Forums Latest Members

That time Tissot decided to kill the APRO homage market: a review of the Tissot PRX 2021 (quartz)

1. connieseamaster Mar 21, 2021

Like many of us here, I am a fan of the design aesthetic of Gerald Genta - the geometric shapes, alternating finishes, integrated bracelets, simple dials, etc. I've been low key hunting for a reasonably sized, cheap(ish) white dial integrated bracelet watch to serve as a "grab and go" type deal that had a lot of characteristics of a Genta watch design. The run of the mill APRO homages don't really do it for me because I'm not a fan of the windowpane/hobnail/whatever dials that AP likes. I generally liked the Oysterquartz, but that doesn't exactly fall into the realm of "cheap(ish)" for my millennial budget.

Enter Tissot's announcement of the PRX. Looks a lot like an Oysterquartz, made by a reputable brand, and generally in the realm of what I'm willing to pay for a fashion accessory. In mid-February, Amazon somehow had them on pre-order for $250 so I bit and prepared to wait the 4 weeks as predicted so I could open it on my birthday. Well, it arrived 3 weeks early and sat in a closet until I opened it up this week.

For MSRP of $375+tax, it's a solid watch. For the price I paid ($263 inclusive of tax), it's a downright steal. The bracelet is well constructed, finished on all edges and surfaces, and articulates fully past the first link. The case is an excellent mix of brushed and polished surfaces and the dial is clean, readable, and interesting. The contrast of the rose gold hands and markers give it an extra touch of contrast that would be missing if Tissot had gone with polished silver. The dial on my version is brushed silver that tends to go matte rather than shiny. The quartz movement is on point (literally) and the overall thinness of the case lets it wrap around my wrist like a good bracelet.

Size: 40mm out to out (exclusive of the crown), 52mm from articulating link to articulating link, slightly over 10mm thick

IMG_20210321_175531497.jpg IMG_20210321_175538785.jpg IMG_20210321_175552391.jpg IMG_20210321_175615944.jpg

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 21, 2021

Attractive period styling.

Sure wish Tissot and some other brands would lose the year marking. Makes otherwise nice watches appear to be trying too hard to belong.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. TimeODanaos Mar 21, 2021

Good review, thanks. :thumbsup: And for the money, can't disagree with you.

Edited Mar 24, 2021
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 21, 2021

Totally agree, I mean Invicta puts 1837 on some of their dials to convince people they’re old (they’re not, its an old name that was bought and re-cycled). That’s not the company Tissot, an actual good watchmaker with a proud history, should be aiming to be in.

5. Aldayo Mar 24, 2021

Thank you for the review and information. Been looking into this on the blue dial. Probably gonna pull the trigger soon. If only there weren’t so many other watches LOL

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal Mar 24, 2021

That’s a nice throwback for them in keeping with their own 70’s style- way to go Tissot! And even at MSRP, it’s a nice value/quality watch from a big brand. Sadly, the buying public would see a retro Michael Kors next to this at the same price and think the MK is the higher end watch::facepalm2::

7. connieseamaster Mar 24, 2021

Maybe. I think this will probably do well in the "mall watch" segment...once people are back shopping in person that is :rolleyes:

8. Traveler Mar 24, 2021

I would keep ‘1853’ if I could erase ‘PRX’ ... what is that ? Only a detriment IMHO...