Forums Latest Members

Survey Man checking in: do you prefer 0mm taper, 2mm taper, or a 4mm taper on your bracelets/straps?

1. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 1, 2017

Hey all,

I'm here to assess people's opinions once again. I was thinking the other day, "why do brands like Omega regularly use 2mm-tapered bracelets (or so it seems), and companies like Rolex invariably use 4mm tapers?" To my knowledge...

– The majority of popular Omega models have 20-18mm bracelets
    – The majority of Tudor models have either 22-20mm or 20-18mm bracelets
    – Basically every full-size Rolex has a 20-16mm bracelet

Is it just a brand thing? I, for one, loved the 1498 20-16mm Speedy bracelet that was used from like '96 – '99. I also really dig the look of the 1171 with its taper and how basic it is.

What do you guys prefer in terms of taper, and why? What are your all-time favorite bracelets?

Edit:
    I should say I know that Omega and Tudor have some models with different tapering (like the SMPc has a 0mm taper), my numbers above are just based off of my best guess as to what the "average taper" of the three brands are.

1498.jpg SMP.jpg Sub.jpg BlackBay.jpg

Edited Mar 1, 2017
  2. akshayluc420 Mar 1, 2017

Personally, I don't prefer a tapering bracelet. Though it may sound silly, I feel that non-tapered bracelets are more durable ::shy::

3. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 1, 2017

May I ask why you feel they're more durable?

4. redpcar Mar 1, 2017

36 to 40mm watches, I like 2 to 4mm taper. Makes the watch head the center of attention. 40+mm watches, I don't care if there is taper or not.
    In my opinion durability is more reliant on the quality of the spring bars than the bracelet ;)

Jwit, George.A and ffej4 like this.
  5. Greatpa Mar 1, 2017

I do not own one but the 20-16mm bracelet look seems more elegant. The 4mm difference is for the person who would like a bracelet on a relatively big watch, and still feel comfortable. The 20-20mm feels more robust and solid IMO. It draws more attention TO the bracelet FROM the watch, and gives the wrist a rough look. 20-18mm is, well, in between the two ;)

George.A and ffej4 like this.
  6. akshayluc420 Mar 1, 2017

I think its psychological to be honest, just knowing that there is more metal there implies strength and robustness. I feel that when there is a taper, there is more lateral flex. Again, there may be no real truth to it, it's just how I feel. :p

Speedy2254 and ffej4 like this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 1, 2017

My favorite bracelet - the modern Rolex Oyster with solid endlinks & glidelock clasp, standard on the SubC. :thumbsup:

8. adi4 Mar 1, 2017

How about a 3mm taper for the Grand Seiko fans? ;)

For me it depends entirely on the watch size and bracelet design though between 2mm and 4mm. I usually don't like bracelets that don't taper at all though.

Foo2rama and ffej4 like this.
  9. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 1, 2017

I'm with you there. I think I prefer 20–16mm, and I'm not entirely sure why. But I loved that 1498 Speedy bracelet more than any other Omega bracelet in the past. If the Aqua Terra bracelets had a 4mm taper and more of a utilitarian clasp, I think they'd be my favorite modern Omega bracelet due to the simple look.

adi4 likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 1, 2017

Depends on the watch size and how dressy it is. Dressy i.e. Lighter proportioned watches get more taper.

11. micampe Mar 1, 2017

I really, really, dislike non-tapered bracelets or straps, it's a deal breaker, they just looks like cheap shortcuts to me.

alam and Kmart like this.
  12. Maganator Mar 1, 2017

I don't like any taper on bracelets. Don't mind a 2mm on a dress strap but tapering is one of my pet-peeves.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2017

For me it is completely related to proportions. For example modern Rolex with wide lugs and tapered bracelets look so out of proportion to me, that I would be much happier with a "cheap shortcut" bracelet with no taper that was more in keeping with the watch it's on...

ffej4, Foo2rama and Maganator like this.
  14. Maganator Mar 1, 2017

I couldn't wear the original bracelet that came with my original MkII Speedmaster.

It felt ridiculous to me. Totally out of proportion.

15. micampe Mar 1, 2017

In that case (pun intended) my opinion is that the problem are the lugs :)

It's obviously personal style: the way I dress thicker bracelets look out of place. I actually just remembered that I do use the Omega shark mesh on the SM300 in the summer.

ffej4 likes this.
  16. Greatpa Mar 1, 2017

I somewhat agree. Have you seen the bracelet on the modern edition mkII though? Omega did a very good job with that IMO. Pin and screw solution all the way through, but still keeping it slim and tight. Thinking of getting one, just for the sake of the bracelet..
    I think it tapers 4mm, feel free to correct me I am wrong.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2017

I won't argue that, as the lugs are horrible on these IMO. But the fact is a non-tapered bracelet simply looks more in proportion to the case in many instances. The Deep Sea is another example, where the watch is huge and the tapered bracelet looks like it should be on a ladies watch in comparison to the case. As I said, it's all about the proportions, rather than some (rather odd to me) notion that one design is somehow cheaped out...but YMMV.

Cheers, Al

ffej4 and Foo2rama like this.
  18. yinzerniner Mar 1, 2017

In this case I believe there are two ways to look at preference - from an aesthetic standpoint, and a comfort one.

Aesthetically, as @Archer said the head design (case, bezel, dial, thickness, lugs, material, etc.) really determines the appropriate proportional taper of a matching bracelet. On some watches a non- to small-tapered bracelet looks blocky and unrefined, while conversely too much taper on a visually larger watch give the appearance of someone skipping leg day.

But in terms of comfort that's totally up to the end user. In my case 18mm straps/bracelets at the buckle/clasp end are usually the largest I will go, and prefer 16mm. The only exceptions are my two Omega mesh bracelets, which are sized 22-20 and 20-20.

There's really no wrong or right answer except wear what you want. But it's good to consider other's opinions even if they're opposite your own or nonsensical.

ffej4 likes this.
  19. omegaaddict Mar 1, 2017

I dislike the 4mm taper on my Rolex OP 39mm in my opinion makes the watch look slightly feminine

20. MaiLollo Mar 1, 2017

4mm, especially if the strap is 20-22 mm wide !

ffej4 likes this.