Forums Latest Members
  1. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2013

I know I've shown this before (from "A Journey Through Time"), but this model was nicknamed the "Foibos":

[​IMG]

Here is my sibling:
    [​IMG]

Tire-comedon likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Aug 19, 2013

Me neither. That kind of patina is almost expected on that era's dials.

3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 19, 2013

I love this dial also. I'm still looking for one like that!

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2013

If I ever sell it, I'll give you first dibs! This is my first pre-war or war era watch, I will be ultra nervous until it is in my greasy fingers (having smeared my shabby clothes!).
    Tire, welcome to our pub!

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2013

Moderators, Alex claimed dibs while I was typing a dibs acknowledgement to Tire, ruling ,please?

Tire, I feel in my heart that Alex prevails, sorry. Besides it hasn't arrived yet, all sorts of evil ebay shenanigans can ensue. (Please don't email seller with offer he can't refuse!)

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. Hijak Aug 19, 2013

An Ian Anderson reference!:thumbsup:

7. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 19, 2013

Thanks to all of you for your welcome!

This one is definitively pre war. Looks complete, I suspect that the case number was re-engraved on the case back. Anyway, the dial is very nice and I love the alpha hands. Nice pick!

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2013

Just saw the old bird a few weeks ago, voice is shot but musicianship is better than ever!

Hijak likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2013

Thanks, I had help, a fine gentleman named Warren (Spiki Spikester) from this forum.

10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 19, 2013

No harm if you give dibs to Alex. I should already have a quite similar one by the way.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I am not familiar with dibs. Could you explain what it is to me?

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2013

Dibs = A claiming of priority or "first-in-line" that is honored among gentlemen.
    Much of what we do here is governed by the "Gentlemen's Code". It usually works quite well.

tjdwhite likes this.
  12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 19, 2013

I'm more than happy with gentlemen rules. And I'm glad that the priority goes to Alex. It's a nice watch so I hope that you'll receive the watch in good order and enjoy it for long before you'll think about to whom you may let it go...

Hijak likes this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2013

Sir, you will do well here.

14. Mothra Aug 19, 2013

fantastic strap on the first one - do you happen to know what it is?

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 19, 2013

Welcome to you and your watches. Revolting screen name though...::puke::

16. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 19, 2013

Thanks a lot! I finally found on page 20 the ref for this T17.

[​IMG]

Mine is poorly redialed and it's a shame, but I still hope that some day I will find an original replacement one... Although I never found another of this type (even not a simple reference before I opened your link!)

17. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 19, 2013

That's the one I've been using for long on French watch forawithout trpuble. I sincerely hope I will not shock people here, that's not the purpose, it's just an old private joke.

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2013

In Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh, "dibs" also refers to the practice of holding a shoveled-out parking space after a heavy snowfall by putting chairs, laundry baskets, or other items in the street to mark the claimed space.[1][2]
    In Austria, the word "geschützt" is used, meaning "protected" (from others) or "kept" (for me). Especially in western Austria,the word "Meins" ("It's all mine!") is also used.
    In Argentina and Uruguay, the phrase "canté pri" ("pri" being short for "primero"), first one to ask for it, is used with this meaning by children.
    In Brazil, the words "primeiro", "primeirinho" ("the first one" or "the little first one" in Portuguese) "meu", and "minha" ("mine" in Portuguese) are used in the same way.
    In Colombia, the equivalent for dibs would be "me lo pido", which means "I ask for it".
    In Denmark, the equivalent for dibs is "Helle",[3] which means "refuge". "Shotgun"[citation needed] and "Dibs"[citation needed] are also used.
    In European Francophony, the word "prems" or "preums" (shortcut of "premier" which means "first") is commonly used for that. One might say "deuz" (shortcut of "deuxième" which means "second") to claim second on something, if someone has already claimed "preum". On the contrary, some people used to say "der" (short for "dernier", meaning "last". "Der" Comes from "dix de der", the last round of the "Belote" card game, which gave ten additional points to the winner of this last round.).
    In Germany, the equivalent for dibs is "Erster" (meaning "first one") or "meins" (meaning "it's mine").
    In Greece, the word "πρω" (pro), the first syllable of the word "πρώτος" (first), is used.
    In Guatemala, the equivalent for dibs is "Primas" or "Voy Primas", which means "I go first" in colloquial language.
    In Hungary, equivalents for dibs are "stipistop", "stip-stop" and "stipistopi". They come from the English word "stop".
    In Iceland, the equivalent for dibs is "Pant", short for "Ég panta", or "I order" in English. However, the word "Dibs" is used frequently in common speech, especially amongst young men.[citation needed]
    In Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia, the equivalent for dibs is "choup", "chop" or simply "chup" in the countries' respective informal Melayu language. The word corresponds to the act of stamping or branding something. In calling "chup", one stakes claim by attempting to be the first to "stamp" one's name on the object.
    In Tamil Nadu, India, the equivalent for dibs is "Amukkam" (meaning "thats frozen").
    In Iran, the equivalent for dibs is "Aval" (meaning "first").
    In Ireland , bagsie is normally used.
    In Israel, both dibs and shotgun are used as in American English. The Hebrew words "ראשון" (first) and "שלי" (mine) and the phrase "אני מזמין" (I order) are also used to call dibs, mostly by children.
    In Italy, the equivalent for dibs is "mio" or "primo", meaning "mine" and "first", respectively. On the contrary, "ultimo" (meaning "last", mainly used in children games as last to try or to choose).
    In Kosovo, the equivalent for dibs is "mos e prek - UCK" (meaning don't touch it - KLA), used after the war, meaning I have first claimed it and I am the toughest.
    In Albania, "e zura" (meaning "I occupied it").
    In South Korea, the equivalent for dibs is "찜" (zzim), meaning "I got that".
    In Mexico, the word "pido" (I ask) or "primis" (first) is commonly used by children to the same effect.
    In Netherlands the equivalent for dibs is "buut" (nowadays most commonly used during hide-and-seek to call someone who has been found 'out' at the base). Dibs is gaining ground in universities in the Netherlands due to the large number of students watching series.
    In Flanders, (Belgium) there is no direct translation, but "pot!" is sometimes used in the same way. "Dibs" is gaining popularity, especially among young people.
    In Nepal, the equivalent for dibs is "Mero" or "Mine" in English; short for "Tyo mero ho" or "This is mine" in English. This is commonly used among young people.
    In Norway the equivalent for dibs is "fus"[4] (a dialect not used in the West), which means "first". Sometimes the word "fritt", meaning "free", is also used in a situation where you want to claim something. "Dibs" is also used.
    In Peru the equivalent for dibs is "¡primi! (a diminutive for "primero") first one to ask for it, is used with this meaning by children.
    In Poland, the equivalent for dibs is "rezerwuję", "zaklepuję"/"zaklepane" (colloquial) or "zamawiam" (rather childish use) which means "I reserve".
    In Portugal, children say "primas", older people say "dibs". Some other words may be used depending in the region.
    In Quebec, the equivalent for dibs would be "Shotgun". Shotgun, often shortened to "shot", is also used in other parts of Canada for calling front passenger seat in a car, only while being in site of the vehicle.

I want the record for longest response to a question!

Tire-comedon likes this.
  19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 19, 2013

Cut and paste replies from wikipedia though shouldn't count in that category!

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 19, 2013

Oh, it will not shock - no one here (I think) is the wilting flower type. It is...ah...merely unappetizing.