Forums Latest Members

The Automatic - 1940s model no 28343

1. Carlton-Browne Jun 18, 2020

Most of us will be familiar with the advert that promotes (and more importantly identifies) the Outdoorsman. Alongside there is a model called The Automatic and whilst a recent arrival clearly isn't the same reference as the one in the advert, it at least indicates that there were automatics in the range that predate the cal.138 models; Polarouters et al.

[​IMG]

The dial is original and clearly the hour & minute hands are a known combination from this era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The serial puts it in or around 1945. I'm curious that it has an unsigned movement that, from my research, is an AS 1171. Interestingly Ranfft has that as a re-design of the Harwood.
    [​IMG]

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&AS_1171

[​IMG]

Given that there are earlier automatics (e.g Valjoux72's Colonial) with signed movements I find it odd that this one isn't and it's the detail I'm least happy about. The caseback looks to have been designed to accommodate the profile of the oscillating weight - would UG have used the 1171 (or a version of it) and could this has been replaced during a subsequent repair or service or would they have used an unsigned calibre? Does anybody know of any other examples of The Automatic?

.[​IMG]

I've generally not been much of a fan of red seconds hands but the shape of this one is really growing on me; I've no idea if it's original or not but I'm not going to change it. I've taken some Polywatch to the crystal since these photos were taken and I'll take another dial photo but it's still going to need a new one.

[​IMG]
    I'm pleased to say that I paid $10.50 less than the original RRP :).

If anybody has any data on early 3-hander automatics, please share.

2. WhereMadnessLies Aug 2, 2021

I recently picked up a 28343 (unfortunately mine was more than the original RRP :D)

IMG_20210802_120918.jpg
    IMG_20210802_120936.jpg

I suspect the hands have been relumed at some point due to the different colour compared with the dial. Both that dial and hands do react to UV though. Interestingly, my example has a different red seconds hand compared to yours @Carlton-Browne. Not sure who's is original or if both are replacements? The counter weight on mine is similar to the chronographs of the period.

Edited Aug 2, 2021
    Carlton-Browne, Woops, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  3. bgrisso Aug 2, 2021

beautiful! What’s the case size? I vote for original lume on the hands. Not sure about seconds hand, needs research.

4. WhereMadnessLies Aug 2, 2021

Yes, it is quite a nice looking watch :).

The case is 32.5mm in diameter (34.5 if you include the crown), 17mm lugs, 11.4mm thick and 39.5 lug to lug.

Like you, I'm not sure on either of the seconds hands.

5. Carlton-Browne Aug 3, 2021

Fantastic! We've doubled the dataset on these in 13 months - good work. I like the second hand on yours and, if I had to rate them, I think yours wins. I don't suppose you can manage a movement shot to see of it is signed?

Also I'm inclined to think that the lume on yours is pukka. I have this other 3 hander and I'd say the colouring is consistent.

[​IMG]

6. Carlton-Browne Aug 3, 2021

and 4 digits between serial numbers :cool:.

7. WhereMadnessLies Aug 3, 2021

This is the movement photo provided by the seller. I haven't tried to open up the case back yet. I'm going to let the watchmaker work his magic on it first even though it does currently run.

i-img1198x1198-16254835644qio7w639.jpg

Haha oh yeah, nice :cool:

8. Carlton-Browne Aug 3, 2021

Same movement with same 450 marking - so probably original and unsigned then.

valjoux72 and WhereMadnessLies like this.
  9. WhereMadnessLies Aug 3, 2021

Yes, I suspect so.

Carlton-Browne and valjoux72 like this.