Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Jul 15, 2018

Just wanted to share a few snaps from my crazy summer trip, which sadly is coming to an end.

We started by flying from the US to northern Scotland for a 30 hour stop and 54 holes of golf, highlighted by 36 at Royal Dornoch, one of the top courses in the world.
    IMG_2817.JPG

Then to the south of France for a few days, including IMG_2868.JPG a visit to the Maacht Foundation and St. Paul de Vance.

Then to Paris for the weekend and a visit to a typical cafe.
    IMG_2915.JPG

Then a continent shift and visit to the mountains of Rwanda for a few days of hiking and some up close primate interaction.

DSCN0293.JPG

Then 100 miles east to the Serengeti to visit some more animals.

DSCN0762.JPG

Back to the south of France for Bastille Day fireworks from the harbor outside of Cannes (pic in next post).

Going to watch the World Cup final today with the crazy French and then flying to home to get back to work to pay for all of this fun. Truly a once in a lifetime trip.

2. calalum Jul 15, 2018

And the fireworks pic (and one more gratuitous Serengeti pic).

DSCN0969.JPG

DSCN0800.JPG

Magnix, JohnSteed, Mtek and 4 others like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2018

Did you capture this to intentionally look like the statue had a massive erection or was it accidental?

[​IMG]

Foo2rama, w154 and Jwit like this.
  4. MarktheTime Jul 15, 2018

Fantastic! Great trip - and pics!

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2018

Wow - you certainly got about a bit.
    Scotland to France not so bad - but I suppose if you’re ‘this side of the pond’ why not pop south of the equator while you’re at it?
    St Paul de Vence is a great place, I used to try and get there once a year for a break from work.
    So I am nostalgically very envious.
    The Fondation Maeght is superb and worth a visit for any modern art lover.
    When you consider a Giacometti ‘man’ sold for $140m and they have half a dozen of them ....
    And because you can’t see it properly, for the dog lovers amongst you, the little sculpture next to the bonkers Chagal is a brilliant Giacometti dog.
    EDE1194F-C113-45F1-A2BA-3226848FED0A.jpeg

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. w154 Jul 15, 2018

Such an amazing trip with varied destinations and photos. There are so many questions that could be asked of the OP, yet somehow we both thought of the same one.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. calalum Jul 15, 2018

Truth be told it was just a fortuitous coincidence. And it is truly a magical place that I have been fortunate enough to visit several times.

8. ConElPueblo Jul 15, 2018

Re. Giacometti, I grew up in a town in Denmark (way out west, a long distance from the capital) which in the middle of the twentieth century decided to brand itself as a town where culture was in focus. In 1966 the city council decided on buying a sculpture by Giacometti, but since it was election year they waited until that event had taken place before unravelling the small sculpture with the big price tag (about $26.000)... It's been standing in the middle of the town pedestrian walkway where our shops are, day and night.

[​IMG]

I remember standing on the cart with my arms around her after my final high school exams and dressing her up was a local tradition. After the above mentioned $140M auction result, some security measures has been taken, however, and she's now not longer allowed out at night :D

9. Dan S Jul 15, 2018

What a trip!