Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaRookie Jan 9, 2020

A few weeks ago, my 84 year old mother handed me a plastic container full of watch bits and pieces. She said it came from my grandmother’s house. I posted on this forum two vintage watches that ran when I wound them. I know nothing about vintage watches except for the little bit I’ve learned on here.
    Canuck from this forum was kind enough to pass on all he knew about the watches. He then did a service and refurbish of the dial on the Elgin that was in the box of parts. I’m very pleased with the results and I can’t wait to show it to my mother. I’m about 90% sure it was my grandfather’s watch. I don’t remember him wearing it but I’m sure it was his. I’m afraid it looks pretty small compared to the watches of today but I still think it’s pretty cool.

Thank-you Canuck for pleasing a fellow Canadian and his 84 year old mom! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

‘The before:
    51607474-A179-4717-9B95-753EF7E382F6.jpeg

And the after:

72CE1FC0-4C2F-4948-B05B-E99A6D7FD11A.jpeg

2. wagudc Jan 9, 2020

It is great when someone like @Canuck has the skills and patience to restore a piece of family history, and for someone like you to appreciate it. He his pretty good at REBUS puzzles too!

noelekal and OmegaRookie like this.
  3. Canuck Jan 9, 2020

I regret I wasn’t able to bring the dial back to its former glory. It had been WET, and the lacquer lifted. Someone had SANDED OFF some of the rust and the loose lacquer, and didn’t improve the look one iota. I did what I could with what was left, and gave it a shot of clear coat. Clean and re-paint the rusted hands. Crystal, gasket, clean it, fit a bracelet, two new spring bars. This watch should not see daily driver duty, but it will be fun to have for casual wear. Enjoy!