Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

Went to SWISS TIME SERVICES this afternoon after work. It's literally 10 minutes from my house!! Great place.
    They have some cabinets of über rare pieces including a pristine 1930's marine. I asked if it was for sale, but it was from the owners private collection!

Took my 353 Waffle Seamaster..Just because I was wearing it..I wanted to get an estimate for their services...I have to say it was rather more expensive that I had anticipated..to most of you guys its probably normal but I was a bit shocked to be honest..

Although to be fair they do replace the crown and crystal with genuine omega parts and also polish the case a little. And strip the whole mechanism..So, I guess you're in safe hands..

The gentleman opened my watch to estimate and said the screws were still shiny and bumper rotor was straight and didn't have any wobble which was good. Apparently. It was just a little dirty..

Luckily it doesn't really need a service!

:rolleyes:

Here's the estimate:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357576460.631436.jpg

Not far off the price of the watch!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

and naturally we are talking

POUND sign.gif
    :D

3. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

Yup! 350 Sterling! I remained composed

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

to this guy that is not normal if it's in pounds.

5. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

I know, right?! For that I'd expect them to replace the movement or add a few diamonds to the dial..But they did offer me tea..How very English.. ;)

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

This is more comparable to Omega's prices than it would be to an independent. I would think GBP100 to 150, ought to be enough to get the job done, even with the UK's 20+% VAT.

gatorcpa

7. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

I HATE this VAT...It stings me every time ;)

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

That's their standard charge for a vintage service. It is pricey, but depends what you want. Personally, I'd wait until it definitely needs it.

Standard service for a modern watch is £260 inc VAT. I must say their customer service is great though. There was a problem with my Seamaster GMT after its last service & they sorted it out as well as giving me discounted prices on 2 other services and helping out with a free link for an old bracelet on another watch.

By the way, did you see the soccer timers in the display cabinet ? They have a really nice one with the 3 coloured GMT roulette wheel. I daren't ask what they think its worth though !

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

They're up-scaling their service :D

Dablitzer likes this.
  10. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

Thinking of sending some of mine to Christian the watch guy..

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

They ARE the Omega prices. STS is the UK Omega service centre & apparently they deal with 15,000 Omega's a year. They are also the official UK Ebel service centre.

Leona and Dablitzer like this.
  12. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

Yes, and it's all about the dynamics of a place..badoom-Ching! ;)

13. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

So send all of your watches to me first and ill 'drop' them off for ya...*hehe*

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

Duh...this dumb Yank didn't know about that! :confused:
    gatorcpa

15. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

Don't be too hard on ye self...It's not the most class joint in town..but it does the trick! Great if you wanna read through copious amounts of Omega material..journey through time..1001 watches..omega designs..I literally got my education in half an hour!

16. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

Did I mention they have tea? :-B

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2013

Well you still know a lot more than most of us :)

I think a few forum members in the UK regularly use STS.

Dablitzer likes this.
  18. Dablitzer Jan 7, 2013

19. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2013

They should serve hard liquor. It would ease the shock.

PhilipJ, JohnSteed and Dablitzer like this.
  20. Dash1 Jan 8, 2013

I've used them quite a few times and so far have always been impressed.
    I have tried plenty of independent services at around £150 stirling but they don't include new crystal, seals, pushers, crown and case refinish (if wanted) and they don't always guarantee their work for 2 years or its watertightness to original spec. All of which STS do. They also understand vintage Omegas and will do as little or as much work as you require.
    I would also guess that having your Omega serviced by Omega agents STS might increase the value of your watch slightly, whereas a non Omega service will make little difference.

albertob likes this.