Forums Latest Members

Testing Out A New Photography Toy

1. WatchVaultNYC Apr 4, 2017

Excuse the poor lighting. My first try with this gizmo

export.gif
    Foo2rama, Blacklidge, levkov and 10 others like this.
  2. jose75 Apr 4, 2017

Nice..;)

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Apr 4, 2017

theres also a version where you can manually spin, but cant embed it here

4. alam Apr 4, 2017

I enjoyed getting dizzy..can we increase the speed? I'm hooked now... :taunt:

5. repoman Apr 4, 2017

You are getting sleepy...
    Deeper and deeper.....

Cool photo though, I like it.

6. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 4, 2017

Is this all part of the Amazon sales preparation? This feature really is great for a 360 view of the watch.

IMHO it could maybe even be slowed down a bit for closer examination of the piece.

7. WatchVaultNYC Apr 4, 2017

Peripherally related - its a software-controlled photography turntable. Basically you place a widget on a turntable and it automatically takes 24-48 photographs and stitches them together into an Mpeg 4 or an animated GIF. There is also a proprietary output where you can manually spin the object around to get your closer examination. I did a 2nd test of that here

Amazon will take the the MPG4 output. The GIF can be for forums and such, but the files are huge if you want rotation thats 48 frames (like the one on the original post - its almost 10 megs. Rule of thumb is to never make your buyers wait for images to load, so that's probably a non-starter.

Edited Apr 4, 2017
    neilfrancis, ahartfie and Jwit like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 5, 2017

Think that's the point of the fast spin, so you miss the :whistling::whistling:

9. WatchVaultNYC Apr 5, 2017

There is a version of this that you can do a manual spin. Check the link on my previous post. The resolution though is only 640x640, which is a limitation of the software. Its not going to replace taking large pictures, but its a helpful supplement IMHO

10. alohatime Apr 5, 2017

A gif is worth a thousand pictures !

11. WatchVaultNYC Apr 5, 2017

Heres test #2 as a GIF

sm300 cropped.gif
    jcs2000, Jwit, ahartfie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Greatoldone Apr 5, 2017

That's running a bit fast, IMHO. :cool:

13. levkov Apr 13, 2017

Hmm.. that's a great option to consider, thanks for sharing!
    However, the low res is a bit offputting, but then, like mentioned, high res would be too large size to handle comfortably..
    Not bragging, but having reached my watch photography limits, I'm now experiencing with a similar rotating table, only with shooting "plain" HD video (the output might look plain, but not the way getting there!).
    Full frame DSLR ticked, rotating table ticked, a suitable lens is the next on the list, and a DIY frame that let's you have a 360 view around with no c-clips covering the back.. will post here when I'd experienced the taste of the lightest success the 1st time :)
    It's great to see there are others out there experiencing with new methods :)