Forums Latest Members
  1. skipper Jan 26, 2019

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the above coloured racing/rally/suede straps? I know traditionally these were always black (racing), so would it be sacrilege to put a tan or cognac coloured racing strap on my 105.003???!!!

I realise that strap style / colour are very personal, but since I'll be going for a decent quality strap; Bulang, B&R etc, just buying loads of different colours in the hope one will look OK, isn't really an option (wallet wise), hence I'm genuinely interested to hear the thoughts of those of you that have gone with a variation of 'light brown/tan' or even blue on your vintage watches. Was it a success, or did you just think after a while that you should have just gone with black? Any pics of your vintage pieces, particularly Speedmaster, with these colour/style of strap would be greatly appreciated too. I already have bracelets and Nato's for this watch, so just wanted something a bit different to give me another 'look'.

My example has quite a blue bezel colour, so I was thinking something like this might look quite nice...

[​IMG]

Or, as suede straps go, something like this...

[​IMG]

Or maybe a blue suede to really shock...!!!

[​IMG]

Here is the bezel colour for reference.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 26, 2019

I like the 1st one.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2019

Vitezi and skipper like this.
  4. queriver Jan 26, 2019

I like your first image but you can't really go wrong with any of your ideas. Well, blue's a bit more out there, probably not for me but for a blue bezel it might work.

Below is a JPM racing strap with orange stitching to go with the dial. For a black dial Speedmaster I'd go with a stitch colour to match the lume.

IMG_E2716 - OF.JPG

The cognac strap below is not mine but I downloaded it because I like the strap colour and one day I'll get something like it. The black stitching works well because the strap colour is a bit dark and there's not too much contrast.

Cognac Racing Strap.jpg

skipper likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2019

skipper likes this.
  6. Vitezi Jan 26, 2019

Choose a color in the watch dial that draws your eye, and then select a matching strap color. The strap color will help to accentuate the same color in the dial. This is a trick that interior designers often use when selecting a paint color for a room.

If you want to highlight the blue bezel, try to find a blue strap of a similar shade. If you want to highlight that lovely sand-colored lume, try a beige colored strap. @queriver has the right idea, choosing an orange strap to coordinate with the orange dial markers.

marco likes this.
  7. Mac5 Jan 26, 2019

+1 on the first strap.

8. skipper Jan 26, 2019

Thanks for all your thoughts so far, and pics! Some good points there about what to consider when matching strap to watch. I think I'm almost sold on the malt/cognac colour now just have to decide on racing or solid and detail points like stitching.

9. Cipolla Jan 26, 2019

The first one, matches the age of the watch best.

10. Donn Chambers Jan 26, 2019

I prefer tan, or golden brown, straps on my Speedy FOIS — see my avatar picture. I have several light and chocolate brown rally straps I swap out as well. I think any of the options you posted look great.

skipper likes this.
  11. southtexas Jan 26, 2019

For the speed master i like the first one (brown leather racing). Where’d ya get the blue suede one? My buddy needs it for his Nina.

12. skipper Jan 26, 2019

I don't own the blue suede one (yet...), it's on bandrbands website. GLC have some nice blue suede bands too in 19mm, guess it depends which side of the pond you are.