Super Fine Ref. 168.0056 Deluxe "Dog Leg" Constellation @ Phillips

This appears to be such an exceptional classic Constellation becoming available at the Phillips Geneva Watch Auction that I thought I should share it with the big dog Connie collectors on OF. This will be held in the President Hotel in Geneva on May 11-12 of this year and, like all or most Phillips auctions, it is very simple to register and bid online in real time.
Ref. 1680056 a.jpg
I have been following the Phillips auctions for awhile now and, though I am an Omega enthusiast, this is not a brand that generates much excitement with the typical Phillips client. Mostly they sell the obvious labels like PP, AP, and Rolex. Throw in some Mosers, L&S, FP Journe, and the occasional rare air hand made items---well you have their typical offerings. To see this really choice Constellation amongst the usual suspects gave me a warm and fuzzy.
Ref. 1680056 b.jpg Here is the link to the auction listing: https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/CH080224/93
It contains a cal. 561 and there are not any images of the movement. It may be possible to obtain movement shots by contacting Phillips.

Like 5
Thank you for posting @gmmy775 - very interesting to see this

White gold Constellations are pretty rare (other than C cases)
The dial with the sapphire indices is obviously a special order item - its probable, given the expense of the bejewelled furniture, that the dial will be white gold too (which would make it a 168.006 'deluxe').

As this is a dress watch, I'm surprised that the buyer didn't want a no-date version - although the 'wart' over the date smacks of someone who already owned a Rolex.
Also surprising that Omega didn't do something special with the hands (if they did this special in-house) as they appear to be standard black paint insert hands (which are heavily patinated)
- and, while there are no minute haches at the edge of the dial, the seconds hand looks very short for no apparent reason

Oddly enough, I suspect that the watch would have a far wider market if it didn't have the sapphire indices.

Like 3
Also surprising that Omega didn't do something special with the hands (if they did this special in-house) as they appear to be standard black paint insert hands (which are heavily patinated)
- and, while there are no minute haches at the edge of the dial, the seconds hand looks very short for no apparent reason

Not that I'm buying and not that it couldn't be sorted but yes, the hands do seem quite odd. Longer plain (no lume/paint) hands would be much more appropriate. And something about the dial says not a factory job to me.

Like 4
As this is a dress watch, I'm surprised that the buyer didn't want a no-date version -

Yes! But this BLUE is magnificent!

I like it a lot, a really sharp case, and the sapphire indices are really nice. Shame about the corrosion on the hands. It is hard to believe the hands are original to the watch. I suspect not.

I like watches with dates on them. I prefer watches with dates on them. I need watches with dates on them. That's why I still don't have a Moon Watch.

Like 1
I really like the sapphire indices but at that price point the date plus the magnifier is a deal killing combo for me..

Not that I'm buying and not that it couldn't be sorted but yes, the hands do seem quite odd. Longer plain (no lume/paint) hands would be much more appropriate. And something about the dial says not a factory job to me.
Leaning toward a non-factory job especially considering the lack of seconds indices on an Omega certified chronometer.

Leaning toward a non-factory job especially considering the lack of seconds indices on an Omega certified chronometer.

I have doubts about the dial being an Omega production too, due to the hands and unusual sapphire indices but there are numerous examples of Omega high end watches being produced without minute indices.

The movement being certified was not only a mark of accuracy but also a mark of their top of the range watches.

Like 1
It's a good day to not be a pie pan collector :)

What a beauty ...

It's a good day to not be a pie pan collector :)

What a beauty ...
To bad its not a pie pan then ;)

Haha, just realised my brain registers 14393 and the dog leg case all as "Pie Pan"s no matter the actual dial