantlizardrex Feb 2, 2022

Over the last couple of years they've been running a project called the One Collection, to asses, photograph and re-catalogue all of their objects, and then move all of the separate stores into one brand new purpose built facility out in Wiltshire. This can then be used to safely store and manage the loan of objects to other musuems/provide access for study.

One of the really nice things about this, is that the digitised records are all being made available online, and the Omega Marine Chronometer you mentioned is there, with a photograph, so has been re-catalogued under this project :

https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...mega-marine-chronometer-1950-1976-chronometer

Which sits in the "Time Measurement" category: https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/categories/time-measurement?page[number]=1

Which has 1,749 objects in. :whistling:

You can see the chronometers on display (and where they are), by tweaking the search: https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/museum/science-museum?q=chronometer

And to pull this back from some huge thread drift to the subject of the thread, they have 2.376 objects tagged with the word "aircraft": https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search?q=aircraft

A fun toy to go play with :thumbsup:

Longbow, Jones in LA and Omegafanman like this.
  8. Omegafanman Feb 2, 2022

That looks like a flying bedstead which helped develop the VTOL aircraft concept made famous by the Harrier.
    I am not sure if Bell used any feedback for the Lunar lander training. Very brave to go up in one of those / poor glide characteristics...... Based on the recent F35 carrier crashes maybe they should go back to the drawing board ...although the press has not linked them in anyway so probably just coincidence.

DC67FB34-426C-4E14-ABBA-FAD7BC083E45.png
    Dug, Longbow and Jones in LA like this.
  9. Jones in LA Not in LA anymore. Feb 2, 2022

Just made it back to KBUR before sunset, following my first flight lesson yesterday. Flying in the busy L.A. airspace is not for the faint of heart.

IMG_2030_edited2.jpg

Dug, Flysatchmo, 64Wing and 8 others like this.
  10. DoctorEvil Feb 2, 2022

Great pic!
    I'm guessing that you're flying in controlled airspace? I remember my first time venturing into controlled airspace in a light aircraft during my flight training. Found it a bit intimidating as my instructor was constantly reminding me to fly accurately and to make sure my procedural and radio telephony work was spot on. Didn't want to say or do anything wrong! And yes, having to keep a constant lookout for other aircraft was a bit scary too.

Jones in LA likes this.
  11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 2, 2022

12. 64Wing Feb 4, 2022

I made dis IMG_20220202_170646_006.jpg

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 7, 2022

Just letting them know that "I'm watching you".

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 10.50.50.png

There's been a significant increase in daily SIGINT/ELINT flights in the Black Sea over the last three months or so, usually carried out by RAF and USAF Boeing RC-135s based in Cyprus, England and Germany.

First time I've seen a Global Hawk though.

14. DoctorEvil Feb 7, 2022

Amazing that a flight tracking app/website can track military aircraft. Whatever happened to OPSEC?

Omegafanman likes this.
  15. Omegafanman Feb 7, 2022

I think they are just sending a message ...... apparently from the BBC last week Russia is now 70% ready to invade and just need freezing weather...... according to an unnamed source in American military.....
    The first casualty of war is truth and we are at war with everything these days ;0)

DoctorEvil likes this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 7, 2022

Exactly.

They want to be tracked at the moment.
    You can bet that as soon as the shit hits the fan all military ADSB/MLAT transponders will go quiet.

DoctorEvil and Omegafanman like this.
  17. Omegafanman Feb 10, 2022

There are rumours 59 year old Tom Cruise only did the Maverick film as pulling 9G was cheaper than Botox.....

Joking aside his daredevil exploits are impressive given his age.

0FF78546-207B-4E7C-939E-B07FD1496D77.jpeg
    Edited Feb 10, 2022
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 10, 2022

9G?

With two pylons each with a MER loaded with LGMs? (although inert training rounds).

The wings would have folded at 6G under that load.
    But hey.......that's movies for you.

(Buzz in the track of a C130 flying over to the sound of twin P&W radials ;))

Omegafanman likes this.
  19. DoctorEvil Feb 13, 2022

Some of these might apply to watches as well... :D
    FB_IMG_1644734589132.jpg
    Courtesy of Avgeekery.com via Facebook.

Twocats, Alpha, Dug and 3 others like this.
  20. MRC Feb 15, 2022

Gone from the skies 40 years ago :(

Laker_Airways_DC-10-10.jpg
    Eduard Marmet - http://www.airliners.net/photo/Laker-Airways-Skytrain/McDonnell-Douglas-DC-10-10/0106065

Freddie Laker's Skytrain trans-Atlantic service. I used it a lot in the late 1970s while based in New Jersey working for a British company. Could do a full day's work in NJ, drive to JFK, hand over $100, get a night's sleep and be turfed off at 10 UK time the next morning. Coming back was a little trickier requiring an overnight at Gatwick for the 11 am departure or braving a 5 am start with the frequent risk of chaos at the Dartford Tunnel crossing of the Thames. Only sixty quid to pay with arrival at JFK early afternoon. Least jet-lag problems I've ever had. There's an article in the latest Aeroplane magazine about Freddie's efforts to get it going, but very little detail of the work of the full-price airlines to get it shut down.

crl848 and Omegafanman like this.