Forums Latest Members
  1. Habitant Nov 8, 2013

I just bought a nice little Surf watch, a women's size with a 48.5AF (ETA2761) in it, and then happened upon an identical looking model on eBay, but labelled Defy (both backs engraved Surf). I presume it's the man's version, as it has a different movement, an ETA 2832.

I have to admit that I can't afford the Rossler book at this moment, but I was wondering if anyone can give me a sense of the relative classification of these models. With a name like Surf, you'd kind of think that such a watch could stand being around water a bit, and Defy suggests similar derring-do. But both look distinctly dressy and urban. Not to mention 70s chunky.

But where did the Surf/Defy fit, relative to their line at the time? Defy has gone on to be a collectable range, but what of Surf?

_MDH9695.jpg

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 8, 2013

"Defy" was a model line. "Surf" was a water-resistance rating - less water resistant than "Sub Sea"... which was in turn less water resistant than "Super Sub Sea."

3. Habitant Nov 8, 2013

I guess I'll wait for the Submariner Super Sub Sea, then.

Thanks for the info. Any idea why the men's version would have been branded Defy and the (identical but in scale) women's wasn't? Mysteries of the universe, perhaps.

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 8, 2013

No idea why the woman's model isn't called Defy. The model name had its roots in one of George Favre-Jacot's original brands, "Defi" (along with Diogenes, Billodes, George Favre-Jacot and Zenith). The old name was modified to "Defy" and applied to a line of particularly water-resistant watches introduced in 1969, employing a special, in-house waterproofing technology. The first models were rugged, striking, rated to 300m, and equal-opportunity:

[​IMG]

Some were really shiny:

[​IMG]

Here are some of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this tragic melt-down...

[​IMG]

Later the name was attached to a variety of not-so-Defiant watches. By the late 70's, the term had lost all meaning. Here is a page entitled "Defy" from a 1978 catalog... none of these watches is actually a "Defy," as far as I can tell. (Pity the poor, lonely Espada, no doubt on clearance sale at this point.)

[​IMG]

The model name continued through the next couple of decades, and was applied to many of the most extreme Robo-Primero's of the Nataf era.

5. Habitant Nov 9, 2013

Thanks so much. I just bought a Defy Space – at least that's what I think the model is nicknamed. Yours looks in better nick. Nice collection. Sad to see the name run into the ground, eh? As to the melt down...sigh.