Forums Latest Members

Stupid question: US Members - where can I buy spring bars?

1. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Nov 7, 2018

I'm back in the US for a bit vising family and had one of the spring bars on my Speedmaster break on the flight over. Besides ordering online does anyone know a store that would sell 20mm spring bars? Like Target, Walmart or something? If not, I'll just order off Amazon.

Really annoying me not to have a watch on the wrist!

Thanks,
    Mike

Jwit and Millenary Watches like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 7, 2018

Nearest Ω Botike?

Jwit likes this.
  3. ext1 Nov 7, 2018

I was told that in the US you can ring up an OB and they will get you a spring bar for free, might wanna try that. But unfortunately I'm not aware if where one can pick these up at an actual store in the US.

4. Gordon Heavyfoot Nov 7, 2018

Walmart should have them and I know Harbor Freight does (I avoid Walmart like the plague).

Millenary Watches likes this.
  5. Dan S Nov 7, 2018

I'm not sure where you are, but any watchmaker or watch repair shop will have them. Just ask your family where they get their watch batteries changed.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. maanu Nov 7, 2018

Deafboy likes this.
  7. Professor Nov 10, 2018

PM me an address and I'll tape a few inside a Christmas card and mail them to you.
    I bought a 300+ pack of all sizes awhile back and I don't have much use for 20mm spring bars. I guess I can spare a few. How many do you need?

bloomy, MikiJ, BenBagbag and 2 others like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 10, 2018

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 11, 2018

First, I always keep an extra set in my toiletry bag when travelling, just in case. Second, although you can buy spring bars in many places, I do actually recommend Omega's bars, as they are much better quality than what you will get from most supply houses. If you have an OB near you, that would be where I would go.

Cheers, Al

Spacefruit, KingCrouchy and superfly like this.
  10. Millenary Watches Nov 13, 2018

The AD should be able to help you with that:)

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 13, 2018

Man, you are trying to reach 200 posts in under 2 hours...

gdupree, Archer and Uniqez like this.
  12. ptfly Nov 13, 2018

This worked for me. Keep in mind bracelet and strap bars are NOT the same.
    Especially if the shorter bracelet bars are needed the OB are your best bet.

13. bd-chrono Nov 13, 2018

Most people think that a springbar is a springbar until their watch falls off and hits the concrete. I would never use cheap generic springbars on a good quality watch. Almost all better quality swiss watch manufacturers have specific specification springbars for each model of watch. Not only does the length matter, the diameter of the body as well as the type of tip and diameter of tip depending on if the watch has lugs drilled all the way through or not. Nothing worse than trying to remove a bracelet with the wrong springbars because someone used shoulderless springbars. I have had watches where the bars had to be broken out or cut out to remove the bracelet. Rolex has over a dozen different springbars just for 20mm lugs.

ptfly likes this.
  14. Rglaz Nov 14, 2018

15. bd-chrono Nov 15, 2018

I puchcased 4 springbars for my Omega Speedmaster from the Omega boutique in New York city for $1.00 each,

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2018

There are no stupid questions, only stupid members :thumbsup:

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  17. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Nov 15, 2018

How good can a $1 spring bar be? No, really, how good? No wonder they break all the time. In over 40 years of wearing watches, including hundreds of hours underwater, motorcycle touring and all matter of physical misadventures, I've never, ever had one break or depart. Of course, under the right circumstances they should break, which is why solid springbars are never, ever a good idea. But there are definite differences in quality, so if you care get a genuine Omega Speedmaster unit do so. "Pay more than a dollar." Anybody know what movie that's from? I'll send you a genuine Rolex springbar, which is why mine never break, if you get the right answer. Oh wait: no I won't.

superfly likes this.
  18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 16, 2018

I think a lot of the generic ones are a bit less than the $1/ ea Omega ones when bought in bulk ($0.20 - $0.40 from what I have seen). I have to imagine one that retails for $0.20 is kinda possibly not the best one made.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2018

Hey did I ever ask you about why the Puss Moth caterpillar ??