Tarnish On Gold Bezel

So I pulled out my 1956 Seamaster 2761 this morning and was surprised to see that a bluish-green tarnish had developed on the bezel - and ONLY on the bezel. The watch case is gold capped. I’m not sure whether the bezel is gold capped or solid gold, but probably the latter. Has anyone ever seen this on a gold capped watch? And what’s the safest way to clean off the tarnish without damaging the finish on the watch? Cape Cod cloth maybe? Looking forward to the collective OF wisdom on this. Thanks!
IMG_6164.jpeg

Is the bezel solid gold? The type of tarnish is reflective of the other metals making up the gold alloy so if the bezel is sold and the watch case capped, this wouldn’t be too unexpected.
Cape Cod, Town Talk or any cleaning cloth should have this off very quickly without touching the lines.

Thanks. I’m pretty sure that the bezel is solid gold which may explain why only the bezel is tarnishing. The gold capped lugs and case look just fine.

Personally I like the tarnish. Much more common to see this on rose gold, due to its copper content.

Personally I like the tarnish. Much more common to see this on rose gold, due to its copper content.

Likewise! Got a pic from the top for us Greg, before you clean it? Wondering how this would look in contrast to the YG lugs.

I use a simple gold cleaning/polishing cloth and gently wipe them down. The ones in the red containers with the pink and white sides.

This happens on my gold cap EternaMatic bezel which I believe to be gold, but not on the lugs. I use a simple soft silver cloth which seems to do the trick without any damage to the finish.

I never could see the beauty in wearing tarnished gold, a quick treatment with any of the aforementioned cloths will clean it up quickly.

Ok, here’s a pic for the tarnish fans (you guys have issues by the way 😁).
IMG_6167.jpeg

Oh, I love it. About the color @X350 XJR s and my lips will have once were done with a couple bottles of red. 😁

I hate the tarnish, but just look at that PERFECT honeycomb dial and hand set. Even the radium lume dots are all there. From 1956! 🥰🥰🥰

I must confess I am in the camp of tarnish lovers - I would never remove this patina which has developed over several decades.
Once removed I guess it will need more time to rebuild than your timespan left (except you are a youngster in your 30ies).

IMHO In terms of patinas, it depends on each person's taste.

With a light polish it will disappear.

Last summer, an older lady who is a friend of my family came to see me to see if I could remove tarnish from a gold-plated watch that she really loved but that she didn't wear for that reason.
In that case the tarnish was quite massive, but with a light polish it served to rescue the tone of the gold plating again. There will be people who would have preferred to leave that patina, I simply dedicated myself to trying to fulfill this lady's wishes. She actually became very happy when she saw the watch again. Cheers !
Captura de pantalla (1264).png Captura de pantalla (1275).png
Captura de pantalla (1265).png Captura de pantalla (1270).png
Captura de pantalla (1266).png Captura de pantalla (1274).png
Edited:

I kinda like the tarnish but, from experience…light touch and broad motions using the CC Cloth. Don’t tunnel in on one spot. Keep her movin. They work wonders but are dangerous.

I kinda like the tarnish but, from experience…light touch and broad motions using the CC Cloth. Don’t tunnel in on one spot. Keep her movin. They work wonders but are dangerous.
Yes, I find the CC to be a bit too aggressive.
I've found the Town Talk Gold cloth is perfect for a light polish to remove tarnish on some of my gold watches, some I just leave as I don't mind the patina.

Yes, I find the CC to be a bit too aggressive.
I've found the Town Talk Gold cloth is perfect for a light polish to remove tarnish on some of my gold watches, some I just leave as I don't mind the patina.
Me too, I like patinated gold.

Got any recommendations for a rose gold capped that is heavily tarnished?

A bit longer to get to Teerapat level but im in the tarnish camp
IMG_8635.jpeg

I must confess I am in the camp of tarnish lovers - I would never remove this patina which has developed over several decades.
Same here, also team tarnish. They way it naturally occurred is wonderful IMO.