Forums Latest Members

Superb Vintage JLC – Fresh to Market for forum members!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 30, 2015

I have been very active acquiring watches in recent months, and am willing to let a few go as a result.

Here is a really superb vintage Jaeger LeCoultre from the 1950s, and probably as fine an example of the genre as you will be able to find.

It is fully original, and in excellent condition throughout, with only the smallest traces of use. The steel case is 34mm excluding the original, unsigned crown, and retains its original finish (note the contrast of the brushing and polishing). The caliber P478 is an absolute classic, and was used as the base for one of the finest hand-wind movements ever, the 478BWSbr used in JLC's own Geophysic. Follow this link for a comparison photo:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1224/gophysic21.jpg

The photos should answer most remaining questions, though please note that I and the watch are located in Lisbon, Portugal. That means that a European-based buyer should not incur taxes.

I am willing to ship either registered and insured post at my asking price, or FedEx for an additional $75.

My price is $SOLD!, and I will accept either Paypal (split fee) or bank transfer.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Cheers,

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 30, 2015
    marturx, tmw57, ELV web and 9 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 30, 2015

OHPF

Edited Aug 30, 2015
    Alex1974 and pcdubc like this.
  3. NT931 Aug 30, 2015

That was quick! Very elegant watch and glad it's going to a fellow forumer

pcdubc likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 30, 2015

Now sold!

Thanks E!

pcdubc likes this.
  5. Hijak Aug 30, 2015

You're not supposed to erase the sale price when sold, as per forum rules. Very curious what this sold for or what price you had in your ad. Beautiful watch, sorry I missed it!:(

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. Ko1892 Aug 30, 2015

No picture of the dial? Mistery watch!!

7. marturx Aug 30, 2015

Agree with the above said. If you use this free space to sell your watches, at least you can in return provide data back that can be used to judge the offering and the market

pcdubc likes this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 30, 2015

After the sale
    • Marking an item as "sold" in a followup post is fine, editing the price to $SOLD in your original post is not.
    • Never delete your photos, or remove details/pricing after your sale.

Spacefruit and pitpro like this.
  9. ELV web Aug 30, 2015

I was the buyer, the price listed was 1,450usd. I think Tony will also repost the pictures soon :) he was deleting it for buyer's privacy, so it was done out of good intention ;)

pcdubc likes this.
  10. ELV web Aug 30, 2015

And yes E stands for Eric :cool:

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 30, 2015

The asking price was $1450.

With regards to the photos, I'm sorry to say that I have increasingly found images showing up without permission on other sites, including instagram, etc. When I purchase a watch online, I ask the seller to remove the images from the server if possible. I now prefer to do that when I sell a watch, as a service to the new owner. I have asked the new owner (Eric) if he has any objections to the photos being re-posted, and he is OK with it.

If the moderators of this forum insist that photos of sold watches necessarily be kept visible, then at least in some cases I will have to reconsider using the venue. I like seeing images and prices of sold watches for reference as much as any collector, but have no objection whatsoever to buyers and/or sellers choosing to keep that information private once a deal has been consummated.

I do appreciate the opportunity to (infrequently) sell here, but it is not an imbalanced relationship, as I bring plenty of value to the forum with posts, and sharing knowledge gained over many years of collecting.

Regards,

Tony C.

ELV web likes this.
  12. tomvox1 Aug 30, 2015

I hear you on photo appropriation but maybe just keep one dial image for posterity? Hopefully the mods would be OK with that and that way stuff like the movement/case serials would not be visible ad infinitum.
    Just a thought and that is a helluva watch -- congrats to the new owner! :thumbsup:
    Best,
    T.

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 30, 2015

Good idea, Tom. I'd probably be up for a compromise of that sort.

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 30, 2015

@Tony C.

I most heartily agree - you're such a wonderful and knowledgeable contributor to OF, clearly the Sales Forum rules should not in any way, shape, or form apply to you!!

I hope - nay I hope AND pray - that the generous moderators will accede to your regal request to do as you please, so that the OF membership is not, in the future, deprived of the opportunity to consider your incredible sales offerings.

What an ::censored::.!

RawArcher likes this.
  15. ELV web Aug 30, 2015

I didn't buy it for myself though, it was a purchase on behalf of a friend looking for a dress watch.

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 30, 2015

Since my comments were apparently a bit too nuanced for you, I'll point out first that I was responding specifically to this:

" If you use this free space to sell your watches, at least you can in return provide data back that can be used to judge the offering and the market."

Secondly, I don't consider myself to be above the rules – I wasn't aware of them. At the same time, however, I feel quite comfortable disagreeing with them, and considering them when choosing whether or not to use the sales forum in the future.

17. marturx Aug 30, 2015

My comment aimed solely in using the Sales Forum.

I'm sure you have contributed much in the other parts in the forum. On the other hand I'm also sure you've learned some too. So in that sence things even out there

18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 30, 2015

Well, I look at it differently. The forum provides a free place to sell (like many other forums), and obviously also benefits from those who are active contributors.

I don't see any compelling reason why those who sell using such forums should be required to keep related information, notably images to which they own the rights, visible after a sale has been completed. Apparently the owners of the site prefer the rules that they have in place, for some reason.

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 30, 2015

You can always watermark the pictures before or after the sale. Not using this venue for sales will only make a difference to you, as the site doesn't charge any fees. (something we should ALL be extremely thankful for)

Willem023, Dogmann and marturx like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 30, 2015

There are other forums on the web that provide similar services and don't have the restrictions on editing after the fact, so I get Tony's point.

I also don't think that the rest of us are entitled to know the final price of a transaction that is private. So while the forum requires that there is an opening price in the listing and that the original listing should not be edited, there is no requirement to show the final sales price achieved after negotiations.

This sales forum is not intended to be a primary resource, any more than eBay or web pages from independent dealers.

On the other hand, unless pictures are registered with a government copyright office, I don't think they are eligible for legal protection. I'm not sure if simply taking a photo and posting it to this forum or a file sharing service (i.e. Photobucket) gives one any "rights" at all. I'm sure there is something to that effect in almost every web service agreement that one (digitally) signs before using them. It's like posting to Facebook or any other public area of the web. Once photos are out there you lose control of them. Ask any celebrity how that works.

There are ways to protect yourself when posting pictures on the web:

http://www.photoattorney.com/five-things-you-can-do-to-protect-your-online-images/

The reality is that it is quite difficult to do the things suggested on the above website when you are trying to sell a watch on this or any other similar forum. Sometimes the photos remain available on Google or other archiving services for months or years after being removed from normal servers.

My suggestion to any potential seller would be to post a couple of pictures here with a starting price and language that implies that serious potential purchasers may receive higher quality photos by e-mail or text messaging outside the forum.

I believe that's a fair compromise.
    gatorcpa

Willem023 likes this.