Forums Latest Members

The (Almost) Heartbreaking Story of My Newly-Aquired Speedy (with Pics)

1. ffej4 Survey Man May 28, 2015

After weeks of waiting, my 3594.50 finally got here. I decided to take it into my local watchmaker today, just hours after receiving it, to have him install an OEM black bezel and a Custom Watch Concepts sapphire back.

A few hours later, while I was at work, I got a call to inform me that the work was completed. Desperate to see the new mods, I had my brother go and pick it up for me while I was at work.

Upon my arrival home, he informed me that he dropped the watch and all of the accessories onto the pavement whilst getting out of his car. I have literally never been closer to crapping my pants.

I frantically inspected the watch, mostly to find a small – but harsh – ding under the 7 o'clock lug. There were also a few light scratches on the crystal.

I have been watching the time and testing the chronograph features for the last couple of hours and everything is working fine. It is winding smoothly, has not gained or lost a second, and there are no odd/rattly sounds when I gently shake the watch. The bracelet, unfortunately, did suffer a couple small dings on the clasp, but other than that, it is in surprisingly good shape. I will be taking it to my watchmaker tomorrow to have him inspect it, just to make sure I have not overlooked something.

With all of this said, I am very happy with my new Speedy and will be ordering some alpha hands to install in the very near future (which my brother has agreed to pay for in order to make up for the light damage that took place during the fall).

I guess this will be a funny story to tell in the future about this watch. Hopefully I end up keeping this one.

P.S. If there's anything you guys strongly recommend I should check/test due to the fall, please do tell. I've done what I can given my knowledge about watches, and I can see no major issues. Photo May 28, 9 28 29 PM.jpg Photo May 28, 9 28 47 PM.jpg Photo May 28, 9 29 01 PM.jpg

2. devnull May 28, 2015

It is commendable how you don't mention that you back handed your brother for doing that.

travisrock and ffej4 like this.
  3. alfanator May 28, 2015

It could go to the moon and back, it will be fine making a trip to the asphalt.

Looks cool with the black bezel. Why switch to Alpha hands?

DLT222 and travisrock like this.
  4. ELV web May 29, 2015

the watch is yours, and there is an additional story to it, as long as you are not OCP, it should be fine man, nice watch by the way, first time I ever said that to a speedy in fact :p

ffej4 likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 29, 2015

Nearly crapped your pants because of that?

Wait until a huntsman drops from the sun visor into your lap at 120 kph, that's real brown corduroys time :eek:

Glad to hear all is OK though, the're a tough watch and deserve a few battle scars.

When you reconcile with your brother in a few years time I'm sure you'll both chuckle at the episode and his trip to ER.

travisrock and ffej4 like this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 29, 2015

Or drop bears. Don't forget the drop bears
    [​IMG]

ffej4 and NT931 like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 29, 2015

Drop Bears are actually @STANDY s fault for letting in a genetic mutation that turned kola bars into killa bears.

None around my area than God, snakes got them all.

8. ffej4 Survey Man May 29, 2015

Very good point!

And a few reasons on the hands:

1) I love the broad arrow, but visibility is pretty bad due to reflectiveness, and the hour hand covers up about 70% of a sub register when it's over one.

2) They're my favorite-looking hands. I'll probably put white "stick" sub register hands on, then the alpha hands with the white second hand from the FOIS

3) I want something unique and different.

And good point on the moon! I'm taking her in today to have a quick checkup to insure that the lug damage is truly the only damage!

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 29, 2015

Sorry to hear this. How long will it be before your brother can stop eating through a straw?

ffej4, travisrock and AAAKK like this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 29, 2015

Do you love your brother? Do you?

What I don't understand is why get a 3594.50 and then change the bezel when it is actually one of the distinctive features of that model. Why not just get another model? That said looks good and i'm sure a little fall will not affect the functioning of it. With these watches it's more about whether YOU can handle the fall.

Sam e with the hands...

But I get you are building your own personal watch and I suppose that's fine. Just doesn't seem you'll en up with something much different from your standard Moon Pro

STANDY and ffej4 like this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 29, 2015

or a FOIS... which is a nice watch in it's own right. it's at the top of the secondary list in fact for me.

ffej4 and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. ffej4 Survey Man May 29, 2015

I just want a Speedy unique to me. And I got a KILLER deal on this 3594!

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2015

@JimInOz Kola bars ! ? Sounds like a cheap fake knock off that they missed the spelling :whistling:

ffej4 likes this.