Forums Latest Members
  1. Kwijibo May 2, 2016

Here's what I came across this week end. What do you think? IMAG0481.jpg

2. M'Bob May 2, 2016

Came across as in, "bought" I imagine? Has a 1039, need an end-piece, maybe two? Hands look wrong. Chrono hand doesn't match lume on dial. Bezel seems okay. Price dependent, of course. Others will chime in.

3. Kwijibo May 2, 2016

Of course I bought it! 1039/68 bracelet. both end pieces are present but one does not appear on picture. I wonder about the hands. they seem legit for a 145.012. Some advice? The bezel shoud be a DON. Am I right? I can't talk about the price...

4. M'Bob May 2, 2016

I don't think these are the correct hands for 145.012. Yes, DON bezel - the one on it is later.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 2, 2016

the hands do look a bit stubby at the ends, and maybe not quite long enough? not too hard to sort out though.

if it's a -69, the DNN bezel is OK, and this looks like the period correct one with dot beside 70.

Depending on price, could be a good pick up.

6. Davidt May 2, 2016

Looks like an applied logo dial, so it should have a DoN. Is it a 145.012-67? That would tie in the the bracelet being a 68.

The hands aren't correct but look like they've been on there some time. New hands could be aged to match.

oddboy likes this.
  7. Kwijibo May 2, 2016

Hi guys

I forgot to mention it was a 145.012-67. So yes it should be a DON. Concerning the hands, I already saw the stubby hands on some models. Can some expert give an opinion?

8. abrod520 May 2, 2016

Those hands look like Mark II hands, though I don't know if those would fit a 321? - we see lots of Speedmasters with them though since they fit the 861 for sure

9. Kwijibo May 2, 2016

Hi abrod, i was just wondering if these stubby hands were legit as I saw them sometimes one a 321. If they are wrong I cans catch some vintage thinner ones. I don't remember some stubbier hands on the Mark II.
    I agree that the markers are rather washed out but the dial has a wonderful black/brownish patina.

10. Davidt May 2, 2016

They're not legit

Optimizer13 likes this.
  11. Kwijibo May 2, 2016

I believe you. The thing is, I wonder on what model they initially were.

12. Davidt May 2, 2016

I think it was a mk Speedmaster, but not the mk2. I checked a while ago as I had the same query but can't remember exactly which model it was.

13. Kwijibo May 2, 2016

Thanks, anyway I'm going to have it serviced, One of the fixing screw is broken. I will pick up a pair of tritium hands.
    Patina on the dial :
    IMAG0484.jpg

glownyc and oddboy like this.
  14. ossfm May 2, 2016

The first picture made the lume on the hour markers look like something was growing on them. This second picture provides some more detail. Now it looks like maybe the lume is flaking away. Is that correct?

I've never handled one of these in person so I'm trying to learn from the pictures. Many times the pictures do make it look like there is some fungus. However, now I see that may not be the case.

Others say that the hands are incorrect. I see that the minute hand is too short (according to speedmaster101.com). It should reach essentially to the markers indicating 1/5 of a minute.

The hour hand also looks to me like it might be short. I say that by holding a ruler to the screen and comparing where the tip would fall. It seems that it should fall towards the top of the void inside the Applied Metal Logo. I estimate this one falls short of that, closer to the base of the AML.

I'm trying to calibrate my eye so that when I come across a Apollo XI 20th Anniversary, I'll know how to judge it. (of course the reference number is different)

15. Kwijibo May 2, 2016

Hello OSSFM

Yes actually the tritium is kind of flaking. It looks much more atrocious on the last pic than it actually is. As for the hands, a friend of mine who has "moonwatch only" says this hand have existed but not 100% sure.
    I can't make photos for the time being because I gave ot to my favorite watchmaker for a service and polishing. I guess it sat in a drawer for 20 years.
    I will take it back when I'm back from switzerland in 2 weeks. DOn't visit my appartment, everything is in the safe at the bank :p
    here's a picture of the movement. Dirty but in good condition. You'll notice one of the fixing screws is broken. except from that no part broken after first inspection except the stem.
    IMAG0485.jpg

Edited May 2, 2016
  16. robocaspar May 2, 2016

Nice pick up

17. Kwijibo May 3, 2016

Thanks robocaspar, in addition to that, the price was more than sweet. I'll put some pics when it's serviced.

18. glownyc May 3, 2016

Very nice shot. Congrats on the pickup.

19. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 3, 2016

I'm sure it's worth it since the price was low enough, but those hands aren't native to a 321, so I'd find a replacement set. I also find the lume to be a bit offputting, so this brings up the age old question of tasteful relume v. all-original crowd. If it was me, I'd have the dial re-done and I'd find a set of hands that could be matched. Wouldn't be all original, but would be 10x more attractive to my eye and since you already have a bit of margin built in through the low purchase price, it's not like you'd take a hit for it should you re-sell.

20. Kwijibo May 4, 2016

Hi Chicago frog and Glow

Yes, I'm thinking of having the dial corrected by some good pro. I know some. The tritium is indeed quite washed out. The hand will be replaced. just a matter of time.
    I had to give the bracelet to a friend who has a 68 one. It'as my business partner so... I will owe me a favor.
    this watch is worth putting a little money on based on the price I paid.